Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2005 6:25:24 AM EDT
I was watching "Over There" the other night and noticed that Smirnoff, Jim Beam and Jack Daniels all had commercials running during the show.  I wasn't aware that they were permitted to advertise on TV again.  I thought it was outlawed in the 60's or 70's.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:27:08 AM EDT
[#1]
IIRC it's Because FX is a cable channel, they don't have the same restrictions as regular network TV.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:32:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Hi DV8!

I don't know that they were banned from TV advertising.  I believe they were banned from sponsoring sporting events, and for the most part, focused more on printed ads and distributor promotions.

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:33:40 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I was watching "Over There" the other night and noticed that Smirnoff, Jim Beam and Jack Daniels all had commercials running during the show.  I wasn't aware that they were permitted to advertise on TV again.  I thought it was outlawed in the 60's or 70's.

They came back about a year ago as I remember.

I love the barcardi and cola ads.   hehe.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:35:06 AM EDT
[#4]
I can't think of a reason they shouldn't be allowed to...ya know....free country and all.    If the states can advertise lottery (gambling), then why not private business advertising vices?

roy d...just the libertarian in me
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:37:04 AM EDT
[#5]
The ban on advertising was voluntary, IIRC.

It has been in the news for tha past few years now that hard liqour ads would be back on the air.

Why should I care...to much of anything will kill you.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 8:00:34 AM EDT
[#6]
All the ads you see on TV are for the malt beverages that those companies sell, such as Jack & Cola adn Bacardi Silver. They dont advertise the hard liquor itself, just thier malt beverages, which doesn't even have any of the hard liquor in it. It is a convenient way for for hard liquor companies to advertise their brand on TV without actually advertising hard liquor.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 8:18:18 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
All the ads you see on TV are for the malt beverages that those companies sell, such as Jack & Cola adn Bacardi Silver. They dont advertise the hard liquor itself, just thier malt beverages, which doesn't even have any of the hard liquor in it. It is a convenient way for for hard liquor companies to advertise their brand on TV without actually advertising hard liquor.

TLGS,

No, having managed a few bars and bartended in a few more, I know the difference between a "malt beverage" and "liquor."

The first ad was of a sword with a red sash and tassle on the handle swinging around.  It comes to a stop with a shot of Smirnoff resting on the blade.

The second commercial was for Jim Beam.  Showed the distilling process over the years.  Has the precious nectar in the various historic bottles.

The last commercial I saw was for Jack Daniels.  It was taking a shot at Paris France I believe.  Showed the old fashioned distillation and the oak barrels getting filled and loaded.  Don't recall how it related to Paris, but I recall it made me thirsty for a Jack and Coke.

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 8:19:41 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

It has been in the news for tha past few years now that hard liqour ads would be back on the air.

You are correct on all three points.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 8:22:57 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are correct on all three points.

To much guns and ammo?
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 8:26:34 AM EDT
[#10]
I think the liqour companies all mutually agreed to pull TV advertising to prevent a law from being passed.  It was a "gentleman's agreement" to not show commercials.

I guess they decided it was time to throw that out the window.  It won't be long before they are banned.

After all, Oreo cookies are known by the state of california to cause cancer.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 8:28:37 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

You are wrong. No offense, but you are wrong.

Captain Morgan ads?   Crown Royal ads?  Bacardi and diet coke ads?

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 8:30:37 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are wrong. No offense, but you are wrong.

Captain Morgan ads?   Crown Royal ads?  Bacardi and diet coke ads?

+.9bar

Hard liqour companies had a self imposed ban on advertising that they said to hell with a year or two ago.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top