BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2002 11:46:45 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 11:55:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 12:04:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree Shadowblade - for years we hear about being and treating others as equal - and that is what I believe. Now that we have come so far in "being equal" is not good enough.

Maybe I am missing the point here.

Tyler
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 12:13:13 PM EDT
[#3]
All this "proves" is that black folks have less tolerance for bullshit speed limits than idiot white folks.  Case in point--all the roads near my home have been lowered by 10mph in the past decade.  Where once you could legally drive 55, you now must drive 45.  The towns have created a speedtrap out of every road, every place you go now.  Every road in town is now 35mph and some are even 20 and 25.  C'mon!  This isn't 1950!  

There would be many fewer speeders if municipalities would just quit trying to fleece people and set the speed limits at the rates at which people actually drive. NJ is particularly bad in this regard--they resisted the national changes that took place in the 90s and their interstate highways remained at 55mph statewide.  Corrupt revenuers target those whom they believe will offer less resistance.  Often, that translates to "poor" and "black".  You can make a study "prove" whatever you want.    

I recommend that we remove all speed limits on all roads everywhere.  There are an unnecessary distraction.  People who have accidents because of recklessness must pay the price for their reckless behavior.  Those who are responsible will never again have to look over their shoulders.

This is a perfect example of a problem (overzealous law enforcement, racial profiling) created by a political solution to a different problem (speeding, war on drugs).  Had we not been so quick to "do something" in the first place, we wouldn't be saddled with all the unintended consequences brought by the solutions.

Link Posted: 3/27/2002 12:13:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Here's a different position -

The speed law is bupkis.  Considering that I have a hard time thinking DOWN to 55-65mph (BTW - I'm white) there should be a way for those of us who are effective high-speed drivers to "go out and play"  Even the major interstates are only 75.

I remember Germany - seems there was a long course that was MANDATORY and a litte costy to get your license.  There was no speed limit on the Ubahn, and penalty for speeding in town was not a ticket but one year SUSPENSION.  Workable.

After all, if you wanted to speed you could just hit the Ubahn for a couple of hours...  That's what we need here - open up 80, 40, 10, and a few others and let up have some fun!  Agencies have gone to great expense to make me a "high-performance driver" and I'd like to still be able to practise...

As far as the race issue, I remember a black man I use dto work for that did about half his Army tour as a DI.  He had trouble with a kid from Kentucky that didn't want to take orders from a "Darky."

Herb's answer - "We're all one color here - GREEN!"  Proper attitude.

Here in America, we are all Red, White, and Blue.  And if you can't accept that, get the Hell out and go back where you came from.

Sorry, I'm just a little cranky right now.

FFZ
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 12:23:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 12:49:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes, sure.
These must be the same morons that concluded that lowering the speed limit reduced exhaust emmisions.

If I was a LEO, I would be steaming mad about that BS. There is an excuse for everything.

New Racial Profiling Law
On September 1, 2001, a new law prohibiting racial profiling went into effect in Texas. Article 3.05 of the Texas Code of Criminal Procedure defines racial profiling as "a law enforcement-initiated action based on an individual's race, ethnicity, or national origin rather than on the individual's behavior or on information identifying the individual as having engaged in criminal activity." The Fort Worth Police Department strictly prohibits officers from engaging in racial profiling.

Complaints alleging racial profiling with respect to an individual may be filed with any supervisor or with the Internal Affairs Division for an investigation of the allegations. The Internal Affairs Division is located on the second floor of the Thomas R. Windham Building, 350 W. Belknap. The Internal Affairs Division telephone number is (817) 877-8051. Complaints may also be made in person or by phone at any of the four Patrol Division facilities. Those facilities are listed on this website.

A complaint should be made in a timely manner after the incident so that the details are readily available to the investigating supervisor and prompt attention can be focused to correct and/or discipline an officer for engaging in racial profiling.

According to state law, the police department's receipt of the complaint, investigation, and beginning of discipline of the officer must be completed within 180 days after the occurrence of the act. For criminal matters, the time frame is 180 days from the discovery of the act.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 3:46:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Herb's answer - "We're all one color here - GREEN!"

Now, all you light green guys are shirts and you dark green guys are skins.  Lets play ball!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top