Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/19/2008 1:33:28 PM EDT
I know that a receiver that was originally a manufactured complete rifle cannot be used as a pistol. But at what point is a stripped receiver designated as a pistol or rifle?  Is it when Form 4473 is filled out?

Can anyone offer some input or point me in a direction so that I can research the correct answer.

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:36:38 PM EDT
[#1]
when the Form 4473 is filled out.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:38:57 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

+1this is what i was told by my local FFL
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:44:51 PM EDT
[#3]
there is a block that is checked marked one or the other...
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:49:55 PM EDT
[#4]
My last new lowers transferred out as "stripped lower" on the 4473. I guess they get to become a pistol or rifle at assembly time?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:51:20 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's what I thought.  Thanks for confirming that.

Also, while it's true that a stripped lower that has been registered as a rifle cannot legally be used as a pistol.  Isn't it true that a stripped lower that was registered as a pistol CAN be used to build a rifle as long as it's at legal barrel length or SRBed... is this correct?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:53:07 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+2
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:53:48 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Also, while it's true that a stripped lower that has been registered as a rifle cannot legally be used as a pistol.  Isn't it true that a stripped lower that was registered as a pistol CAN be used to build a rifle as long as it's at legal barrel length or SRBed... is this correct?

yes, and once it's a rifle, it can't go back to a pistol
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:07:57 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Um, didn't Thompson Center establish that a pistol can be made into a rifle and back into a pistol as long as you do the swaps in the proper order so as to never have a pistol barrel and a stock on at the same time?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:03:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks to everyone for the input.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:58:16 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Um, didn't Thompson Center establish that a pistol can be made into a rifle and back into a pistol as long as you do the swaps in the proper order so as to never have a pistol barrel and a stock on at the same time?

I believe so, thats why you can buy 16" barrels and stocks for Glocks, 1911's, and High Points.
Link Posted: 8/26/2008 9:34:27 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm not sure I understand which you're asking: when the stripped lower becomes a firearm, or whether building it as one form or the other prevents it from being built as any other type.

Manufacturers may build lowers with one intent or another and list them that way, but AFAIK the only thing you have to worry about is running afoul of the laws that prevent various unlawful configurations of this stock/that barrel, etc.

As long as you don't have a "stock" on your "pistol" (as referred to above) you really don't have anything to worry about.

Note that the form 4473 only has to do with the gun as sold, or in the case of a receiver, what type of receiver it is (rifle/pistol). In the case of a stripped receiver, or more to the point, frame, the only way to determine whether you're legal to own it is to run the check as appropriate for that type of firearm. What you do with it after you own it is governed by other laws, such as the NFA, etc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top