Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/18/2005 8:29:42 AM EDT
Noticed lots of people changing their avitars to pink ribbons. What's up with that?
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:32:26 AM EDT
[#1]
ribbon avatars kill cancer somehow
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:35:05 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Noticed lots of people changing their avitars to pink ribbons. What's up with that?

I was wondering the same thing. But noticed a reference to Patty on some.

Originally Posted By TheRedHorseman
:ribbon avatars kill cancer somehow

Are you saying Patty has cancer?
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:35:48 AM EDT
[#3]
yes she does, along with another members wife.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:37:06 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Wow, that's intelligent.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:37:42 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Actually it means that person is ghey and is available for dates.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:38:28 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't know
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:42:08 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So, whatt are ya doing Saturday ardoc?. Just to let you know upfront, I get to be the pusher
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:50:15 AM EDT
[#8]
There's a long and complete explination in the Team Forum.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:53:38 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

damn, I guess you gotta read the fine print these days!  Oh well, I guess I'll have to take one for the team!
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:02:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Pink Alphas - they are a gay club....
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:10:55 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

What pink ribbons?
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:12:05 AM EDT
[#12]
We've all joined Pink Pistols.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 11:42:32 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

It means absolutely nothing.  No explanation was ever posted here.  Some member decided to post about in the Team Forum and specifically exclude non-members.  Just ignore it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 11:52:13 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It means absolutely nothing.  No explanation was ever posted here.  Some member decided to post about in the Team Forum and specifically exclude non-members.  Just ignore it.

Oh for the love o' Christ!

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 11:54:45 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

No, more like us showing support for someone who can use it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 11:54:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 11:55:17 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
We've all joined Pink Pistols.

Yup - we were all convinced that sexual orientation really is just a choice, not something hard-wired into you, and thought we'd all try it for a week or two (just to be openminded).

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 11:58:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 11:58:44 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds like it would be a good idea for you to follow your own advice. If you got your feelings hurt,oh well.Scrape up the money and become a team member,duh!
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 11:59:09 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Some member decided to post about in the Team Forum and specifically exclude non-members.

Only team members have avatars, so the Team Forum seems like a logical place to post about avatars.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 12:03:07 PM EDT
[#21]
more than once before this queston has been asked in GD over the last day or so..

Oh wait, you can't search unless you're team..
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 12:03:30 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pony up some cash for a membership, whiny-boy.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 12:14:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Think Pink For Patty.  

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 12:14:55 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Then we should ingnore you as well when you get cancer?

Ignorance can be ugly sometimes.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 12:16:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Oh yeah......here's one for you.  

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 12:17:23 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would expect as much, everyone running around all happy and cheery waving ribbons wouldnt help the fact that my body was getting destroyed by corrupted cells.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 12:20:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Maybe not but morale support can be a good thing even if it's not a cure.

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 12:25:08 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would expect as much, everyone running around all happy and cheery waving ribbons wouldnt help the fact that my body was getting destroyed by corrupted cells.

Oh yeah,I'm sure all of us that have the pink ribbon are happy and cheerful that Patty has cancer . And so if YOU get cancer there would be no reason to think positive about it right? Yeah,just give up and die right? No wonder America is in the toilet with people like you around.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 12:27:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Praying for you, Patty!

HH
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 12:29:30 PM EDT
[#30]
I never said that you were happy that someone had cancer.  I merely think that it is a pretty pointless thing, much like those who have "support our troops" ribbons all over their cars because it is a fad and not because they actually give two shits about them.  same goes for breast cancer "awareness", we all know it is there, we all know it kills people(yes men too), and waving a bunch of pretty ribbons around isnt going to do jack or shit about it, now putting some effort into supporting those who treat and develop treatments for cancer would be a worthy cause.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 1:48:33 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I never said that you were happy that someone had cancer. I merely think that is a pretty pointless thing, much like those who have "support our troops" ribbons all over their cars because it is a fad and not because they actually give two shits about them.  same goes for breast cancer "awareness", we all know it is there, we all know it kills people(yes men too), and waving a bunch of pretty ribbons around isnt going to do jack or shit about it, now putting some effort into supporting those who treat and develop treatments for cancer would be a worthy cause.

For you maybe it is a fad and maybe it means nothing but I for one want our returning troops to see my yellow ribbon as a sign that someone supports them and what they are doing. And hell yeah I want Patty, every time she logs on to see a "bunch of pretty ribbons" and know that it means her friends here on ARFCOM support her.
I have seen others rally behind members when they were going through hard times (without all the bullshit being spouted by some) and some times it helps just knowing someone cares.
I guess it's just a way of letting Patty know that she's in my prayers.

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 1:50:47 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I never said that you were happy that someone had cancer.  I merely think that it is a pretty pointless thing, much like those who have "support our troops" ribbons all over their cars because it is a fad and not because they actually give two shits about them.  same goes for breast cancer "awareness", we all know it is there, we all know it kills people(yes men too), and waving a bunch of pretty ribbons around isnt going to do jack or shit about it, now putting some effort into supporting those who treat and develop treatments for cancer would be a worthy cause.

Well I have three ribbons. One for my ma, one for pops and one for any one on here who has breast cancer. I care quite a bit about people even strangers. Even you redhorseman.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:54:54 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I understand your point.

But, whether it is pointless to you or me is not the point.  Since mindset and attitude CAN be a big part of fighting (and recovering from) cancer, if the support makes PATTY feel better, or gives her a better attitude, or just cheers her up - then it is worth it.  That's the point.

... and btw, I also give money to cancer research - and I bet many here do.  If anything, the prevalence of all the pink ribbons might encourage others on arfcom to give to cancer research, and in that way it also might make a tiny difference.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:07:50 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

The only ignorance here is being displayed by my detractors who failed to understand my words, and instead want to read into them meanings culled from their own imaginations and agendas.

When someone intentially posts something to the Team Forum, they do it to specifically exclude non-Team Members.  And that's their perogative.  But when that information trickles out to the General Forum, don't expect me to give a shit because I was never meant to see it in the first place.

Quoted:
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=75&t=418520

2 B 1 Ask 1

SBG

The height of stupidity is giving non-Team Members a link to the Team forum.  Not to mention arrogance.

Quoted:

Why not?  You did the last time.  In 1998 I was diagnosed with cancer - a malignant tumor in my head, which, unlike a breast, is not something you can cut off and go on about your life without.  Unfortunately for all those ARFcomers who wish JavaMan would suffer a gruesome, painful death, I beat it with absolutely no lasting problems, offering proof positive that there really is no God.  

Instead, I chose to battle the Tumor that God Produced with science - specifically a stream of high energy protons generated by a particle accelerator at Loma Linda University, and it worked like a champ, returning me back to my normal, charming self in a matter of just a few weeks with no lasting ill effects.

So there you go - the guy you're berating has been through it already, so who's the whiner now?
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:14:03 PM EDT
[#35]
I am doing it as a way to let Patty know that we care about her and to keep her spirits up.  Being able to fight a disease not only involves the body, but the mind as well.  Patients that are happy and upbeat will recover more than someone with a negative attitude.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:44:36 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The only ignorance here is being displayed by my detractors who failed to understand my words, and instead want to read into them meanings culled from their own imaginations and agendas.

When someone intentially posts something to the Team Forum, they do it to specifically exclude non-Team Members.  And that's their perogative.  But when that information trickles out to the General Forum, don't expect me to give a shit because I was never meant to see it in the first place.

Actually, no.  It is YOUR assumptions that are incorrect, and yes, YOU are the one being whiny.

Despite your imagination to the contrary, there was no deliberate attempt to exclude or hide anything from non-team members, and there WAS a thread in General Discussion explaining it.  

But since the entire point was to change avatars, which only Team Members use - do you not think it made more sense to post it in the Team Forum, where threads don't drop off the first page in a matter of minutes.   Despite your imagination that it was done in order to exlcude YOU, it was in fact done to ensure that as many team members as possible would see it.  

Sorry your feelings were hurt , but this had nothing to do with trying to "specifically exclude non-members" - but you are correct that non-team members can just ignore it, since they obviously cannot change their avatars.

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:46:59 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, no.  It is YOUR assumptions that are incorrect, and yes, YOU are the one being whiny.

Despite your imagination to the contrary, there was no deliberate attempt to exclude or hide anything from non-team members, and there WAS a thread in General Discussion explaining it.  

But since the entire point was to change avatars, which only Team Members use - do you not think it made more sense to post it in the Team Forum, where threads don't drop off the first page in a matter of minutes.   Despite your imagination that it was done in order to exlcude YOU, it was in fact done to ensure that as many team members as possible would see it.  

Sorry your feelings were hurt , but this had nothing to do with trying to "specifically exclude non-members" - but you are correct that non-team members can just ignore it, since they obviously cannot change their avatars.

Great post DK.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:50:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:02:25 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

But, whether it is pointless to you or me is not the point.  Since mindset and attitude CAN be a big part of fighting (and recovering from) cancer, if the support makes PATTY feel better, or gives her a better attitude, or just cheers her up - then it is worth it.  That's the point.

... and btw, I also give money to cancer research - and I bet many here do.  If anything, the prevalence of all the pink ribbons might encourage others on arfcom to give to cancer research, and in that way it also might make a tiny difference.

And some of us have experienced it in our wives, too. I did. Not something either of us want to live through again. Nor would I wish anybody to go through it without support- from any quarter, even here.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:02:52 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's all about solidarity and moral support for one of our own.

As for the "exclusion" BS, a non-member doesn't have an avatar.....so you exclude yourself.

No Expert
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:05:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Are you saying Patty has cancer?

yes she does, along with another members wife.

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:06:53 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe it was mentioned in the team forum because those are thos folks who can actually change ther avatars? Its kind of a moot point if you cant change or dont haev an avatar.

ETA
I will try to put one on  Rusty Shakelford.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:26:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:

It means absolutely nothing. No explanation was ever posted here. Some member decided to post about in the Team Forum and specifically exclude non-members. Just ignore it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted By TheRedHorseman

Quoted:
I never said that you were happy that someone had cancer. I merely think that is a pretty pointless thing, much like those who have "support our troops" ribbons all over their cars because it is a fad and not because they actually give two shits about them. same goes for breast cancer "awareness", we all know it is there, we all know it kills people(yes men too), and waving a bunch of pretty ribbons around isnt going to do jack or shit about it, now putting some effort into supporting those who treat and develop treatments for cancer would be a worthy cause.

For some of us it’s personal, I have never met Patty or even talked to her but I can understand
What she is going through, So far my wife has lost her Aunt, Uncle to cancer, her mother
Probably won't make it to Easter from cancer, her grandmother is on her death bed right
Now in LaPort Indiana from cancer. She has even lost a sixteen year old cousin to cancer,
You know by the odds my wife will have cancer, so don't put down or say it’s just a fool
Time to post a pink ribbon, if you don't understand the meaning of it or the true reaction
Of moral support to a cancer victim you will never really understand or have compassion
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:28:33 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Since you cant search, there WAS some threads here in GD about it.

Edit to add the threads that you said wer NOT here and only in the Team Forum.

Heres one

And another

Oh look, another one

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:28:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Well Patty, I'm not a team member so I can't display a pink ribbon. I do however remember reading some of your posts and thinking you are a really great person. I wish you the best. I will remember you in my prayers. That should be of more value than any picture displayed on a website. I have all the faith in the world that you will have a successful outcome and that you will be back to normal before you know it. Remain strong for your family and I'm sure they will remain strong for you.

My best to you and your family. I hope you have a Merry Christmas and are able put this out of mind and enjoy the season with your brood.

With all respect

Morning Wood/Nathan
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:10:18 AM EDT
[#46]
Hmmmm  People doing something as a gesture of thoughts and well wishes for an important member of the team and then a thread gets shit in....  Nice...  Real Fucking Nice

IBTL
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:21:15 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=75&t=418520

2 B 1 Ask 1

SBG

The height of stupidity is giving non-Team Members a link to the Team forum.  Not to mention arrogance.

Quoted:

Why not?  You did the last time.  In 1998 I was diagnosed with cancer - a malignant tumor in my head, which, unlike a breast, is not something you can cut off and go on about your life without.  Unfortunately for all those ARFcomers who wish JavaMan would suffer a gruesome, painful death, I beat it with absolutely no lasting problems, offering proof positive that there really is no God.  

Instead, I chose to battle the Tumor that God Produced with science - specifically a stream of high energy protons generated by a particle accelerator at Loma Linda University, and it worked like a champ, returning me back to my normal, charming self in a matter of just a few weeks with no lasting ill effects.

So there you go - the guy you're berating has been through it already, so who's the whiner now?

WOW just WOW... You are certainly a god among men!
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:23:22 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Maybe because threads in Team don't get shit on like they do in GD.  

Quoted:

Some of us donate a fair amount of money to research as well.  I lost my mom to breast cancer, I'm certainly not  "running around all happy and cheery waving ribbons" about Patty's diagnosis.  I can offer prayer, money, and support.  I have given all 3.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:44:04 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you really think I am all happy and cheery while waving my pink ribbon sir, you are sadly mistaken. I have given donations every year for the past 15 years for Breast Cancer research. My Grandmother died from BC. Thank God the donations I have made thru the years have helped with the research, diagnosis and cures of some forms of BC so hopefully Patty will not suffer the same fate as my Grandmother.

Nobody here knows except Patty that I too had a "scare" on my mammogram last mth. Patty was there for me as a shoulder to cry on, giving me uplifting support from someone who has been thru it before. Now I am showing my support to Patty thru a pink ribbon. I know and Patty knows my pink ribbon is not going to cure her. It does however let her know that she is thought about and prayed for daily by me. If sporting a pink ribbon gets awareness out there for more folks to donate, then my support for Patty and my support for the cure is being achieved.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top