Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/31/2003 10:07:35 PM EDT
Whoa! This was an very interesting documentary, learned more about the Amish and their lives than I've ever known.

[url=http://us.imdb.com/Title?0293088]Devil's Playground[/url]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 6:29:30 AM EDT
[#1]
about 1/4 of the worlds Amish live about 20 miles from me,Anyway they do have their problems, not alot of the kids want to do it any more and I don't blame them, Drugs/alcohol are not a new problem, Years ago I used to work in Sugarcreek,Ohio, right on the edge of Amish country,every once in a while you'd hear about a drug bust out in Amish country,the Amish would do their best to keep it hushed up, but it would get out anyway, they're not any better than anyone else..I don't hate the Amish like alot ao people do, but I see them for what they are,most are hypocrites,they're not allowed to have a phone in the house...but a cell phone is ok...yeah ,right...they bend all of their own rules to suit their needs.. the only ones who really stick to it are the old order amish ,and there aren't many of them left,
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 6:43:08 AM EDT
[#2]
They are well armed...with bolt action rifles
and do a lot of shooting..
Too bad they wont fight for the country that gives them shelter or those who died to protect their way of life
They are are more a cult than a religion but they mind their own business and the govt. leaves them alone
For that I envy them..too bad the rest of us dont enjoy that kind of [s]protection..[/s]freedom
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 6:47:04 AM EDT
[#3]
I live around a lot of both Amish and Mennonites.

I will never forget when we first moved to this area from the city, my little sister saw some of the women walking in a parking lot. She hollared at the top of her lungs with open car windows, "LOOK! PILGRIMS!" I think she was about 7.

[:D]

We used to make dub copies of cassette albums for all the mennonite kids that we went to school with. They would sneak and buy a cassette radio and keep it in the barn.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 6:50:26 AM EDT
[#4]
I saw that on HBO, I live in a area thick with them, and know them well, they are a different class of people, I unlike many others do not admire them, the Amish, are bigots to the max, we are the English, a race of people to be scammed, used, and profited by. When I hear folks say they want to go visit Amish country I just laugh, if they only knew what they are really like. Amish baked goods, yeah right, just what I want , baked goods by people who don't have electric refrigeration for the food ingredients, no running water to clean things off, the list goes on. One of the biggest pranks Amish boys will do is visit a girls house and shit in the oven, sinks, floor.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 6:53:54 AM EDT
[#5]
I consider myself an expert on all things Amish because I saw "Witness".
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 6:55:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
One of the biggest pranks Amish boys will do is visit a girls house and shit in the oven, sinks, floor.
View Quote

WTF did that come from?
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 7:00:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
One of the biggest pranks Amish boys will do is visit a girls house and shit in the oven, sinks, floor.
View Quote

WTF did that come from?
View Quote
Like I said I live in a area thick with them, and I talk with them frequently, they will comment on how some boys came over and did that stuff to their house, I am like WTF, I don't understand it . It is a Amish thing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top