Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2004 8:50:16 PM EDT
Tommorow I'm going to look at an '88 Lincoln Town car with 95K miles on it and I'm wondering what I should keep an eye out for on these types of cars and if anyone has had any experience owning them.  If they are a POS please tell me.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:55:30 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Tommorow I'm going to look at an '88 Lincoln Town car with 95K miles on it and I'm wondering what I should keep an eye out for on these types of cars and if anyone has had any experience owning them.  If they are a POS please tell me.

Don't expect much, the car is 17 years old. I love lincolns, I like big cars period.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:59:17 PM EDT
[#2]
The 80's weren't the peak of American automotive enginering.  Be that as it may I would just take it to a mechanic for a run through before purchasing.  Make sure and have them check the transmissions for little bits.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:59:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:00:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Are you going to be a pimp?
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:01:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quick, someone hide this thread before ETH sees it...
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:01:39 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't expect much, the car is 17 years old. I love lincolns, I like big cars period.

I love big cars too, my current car is an '89 Cadillac Fleetwood and its bigger then most full size trucks, unfortunantly it was just problem after problem to keep it on the road.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:05:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Lincon Town Cars=Class

I dont want one, but they are respectable.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:06:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Friends don't let friends drive Fords.

Yea yea yea, usually I stick with GM cars, but my caddys been nothing but trouble (its the best car ever when its actually running though) so I figure Lincolns the only other big luxury American car to try out.

Clean cut, don't be a hater
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:07:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Are these the ones with the air-bag suspension that goes flat?
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:08:18 PM EDT
[#10]
I say only buy it IF you can get the gold spinners for it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:12:02 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Friends don't let friends drive Fords.

Yea yea yea, usually I stick with GM cars, but my caddys been nothing but trouble (its the best car ever when its actually running though) so I figure Lincolns the only other big luxury American car to try out.

Clean cut, don't be a hater

Lincolns are cool. Got to have the tude for it though.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:12:22 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Lincon Town Cars=Class

I dont want one, but they are respectable.

Lincolns tend to be geezer cars, along with Crown Vics (at least in my exp).  The true pimp-mobiles are Cadillacs.  And that's coming from someone who drives an old beater Fleetwood.  I should do some body/interior work & throw on a cheap paint job & sell her downtown for way more than I've got invested  
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:18:11 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Well since most people automatically assume I'm a criminal from looking at me, it should suite me well.

RiffRandall, caddys look better, but after droping around a 1K into mine for repairs in the past 4 months and having it break down again (possible seized engine), I have to junk it (wish there was a place to store it instead though so I could drop a 350 in it later, it will be missed )
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:23:05 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't care for the 1980's American cars. It was a time when the auto-industry was cutting costs and quality.

MT
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:29:49 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

yep. if the airbags work they ride awesome. if not they ride like crap. also make sure the power windows operate properly. i seem to remember that the motors for the front triangular windows are outrageously expensive. i've always thought it was cool how those triangular windows roll down first when you press the window button.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:35:02 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

RiffRandall, caddys look better, but after droping around a 1K into mine for repairs in the past 4 months and having it break down again (possible seized engine), I have to junk it (wish there was a place to store it instead though so I could drop a 350 in it later, it will be missed )

Which engine?  The '81 Fleetwood 2dr I'm currently flogging (daily driver work beater, rear seats removed for more cargo space, tool box & such in trunk) has the Buick 252 V6.  Great mileage for such a boat but the "get up & go" is lacking.  The only work I've had to do on it in the ~7yrs we've had it is a water pump & radiator (excluding fluid/filter changes).  It's in need of some serious TLC body wise though.  But for a free car it's ok.  Dad won a mid range computer (sales contest/bonus at his work)...didn't need the PC but a friend of his who had the car did.  If the body gives out I'll probably transfer the engine into my S-10 but at the rate she's holding out it might be a while.    
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 10:12:11 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Which engine?  The '81 Fleetwood 2dr I'm currently flogging (daily driver work beater, rear seats removed for more cargo space, tool box & such in trunk) has the Buick 252 V6.  

My Fleetwood has a Oldsmobile V8 305 enginge, in the past few months it tore threw some belts (changes belts on that engine is NOT fun), needed a new alternator, new water pump and more.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 10:14:52 PM EDT
[#18]
They are ok cars but being 17 years old expect it to have some issues as well. On the bright side the drivetrains are more user servicable than the current ones and cheaper to fix. The new lincolns, as would be expected are leaps and bounds better. My Vic has the air bags and although  I have not had any problems, I bought a spare set on EBAY for $15! They are $300 EACH retail from the stealership.

If you ever have a car with them remember to switch them OFF if you ever put it on a lift. If you dont, your rolling the dice on not having them work next time forever and haveing a lowrider car in the rear end.

S.O.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 10:18:20 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well since most people automatically assume I'm a criminal from looking at me, it should suite me well.

RiffRandall, caddys look better, but after droping around a 1K into mine for repairs in the past 4 months and having it break down again (possible seized engine), I have to junk it (wish there was a place to store it instead though so I could drop a 350 in it later, it will be missed hr

Got that crappy ass 4100 engine in the thing ?

**  Ignore me... just saw 305 olds in post above  **
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 10:39:44 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

It's just a fancy FORD

Like all things FORD, the GM equivalent (Caddilac or Buick) is better...
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 11:10:00 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

That's the Continental.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 11:10:52 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yep. if the airbags work they ride awesome. if not they ride like crap. also make sure the power windows operate properly. i seem to remember that the motors for the front triangular windows are outrageously expensive. i've always thought it was cool how those triangular windows roll down first when you press the window button.

Again, that is the Continental.

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 11:13:00 PM EDT
[#23]
I'll take a Town Car any day over a Cataract (GM=Guaranteed Malfunction).  It looks classier, even the older ones.  It has more of a limo look than the Cataracts.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 11:22:19 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I'll take a Town Car any day over a Cataract (GM=Guaranteed Malfunction).  It looks classier, even the older ones.  It has more of a limo look than the Cataracts.

The limo look is what turns me off to Lincolns.  If you see someone driving a Fleetwood, you think they have a nice car, but if you see a man driving a Town Car, you wonder if its a taxi cab.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 11:32:18 PM EDT
[#25]
"Hot Rod Lincoln"
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 11:35:45 PM EDT
[#26]
I like the early 90s LSC's. Two door, kinda sporty looking.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 12:07:31 AM EDT
[#27]
I was recently looking at a 97 with 99k,  Leather, moonroof, blah blah blah.   Checked out ok at a shop.  $3900.

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 12:08:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Bah, to hell with that.  Get yourself a Benz.  1983 380 SEL.  That's right, S-Class.  $4k out the door, with 195k miles.  Good for another 300k.

I have got some wheels and fender trim in mind later on.  Those stockers will be my winter beater rims.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 12:10:41 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Bah, to hell with that.  Get yourself a Benz.  1983 380 SEL.  That's right, S-Class.  $4k out the door, with 195k miles.  Good for another 300k.

mercedesshop.com/shopforum/attachment.php3?attachmentid=20853

I have got some wheels and fender trim in mind later on.  Those stockers will be my winter beater rims.

Maintence would cost more than the car. MB really nails you on the back end parts and service.

S.O.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 12:14:51 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Maintence would cost more than the car. MB really nails you on the back end parts and service.

S.O.

Normally, I would say yes.  But online parts and a damn good Independent mechanic (with the cheapest labor of any mechanic in town) with decent parts prices tend to make it better, for me at least.  

I only make $8k a year, and it hasnt been too bad yet.  I just put $1100 worth of repairs into it that will go for another 150k miles (timing chain, tensioner, guides, valve seals, and 2 cam sprockets, along with spark plugs).   Thank God for credit cards.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 12:17:50 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

S.O.

Normally, I would say yes.  But online parts and a damn good Independent mechanic (with the cheapest labor of any mechanic in town) with decent parts prices tend to make it better, for me at least.  

I only make $8k a year, and it hasnt been too bad yet.  I just put $1100 worth of repairs into it that will go for another 150k miles (timing chain, tensioner, guides, valve seals, and 2 cam sprockets, along with spark plugs).   Thank God for credit cards.

you only make $8k a year? You work at Micky Ds?

S.O.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 12:20:44 AM EDT
[#32]
A university computer lab.  And yes, I live with my dad.  I actually moved back to my dad's so I could pay for the car, as well as to get away from some drama at the frat house (that had cheap rent).  Drama=long story.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:20:01 AM EDT
[#33]
I'd also look for a mid-90s version.  They are cheap.  My next sedan will probably be a 1998 or newer Crown Vic, Grand Marquis, or Lincoln.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:24:53 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Again, that is the Continental.

Wrong. The Town Car has air bag suspension after about 1990. My 92 had it and it cost approx$500 to change them when they let go. I found out later how easy it is to change them yourself and save $300. The Town Car rides great and has plenty of power too. If it is in good shape and priced decent give it serious consideration. Gas mileage was decent too. About 24 on the highway with a full trunk and passengers.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:39:18 AM EDT
[#35]
Well, one thing baout these rigs is that they mostly owned by old people.

They take pretty good care of their cars.

My Grandmothers car was like 20 years old when it got sold and only had 30,000 miles on it.

Hell, i'm the king of used cars. I buy cars with 100,000 miles on em all the time.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:48:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:50:47 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:03:39 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:20:36 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:25:25 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Did you sparay paint those windows black? In Ohio, you would be harassed so much for driving a car tinted that dark, you'd probably just smash the windows out, out of frustration.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:56:24 AM EDT
[#41]
Just got back from the test drive, this might be my new car.  It turns out the seller is a local LEO I know (test driving with a cop in the passenger seat is fun) who takes good care of the car and has paperwork for all the work done on it.  The car is smooth riding and almost as luxurious as a caddy.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:58:06 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Did you sparay paint those windows black? In Ohio, you would be harassed so much for driving a car tinted that dark, you'd probably just smash the windows out, out of frustration.

Technically, that is a photoshop of what I want my car to look like.  In reality, it has no tint job.

And as far as dark goes, look at the Lincoln above you.  At least you can see the seats in mine.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:01:54 AM EDT
[#43]
I have a 99 Lincoln Continental with 134,000 miles on it. I bought it in 2001 with 29,000 miles on it. The car has not had a single mechanical problem, it runs like a charm, and is the most comfortable car I have ever driven in. The ride is like driving on a cloud.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top