Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/7/2010 8:12:50 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:19:12 AM EDT
Better late than never.

Go ahead and rotate them.

I never heard of the increased wear theory.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:23:04 AM EDT
Some places won't rotate, depending on wear...liabilities.

I rotate my own tires.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:24:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/7/2010 8:25:59 AM EDT by VBC]
I would say you'll ruin them faster by not rotating now than any increased wear due to rotating late (if that's even a real issue).

I tend to rotate mine around 10K or when they're starting to appear to wear unevenly. I like to do this kind of stuff myself because I also take the opportunity to clean the brake grime off the insides of the rims and check the brake pads/shoes.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:26:03 AM EDT
I would think as long as they are wearing normally with no excessive wear due to alignment or balance issues you could wait even more before rotating. I imagine thats going to vary from one vehicle to another, driving styles, etc. though.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:31:10 AM EDT
10:45PM
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:35:47 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Eric802:
I seem to recall hearing that after a certain point, the tire wear is such that if you rotate them, they'll actually wear faster than if you'd just left them alone.

Opinions?

I don't get it. If the front tires wear x% faster than the rears, how does rotating them change that ratio?

I was lackadaisical about rotating the tires on my car –– often costs around $60 to do it here :-/. Finally bought some jackstands and did it myself –– after about 15k miles. The nice thing is that at this point, I'll only have to rotate them once :-)

-WhyTanFox

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:24:05 AM EDT
most fwd from my experience its better just to leave em. the fronts wear fine and rears wear much less so.

RWD is a diff ballgame and all kinda of feathering and odd wear can result from lack of rotation.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:25:44 AM EDT
Originally Posted By WhyTanFox:
I seem to recall hearing that after a certain point, the tire wear is such that if you rotate them, they'll actually wear faster than if you'd just left them alone.

Opinions?

I don't get it. If the front tires wear x% faster than the rears, how does rotating them change that ratio?

I was lackadaisical about rotating the tires on my car –– often costs around $60 to do it here :-/. Finally bought some jackstands and did it myself –– after about 15k miles. The nice thing is that at this point, I'll only have to rotate them once :-)

-WhyTanFox

You take a tire that is "worn in " on one axle, and now force it to "wear in" to another position.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:35:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/7/2010 10:36:01 AM EDT by uxb]
If you can see the air in them, it's too late.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:37:41 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Rick-OShay:
Originally Posted By WhyTanFox:

You take a tire that is "worn in " on one axle, and now force it to "wear in" to another position.

OK, I can see that.

However, now you're talking about an alignment issue that needs to be fixed, and that is really independent of tire rotation as preventive maintenance.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:39:09 AM EDT
Here's a somewhat related question. I have V8 4Runner, which has full-time 4 wheel drive. Do the tires in the front or the tires in the rear wear faster?

I'm asking because when I purchased it the rear tires were more worn, and I'm not sure if rotating the tires will help even it out?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:44:47 AM EDT
... I seem to recall hearing that after a certain point, the tire wear is such that if you rotate them, they'll actually wear faster than if you'd just left them alone. This is on a front-wheel drive Santa Fe, no 4wd or AWD or anything. I don't mind getting in and having them rotated, but I don't want to do it at this point if it's only going to accelerate the wear.

Opinions?

Basically, your front tires wear out a bit faster than your rear tires for a FWD car. The front tires are aligned such that the toe-in is greater than the rear tires. As the car moves forward, the toe-in changes from being pointing inward to being straight. This makes the tires scrub the pavement more thus wearing out the tread. You can wear out your rear tires faster than the front if you drive a RWD car and regularly floor it such that you tires squeel. On RWD, you still have toe-in on the front tires so all tires may wear evenly.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:50:34 AM EDT
There's front wheel toe-in on a RWD car as well. For RWD cars that can burn the rubber off the rim, I notice that the center of the rear tires will wear faster. The outer edges of the fronts will wear from the toe-in and turning.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:52:26 AM EDT
I never rotate tires. It is a waste of time and money. If the fronts wear faster then I replace the fronts sooner. Rotating tires hides alignment issues that should be fixed not hidden.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:59:10 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Partisan:
I never rotate tires. It is a waste of time and money. If the fronts wear faster then I replace the fronts sooner. Rotating tires hides alignment issues that should be fixed not hidden.

Completely disagree.

Ive owned mostly 4x4 vehicles either solid front axle or IFS, and I find that any design I have owned, no matter how fresh or how worn, will benefit from rotation.

I find that if for nothing else, rotation allows for re-balancing. When I buy tires, I get lifetime rotation/rebalancing thrown in, or no sale.

I have a set of 35s on my Jeep right now with 15k miles, and look great. Rotated and rebalanced every 5k., right with the oil change.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:00:45 PM EDT
I though everbody here drove super fancy sports cars, the kind that have wider tires in the rear thus voiding the need to rotate.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:04:41 PM EDT

Opinions?

rotate them
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:17:19 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Nightdriver:
Better late than never.

Go ahead and rotate them.

I never heard of the increased wear theory.

You don't rotate them when you hav only 3nd of tread on them
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:25:24 PM EDT
I bought a new 2008 Volvo S40 and it is AWD. The Michelin Pilot tires were wearing really bad by 10,000 miles and I rotate and balance them every 5,000 miles. My alighnment was good but still these tires make HUGE road noise( Wa wa wa wa wa wa wa wa) going down the road. My local Volvo repair(dealer is a rip off) said it is because the tires are cheap and Michelins suck ass. What do you guys think:

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:25:43 PM EDT
tag
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:28:58 PM EDT
Originally Posted By SkagSig40:
I bought a new 2008 Volvo S40 and it is AWD. The Michelin Pilot tires were wearing really bad by 10,000 miles and I rotate and balance them every 5,000 miles. My alighnment was good but still these tires make HUGE road noise( Wa wa wa wa wa wa wa wa) going down the road. My local Volvo repair(dealer is a rip off) said it is because the tires are cheap and Michelins suck ass. What do you guys think:

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i24/SkagSig40/100_1797.jpg

Michelins are highly regarded in my experience.

It could be a bad wheel bearing(s). They will make a wa-wa-wa, or cyclical whirring noise, just like that.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:24:36 PM EDT
Originally Posted By VBC:

Michelins are highly regarded in my experience.

It could be a bad wheel bearing(s). They will make a wa-wa-wa, or cyclical whirring noise, just like that.

The sound changes on different black top. New fresh black top make the sound really loud.On older rougher roads it is not as noticable.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:51:19 PM EDT

Have not lived with Pilot's everyday, but many sets of Energy MXV4's. Your tread pattern looks like a dead ringer for them. I have always found the Michelins to have excellent dry traction, good wet when not worn out, crappy in snow, and deadly on ice. As far as noise I replaced a set of MXV4's cheaping out with some Yokohama YK 520's. Roughly saving $75 a tire. You wanna talk about noise- OMG the Yoko's are a freight train coming. Wet and dry traction worse as well. I think they will be better in the winter however. I think maybe the AVID's would fare better and be closer to the Michelin performance I am used to, albeit for a little more scratch due to the amount of contact the tread block design has. I have also tried Pirelli a few years back and not been impressed (talking all-season here). Mine have all been on front-drivers which get the tires rotated every other oil change. Never see any kind of wear my right foot can't account for. Very even and smooth. My daily driver gets new shoes every 1.5-2 years (2 is pushing real hard), well below what they are rated for, but that's my right foots fault.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:07:02 PM EDT
Hmmm...I don't rotate tires very often...and then I just swap front to rear on the same side...non of that left rear on right front shit. I've had bad experiences reversing the direction of rotation on tires a couple times doing that.

I just run until there's a noticable difference in tread depth between drive tires and steer tires(all my buggys are rear wheel drive, or 4x4), then swap 'em around.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:14:53 PM EDT
Whaaa

My tires rotate every time I go somewhere......
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:15:54 PM EDT
your front one's will wear out faster than the rear due to the wt of the engine and when you brake all the car's weight goes forward onto the tires, you rotate them to keep them wearing evenly, some places offer lifetime rotation when you buy tires and you should do that every 6,000 to 10,000 miles, if they are now worn down too much like about 4/32's or less I wouldn't spend the money to rotate them since you are going to need new ones soon anyway, but if you got free rotation , then hit it. This is what I was told last time I bought tires, however I am bad about rotating them and yep, usually wear out the ones in front before the rear ones need replaced.
Top Top