POLITICS
POLI TICS

I didn't pass my latin class.
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 6:53:31 PM EDT
[#1]
liars and thiefs in the act
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 6:59:37 PM EDT
[#2]
The word "politics" has its root in Greek, not Latin.  From the Greek word "polis" for city, the central most important governing body for them, the city-state.
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 7:03:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I like the latin version....more true to form

I'm bored and just having fun tonight
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 7:06:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Raven's right.  POLIS comes from both classical and koine Greek.  It's root literally means "city", however it has come to mean "to be concerned with the affairs of the city."

BALLEIS KORAKES...

PEOS IN PROCTOS...

my friends.

Oh yeah, the Spartan's motto was "Never leave your buddy's behind."[sex]
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 7:37:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Poly means many, and tics are blood suckers. I remember a story my Papaw told me years ago. It goes like this. "When your neighbor has a good bull and you want to introduce its characteristics into your herd, you work out a deal for your neighbors bull to come "serve" your cows. Just remember this when a politician says he's here to serve you."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top