Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/22/2006 7:18:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/22/2006 7:23:43 AM EDT by DocBrooks]
Lets say, your son, maybe a nephew, a friend, someone who you have at least some interest in further than a stranger. They ask you, for what type of thing they should pursue, what would you say? Poll coming.

ETA: I'm looking for what your honest to god advice would be. Anyone who has ever been poor in their life can honestly say, sometimes doing what you love isn't worth being poor. It's just the reality.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:35:48 AM EDT
19 yrs ago I was spent about a year bumming around doing odd jobs and such. The retail store I just spent 8 yrs with closed up and left town, leaving me without the career I thought I had with them.

So I hooked up with a construction company replacing sidewalks in a nearby, small town. At the end of the project we had replaced nearly one mile of sidewalk. That's a bit of concrete. The crew foreman was a man I had been acquainted with before I started, and he knew my dad as well. He had been doing concrete work for 40 yrs by that time. When the project was winding down and it was just him and I finishing up he told me "Find yourself a job so you don't have to work the rest of your life."

I took that to heart. I now have a rather easy job, even if it's rather "non-glamorous" and I sure don't work hard at it most days.

I pass on Ray's advice whenever I can.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:39:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/22/2006 7:39:37 AM EDT by vanilla_gorilla]

Originally Posted By DocBrooks:
Lets say, your son, maybe a nephew, a friend, someone who you have at least some interest in further than a stranger. They ask you, for what type of thing they should pursue, what would you say? Poll coming.

ETA: I'm looking for what your honest to god advice would be. Anyone who has ever been poor in their life can honestly say, sometimes doing what you love isn't worth being poor. It's just the reality.

I think you have to find a happy medium somewhere. You may enjoy flipping burgers for a living, but your family can't eat your pure happiness.

By the same token though, going to ajob that makes you absolutely miserable but pays enough to make you rich isn't going to do you any good, unless you plan on doing it only long enough to get enough money to quit.

I am fighting this fight within myself right now, though on a smaller scale, and I can tell you, nothing good will come of trying to make a career of a job you despise.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:02:48 AM EDT
The only thing that sucks more then working at a Job you hate is getting old and always thinking "What if I did XYZ" or "I wish I did...." etc. Money is just a small part of a happy and fulfilling life, it’s just that most people can’t see that ‘Forest’ through the Trees. I have been in the Plastics Industry for 25+ years, started working on Machines and now own the Company. The last 5 years have been tough with all the 'BS' the State and Feds come up with. The Wife told me this winter that when the Kids are out of College next year I have to retire and do something I really enjoy. She watched her Father work himself to a Stroke when she was 10 and that has been on her mind these last couple years.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:57:03 AM EDT

Originally Posted By DocBrooks:

Depends on the person. Everyone has a different personality. Some may be able to handle a job they don't like because they pay is good and others may not. But, I would not discourage following one's dreams unless I'm dispensing a reality check, like "You can't sing, but go to school and try being a music teacher instead."
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:03:26 AM EDT

Originally Posted By vanilla_gorilla:

By the same token though, going to ajob that makes you absolutely miserable but pays enough to make you rich isn't going to do you any good, unless you plan on doing it only long enough to get enough money to quit.

I am fighting this fight within myself right now, though on a smaller scale, and I can tell you, nothing good will come of trying to make a career of a job you despise.

That's where I am now. I'm young, just a few months shy of 22 and I've worked for a company for about 3 years and been absolutely miserable for more than 2.5 years. There's no way I could do it another month without getting fired for kicking the hell out of some people, so it's time to leave. At least it's gotten me enough money in the bank to leave their asses and pursue other careers. MJD
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:15:38 AM EDT
I would tell them to do what will make them happy. It is up to them where their happiness comes from - be it from doing something they love doing or from their paycheck. Personally, I am not materialistic so doing something for a big paycheck is not for me.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:29:08 AM EDT
Yeah, I agree with Ogre ...

To some people, "peace of mind" = being happy with what they do, regardless of pay ...

... and to others, it means making big bank, having the title ("vice president of operations") or just having the corner office.

Let them make the decision. They've got to take responsibility for their own actions and career path.

That said if my kid said he wanted to take up underwater basketweaving, it is time for
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:31:24 AM EDT
Do what you want and the money will follow.

Reasonably of course.

I know I'd rather be happy then rich,

but at the same time having a roof over my head and dinner on the table makes me pretty happy.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:41:51 AM EDT
Shit man, you guys should have heard the advice that my old man used to give me:

"Everyone hates their job, that's why they call it work. But if you don't shut up and do your job then you wind up a bum on the street."

"Happiness is overrated. Everyone always wants to be happy at work. I'm happy when I come home with my paycheck."

"Liking your job doesn't put food on the table. How much are you going to like your job when your living in a dump of an apartment and driving a piece of shit car?"

Yep, the old man wasn't much one for encouraging you to chase your dreams.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:51:06 AM EDT

Originally Posted By motown_steve:
Shit man, you guys should have heard the advice that my old man used to give me:

"Everyone hates their job, that's why they call it work. But if you don't shut up and do your job then you wind up a bum on the street."

"Happiness is overrated. Everyone always wants to be happy at work. I'm happy when I come home with my paycheck."

"Liking your job doesn't put food on the table. How much are you going to like your job when your living in a dump of an apartment and driving a piece of shit car?"

Yep, the old man wasn't much one for encouraging you to chase your dreams.

Your old man probably saw many try and fail at their dreams and wind up flat broke. His advise, while uninspiring, is practical and relevant.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:52:59 AM EDT
Do what makes you happy enough. So long as you can get by with a decent amount of happiness, without incurring too much debt, and stash away a few bucks for your retirement, you're good to go.

My family has a history of heart problems. I'll be damned if I let my career trigger an early heart attack or some other stress related malady so I can die when I'm 45. I work to support my life, not the other way around.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:54:43 AM EDT
Poll incomplete.

Figure out what you love. Find a way to make living doing it.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:56:26 AM EDT
Here in the PRK the people making the most $ for the least work are govt union employees. Look at the prisons - high school grads making $ 60,000 base with up to $ 30,000 in O.T.. union benefits and retire early.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:59:36 AM EDT
I look at it like this.
I dont like work. Period. There is NO job I would do for free because I enjoy doing it. I would rather be fishin, campin, watchin TV or at the range.
So, since I HAVE to work to pay the bills, and theres always something I would rather do besides having to work, I will tell them go for the job thats pays as much cold hard cash as you can find.
Its called work for a reason. Cause it aint fun. So you might as well get PAID to do it.

That said, I havent found a job I truly hated doing. I've done it all from shoveling animal shit to cleaning rotten grain out of bins to making coat hangers to stocking fruit on shelves. I didnt hate any of it, but I'd sure rather be at the range.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:00:30 AM EDT
Work sucks...but I have to work to financially afford my house & lifestyle & provide for my family. So if I'm gonna work and make some money, then I'm limited by income when pursuing my actual interests. Thus...work sucks....but if possible, you might as well do something you can tolerate and succeed at.

Don't do something you hate, don't quit a job before you have another lined up, pick a career path and work into the credentials, don't be a pussy, don't work over 55 hours a week, and don't promote yourself out of a job.

That's my career advice.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:05:46 AM EDT
Do what you what you have passion and aptitude for. Most of the time, money will follow.

I work with millionair's everyday. They work pretty much 24/7, but they don't do it for the money.

I'm certainly no a millionaire, but I really haven't had to work since 1989.

Those who love what they do, never have to work a day in their lives.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:06:35 AM EDT
A normal full time job is about 2000 hours a year. That's a shitload of time wasted if you hate your job.
Top Top