Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2011 10:42:45 AM EDT
Seriously.

I have a friend who lost both legs above-the-knee to an RPG in Iraq. After his rehabilitation he competed in the Para-Olympics and did a cross-country wheelchair ride. His upper body was shredded; lower pecs look like they attach to his upper arm!

Got me thinking: similar to how bicyclists like Lance Armstrong have huge quads from biking (i.e. repetitive motion as opposed to 700lb squats), wouldn't a "wheelchair" workout be a good upper body exercise?

Sure, there's the specter of looking like an ass when you just get up and push it to your car when finished, but seriously guys, this would be a burner! I'm all about being creative for exercise (after working out for 20-some years you have to be).

Not sure how far I could go. Hills would be a freakin' bitch. Hmmm.......

My buddy is on a cruise right now. When he gets back I may ask him for some training tips.

Thoughts would be:

1) Obviously there would be a cardio benefit from it but I don't think I'd try to make it replace one of my cardio workouts though.

2) I guess the best strength-related regimen would be to in fact go uphill.

3) Wonder how far/how long you'd have to do it on a regular basis to see the benefits?

There's one of those "Rails to Trails" things not far from here. Maybe that would be a good place to start.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top