Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/26/2005 2:50:00 AM EDT
www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,169293,00.html

NEW YORK — A controversial art exhibition in Manhattan has people asking: Can a weapon be art?

"A Knock at the Door" features stamps depicting a gun to President Bush's head, a straightjacket made from an American flag and what appears to be a suitcase bomb ( search). The artists have received mixed reviews from both the art police and the real police — a few have been questioned, detained and even charged with crimes related to their work.

Even those who support the exhibit have questions about some of its displays.

"What is provocative and what is safe and free?" asked Tom Healy, president of the Lower Manhattan Cultural Council ( search). "I don't have the answer to that in these particular works. And it's not a surprise that authorities would be interested in some of these things. They're works that are pretty hard not to find offensive."

And that's the point of the exhibit — not to provide answers but to ask visitors to decide what is offensive and what is art.

For some relatives of Sept. 11, 2001 ( search), victims, one answer is clear.

"From our point of view, and I think from a lot of Americans' point of view, it's a slap in the face," said Michael Burke, who lost his brother in the terrorist attacks four years ago. "It's meant to appeal to those who agree with it and they look at it and they chuckle, and everyone else it's meant to be offensive to."

The LMCC says it sensitive to the issues surrounding Sept. 11. One of its studios overlooks Ground Zero, where the council lost its office — and one of its artists — in the attacks.

But it's hard for many not to get the shivers after looking at the suitcase bomb, especially with the artist, Chris Hackett, facing firearms charges after the discovery of a weapons cache in his studio when police responded to an explosion caused by one of his other projects.

Organizers assure no explosions here — but the exhibit may bomb.

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 3:20:19 AM EDT
[#1]
If you ask me, our member's AR rifles in the picture threads are more artistic than that particular suitcase bomb. Some of the photography is nothing short of amazing. We have some talented folks here!

Art is subjective. I'm not going to be the guy who claims to have a definition nailed down. I will say this guy's stuff is in bad taste, but who really gives a shit? I'm not offended. The stamp thing is cute. I see it for what it is: An stunningly obvious attempt at shocking people and creating controversy. Big deal. People that get REALLY upset at this sort of thing amuse me. I swear, there are people who's sole purpose in life is to seek and point out things that offend them. They are giving the artist exactly what he wanted. They're caught hook line and sinker. In escense, the artist is a real life troll. Don't feed him.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 1:48:09 PM EDT
[#2]
bump (posted too early)
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 1:49:09 PM EDT
[#3]
When its detonated over Hiroshima or Nagasaki.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 1:50:22 PM EDT
[#4]
When is a bomb art?  Well when the guy making it is a professional with PIR sensors and microprocessing stamps and.....   well fuck, just ask the IRA
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 1:54:28 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
When its detonated over Hiroshima or Nagasaki.

Or Iraq?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 1:58:02 PM EDT
[#6]
When it's a 25megatonne pure fusion warhead (aka fallout free) detonated over Mecca.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 3:39:09 PM EDT
[#7]
When an Airman writes names on a bomb, then drops it on "insurgents", I call that "Performance Art".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top