Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/19/2005 4:53:02 PM EDT
How hot is it? I know that's pretty subjective but aproximately how hot is 'too hot to touch'?
I'm asking because I left my gun in the car the other day and when I reholstered after getting back in the car that bitch was mother F;;;;;;g hot! Ow!
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 4:54:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Any chance of it getting hot enough in the Florida sun to cook off a round or two ?

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 4:56:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 4:57:53 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
How hot is it? I know that's pretty subjective but aproximately how hot is 'too hot to touch'?
I'm asking because I left my gun in the car the other day and when I reholstered after getting back in the car that bitch was mother F;;;;;;g hot! Ow!

Depends on the metal
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 4:58:57 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Any chance of it getting hot enough in the Florida sun to cook off a round or two ?

I hope not with all the ammo in my car. I use my car or my aluminum shed to bake AlumahydeII, it get's frikken hot in there.
I was thinking about building a metal box and painting it black to bake Norrel's or GK. I wonder how hot it would get inside?
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:01:31 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Not likely, I stored my CCW 1911 and some revolvers in my car over the years hear in Phoenix where it some times reaches 120 degrees in the shade during the Summer and I never had a cook off.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:02:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Where's Ed McMahon when you need him?

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:02:45 PM EDT
[#7]
When metal takes on this appearance, then it's no longer safe to touch.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:03:31 PM EDT
[#8]
My fingers can handle around 180° for about 15 seconds.  That was food service fingers.  My fingers now can't do quite the same. :)  Other parts of the body will be significantly more sensitive.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:03:43 PM EDT
[#9]

Looks like an AstroPop!

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:08:51 PM EDT
[#10]
120F to 140F is in the "that's hot" range, with duration decreasing as temperature goes up. (The macho coefficient can add 10-20 degrees)

Depending on the emissivity of the surface (blackened vs. stainless) it may go well beyond that (especially in a closed vehicle)

Raytek makes some nice IR thermometers if you are really curious...

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43421&item=4382579709

(Fixed emissivity on that model, but will get you in the ballpark & handy around the kitchen - I have that model plus one that is well beyond the capabilities (& price) of that unit - very good price on that @ $65, btw)

ETA: residential hot water systems are set between 120-140F

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:12:25 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
120F to 140F is in the "that's hot" range, with duration decreasing as temperature goes up. (The macho coefficient can add 10-20 degrees)

Depending on the emissivity of the surface (blackened vs. stainless) it may go well beyond that (especially in a closed vehicle)

Raytek makes some nice IR thermometers if you are really curious...

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43421&item=4382579709

(Fixed emissivity on that model, but will get you in the ballpark & handy around the kitchen - I have that model plus one that is well beyond the capabilities (& price) of that unit - very good price on that @ $65, btw)

ETA: residential hot water systems are set between 120-140F

Can an object in the car get hotter than the interior of the car or would different objects just feel hotter?
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:16:12 PM EDT
[#12]
It is generally considered that 140 degrees F. is when something is hot enough to cause pain.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:25:33 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Can an object in the car get hotter than the interior of the car or would different objects just feel hotter?

Absolutely.

If I have a white car with a white interior, and I put a black gun on the seat or dash (in sunlight) I would guess it will easily be 20 degrees hotter.

(actually, that is not a bad idea for a test, perhaps when work slows down a bit, I will do a "car of truth" test...
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:33:16 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Yes.  Different objects will feel hotter due to their thermal conductivity.  Something that doesn't conduct heat as fast will not put as much heat into your skin as something that conducts heat well.  Imagine a 140 degree block of pine wood vs. a 140 degree block of aluminum.    You will probably be able to hold onto the wood indefinately while you will want to set the aluminum down after a few seconds.

Kent
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:38:13 PM EDT
[#15]
thermal conductivity is indeed part of the puzzle, but emissivity also plays a role.

If I put a black aluminum heatsink and a polished aluminum heatsink on the dash of a car, which will be hotter?

(or in more practical terms: if you wear a white cotton t-shirt or a black cotton t-shirt on a sunny day, which will you feel hotter in?)
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:42:01 PM EDT
[#16]
its too hot when you touch it and immediatley think to yourself, "well, thats gonna leave a blister or two"
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:45:15 PM EDT
[#17]
It gets brutally hot in my car in the summer. So hot in fact, that I will take a wet rag to wipe down the shifter and armrest when I get in.
My gun was very hot, hotter than it's ever been from shooting although I dont make a habit of touching the barrel.

I found this interesting link:www.pathtofreedom.com/pathproject/offthegrid/solaroven.shtml
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:50:54 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
It gets brutally hot in my car in the summer. So hot in fact, that I will take a wet rag to wipe down the shifter and armrest when I get in.
My gun was very hot, hotter than it's ever been from shooting although I dont make a habit of touching the barrel.

I found this interesting link:www.pathtofreedom.com/pathproject/offthegrid/solaroven.shtml

leave a white towel or tshirt over the armrest/shifter/steering wheel and you should see a noticeable drop in temperatures.

(for max temp in cars, I'm sure there are a few sites about leaving pets in vehicles, gotta go so can't google them at the moment...

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 6:03:18 PM EDT
[#19]
From all that I have read, you don't have to worry about rounds cooking off.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 6:09:46 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
From all that I have read, you don't have to worry about rounds cooking off.

I'm not worried about that, I've been trying to find out how hot it gets a gun in a car vis-a-vi curing Norell's Moly Resin.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top