Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/24/2013 4:24:24 PM EDT
When did this trend of cheapening true heroes begin?

The best example of a real hero I can think of is Audie Murphy jumping up on the burning tank while his men retreated.  He could have retreated as well with no shame but he chose to act in a manner above and beyond what was expected of him and at the risk of great peril.

You don't become a hero by doing the job you signed up to do.  Cops, Firefighters, and Military are often times referred to as heroes because of the jobs they do.  But to be sure, simply signing up for one of these jobs does not make anyone a hero.  By and large, most of those who do these jobs do what is expected of them and fulfill their responsibilities and promises - what they are supposed to do - admirably.  Again, they are not all heroes just because they signed up.  But some of these people have become heroes because - at great risk to themselves, they have taken actions beyond what is/are typically expected of them at their respective jobs.

I have heard countless times, of some quaterback acting heroically because he stood in the pocket and took a shot to buy time to throw the winning touchdown.  Not heroic.  He did his job.

I have heard of Heroic teachers taking extra time to help students.  Not Heroic.  They did their job, albeit a bit more than others, but did not sacrifice life and limb.

The stay at home mom is not a hero.  She did her job...she took care of her kids...she was supposed to do that.

Rock stars, "guitar-'heroes'", and Hollywood stars are not heroes.  Many are the antithesis of a hero.

Politicians are not heroes simply by being politicians.  Rand Paul is not a hero, he is a man with character and principal who does and stands by what he took an oath to do.

In reality, heroes are precious few.

But Role Models - good hard working people, people who show character traits that are desirable such as integrity abound.

There are countless brave and courageous people who are role models and are people others should strive to be like.

Sorry Mr. Johnson (The Rock).  You will not find a Hero if you make a reality show out of it.  Anyone who joins a TV show for the purpose of becoming a hero is automatically disqualified.  It doesn't work that way.

True heroes are made in a moment.  Made in that instance in which most men/women would real and opt for self preservation instead of sacrifice.  

There is a fine line and the hero label should only be handed out very sparingly.

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:26:06 PM EDT
[#1]
You are a hero for bringing this to out attention.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:26:56 PM EDT
[#2]
When Comrade Stalin makes you a hero,  you are Hero of the Soviet Union.

"Hero" is cheapened nowadays.  Today's hero, tomorrow's forgotten person.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:27:03 PM EDT
[#3]
You're right. Now that racheal jeantel, that's a real hero.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:28:28 PM EDT
[#4]
After 9/11 everyone became a hero.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:29:01 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You're right. Now that racheal jeantel, that's a real hero.
View Quote

Maybe everyone should chip in and buy her a hero sammich?

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:29:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Actually, it was around 1996, when the first single mother bravely raised a child.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:29:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Growing up my dad was my hero. He sacrificed his time and his body to provide a better life for my brothers and I. Fuck you if you think he doesn't fall into what you think a hero is.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:31:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Growing up my dad was my hero. He sacrificed his time and his body to provide a better life for my brothers and I. Fuck you if you think he doesn't fall into what you think a hero is.
View Quote

I do the same for my kids.  I hope I can be a Role Model for them.

That doesn't fall into my definition....so...no offense taken at the fuck you.

ETA: although I will say that falls closer to heroic than Peyton Manning stepping back into the pocket and making a good toss.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:33:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That wasn't directed directly at you. It was in general.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:36:13 PM EDT
[#10]
The first time BHO used it.

(I am beginning to suspect that this thread isn't going to turn out the way the OP expected it would.)
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:40:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Yoss is that really you?
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:40:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Heroes are something you hold in your mind. You cannot be told who is and who isn't a hero... you either see them as one or you don't.

Some twerps see everyone as a hero. That guy cleaned up my poop? He's a hero! That lady fell down those stairs and landed on Oprah? Hero. That kid farted in the pool next to me? Total hero.

The way I see it the term hero gets bandied about too much because most people have lost all respect... both for themselves and for others... so now they need to be told who to respect, and who better to universally respect than a declared hero?

In my book you need to save at least one life from an actual life threatening situation or put your life on the line in an actual life threatening situation for the greater good to be called a true hero. You musk risk all to be a hero. You don't necessarily have to succeed, it is the noble act that makes you a hero.

Learning to read at 30, taking the stand in a show trial and mush-mouthing your testimony or creating a new kind of donut hamburger makes you just like everybody else.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:41:10 PM EDT
[#13]
OP is my hero for bringing up that hero is used wayyyy too much
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:42:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:45:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Yoss is that really you?
View Quote

Yes, yes it's me....But I'm no hero just cus I dropped a few bombs....Snowden is cold.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:45:35 PM EDT
[#16]
I agree. It cheapens the word.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:46:03 PM EDT
[#17]
About the same time everyone started getting participation trophy's.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:46:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Heroes are something you hold in your mind. You cannot be told who is and who isn't a hero... you either see them as one or you don't.

Some twerps see everyone as a hero. That guy cleaned up my poop? He's a hero! That lady fell down those stairs and landed on Oprah? Hero. That kid farted in the pool next to me? Total hero.

The way I see it the term hero gets bandied about too much because most people have lost all respect... both for themselves and for others... so now they need to be told who to respect, and who better to universally respect than a declared hero?

In my book you need to save at least one life from an actual life threatening situation or put your life on the line in an actual life threatening situation for the greater good to be called a true hero. You musk risk all to be a hero. You don't necessarily have to succeed, it is the noble act that makes you a hero.

Learning to read at 30, taking the stand in a show trial and mush-mouthing your testimony or creating a new kind of donut hamburger makes you just like everybody else.
View Quote

Agreed.

I think you are correct that Respect, or lack there of has a lot to do with the cheapening of the word.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:47:16 PM EDT
[#19]
When sports announcers started tagging the term on any professional player that is doing his/her job.  Especially in football.

Athletes are not heroes...well, there were a few that served in our military, and I would also amend my statement to include Jesse Owens during the 1936 Olympics. That was about as heroic as you can get for an athlete. It still doesn't hold a flame to those men and women that put their life on the line to protect our country or our well being.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:48:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Actually, it was around 1996, when the first single mother bravely raised a child.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, the true hero was Norma McCorvey, who bravely lied about being raped and sought to terminate her unjust pregnancy.  She possessed the heroism needed to take on the Evil unfairness of Texas law and carry her third child to term, because she had no choice.  In doing so, though, she led a movement.  She... was... "Roe."

She remains the only lesbian I know of with three children from three different fathers.  That's a hero, my friends.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:50:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

No, the true hero was Norma McCorvey, who bravely lied about being raped and sought to terminate her unjust pregnancy.  She possessed the heroism needed to take on the Evil unfairness of Texas law and carry her third child to term, because she had no choice.  In doing so, though, she led a movement.  She... was... "Roe."

She remains the only lesbian I know of with three children from three different fathers.  That's a hero, my friends.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can only hope I raise my daughter to be as glorious and strong.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:50:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Heroes, real heroes, dont cheapen.  Here's one.
link

Here's another one.
link

And another.
http://english.cctv.com/program/newshour/20091015/103101.shtml

When people put their own lives at risk to save others from harm.  Those are heroes.  The bigger the risk and the better they understand it....but do it anyway, .....the more hero points I award.

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:51:52 PM EDT
[#23]

Subway.  This is a shitty, cheap hero.

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:52:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Captain planet
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:54:23 PM EDT
[#25]

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty. Company 1 was establishing night ambush sites when the command group was attacked by a reinforced North Vietnamese company supported by heavy automatic weapons and mortar fire. 2d Lt. Bobo immediately organized a hasty defense and moved from position to position encouraging the outnumbered marines despite the murderous enemy fire. Recovering a rocket launcher from among the friendly casualties, he organized a new launcher team and directed its fire into the enemy machinegun positions. When an exploding enemy mortar round severed 2d Lt. Bobo's right leg below the knee, he refused to be evacuated and insisted upon being placed in a firing position to cover the movement of the command group to a better location. With a web belt around his leg serving as a tourniquet and with his leg jammed into the dirt to curtain the bleeding, he remained in this position and delivered devastating fire into the ranks of the enemy attempting to overrun the marines. 2d Lt. Bobo was mortally wounded while firing his weapon into the main point of the enemy attack but his valiant spirit inspired his men to heroic efforts, and his tenacious stand enabled the command group to gain a protective position where it repulsed the enemy onslaught. 2d Lt. Bobo's superb leadership, dauntless courage, and bold initiative reflected great credit upon himself and upheld the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and the U.S. Naval Service. He gallantly gave his life for his country.

View Quote
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:55:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Don;t be an hero.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:56:01 PM EDT
[#27]
When people found they could get celebrity status for themselves by associating with heros.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:57:55 PM EDT
[#28]
The concept of so called "sports heroes" has been around for decades.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:59:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:00:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:02:14 PM EDT
[#31]
There aint no live heros.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:04:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
When sports announcers started tagging the term on any professional player that is doing his/her job.  Especially in football.

Athletes are not heroes...well, there were a few that served in our military, and I would also amend my statement to include Jesse Owens during the 1936 Olympics. That was about as heroic as you can get for an athlete. It still doesn't hold a flame to those men and women that put their life on the line to protect our country or our well being.
View Quote

DING DING DING... DING DING
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:04:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ok, fuck you right back.

your dad did what was expected of him. nothing out of the ordinary or customary.

Just because the rest of the pack of worthless fathers is the norm, does not make a good man a hero.

Missed the word "my" in your sentance. if that's how you feel fine, but the word still has meaning to the rest of the world. you could call your Dad superman for all I care, he's your dad, but the word Hero is not something society should recognize for just doing what is expected.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:04:43 PM EDT
[#34]
OP, the internet tells me your premise is flawed.  Here is the comprehensive list of heroes, including the attributes that made them heroes.  Bow.

http://library.thinkquest.org/C001515/heroism/herodb.php

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:05:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:08:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The best example of a real hero I can think of is Audie Murphy jumping up on the burning tank while his men retreated.  He could have retreated as well with no shame but he chose to act in a manner above and beyond what was expected of him and at the risk of great peril.

You don't become a hero by doing the job you signed up to do.  Cops, Firefighters, and Military are often times referred to as heroes because of the jobs they do.  But to be sure, simply signing up for one of these jobs does not make anyone a hero.  By and large, most of those who do these jobs do what is expected of them and fulfill their responsibilities and promises - what they are supposed to do - admirably.  Again, they are not all heroes just because they signed up.  But some of these people have become heroes because - at great risk to themselves, they have taken actions beyond what is/are typically expected of them at their respective jobs.

I have heard countless times, of some quaterback acting heroically because he stood in the pocket and took a shot to buy time to throw the winning touchdown.  Not heroic.  He did his job.

I have heard of Heroic teachers taking extra time to help students.  Not Heroic.  They did their job, albeit a bit more than others, but did not sacrifice life and limb.

The stay at home mom is not a hero.  She did her job...she took care of her kids...she was supposed to do that.

Rock stars, "guitar-'heroes'", and Hollywood stars are not heroes.  Many are the antithesis of a hero.

Politicians are not heroes simply by being politicians.  Rand Paul is not a hero, he is a man with character and principal who does and stands by what he took an oath to do.

But Role Models - good hard working people, people who show character traits that are desirable such as integrity abound.

There are countless brave and courageous people who are role models and are people others should strive to be like.

Sorry Mr. Johnson (The Rock).  You will not find a Hero if you make a reality show out of it.  Anyone who joins a TV show for the purpose of becoming a hero is automatically disqualified.  It doesn't work that way.

True heroes are made in a moment.  Made in that instance in which most men/women would real and opt for self preservation instead of sacrifice.  

There is a fine line and the hero label should only be handed out very sparingly.

View Quote

Technically, Audie Murphy was just doing the job he signed up to do.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:08:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:09:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:10:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:14:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:16:19 PM EDT
[#41]

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:18:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:19:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:19:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:21:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not really.  He could have retreated, in the example given, like his men and no one would have said boo to him.  But, he took it upon himself to go above and beyond what his people were doing and jump up on the burning tank and man the 50.  I call that heroic.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:24:13 PM EDT
[#46]

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:25:07 PM EDT
[#47]

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:26:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Thanks, GoPro
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:26:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Way to go, HE-RO

<drill sergeant  voice>
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:28:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top