Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/9/2006 10:27:15 PM EDT
Gun store sales guy yesterday morning told me of a tungston steel heavy shot load called a ''coyote round'' or something like that that can wallup a coydog out to 100yds.

He also told me they were in such high demand that only the larger gun stores were getting them at the present.

I could think of several applications for such a round.

Any of you guys got any info on these shotgun shells and what they will do???

thanks, Lee

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:29:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I think the gun store coyote commando was jerking your leash
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:32:13 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I think the gun store coyote commando was jerking your leash

Don't think so.

Have known this guy for years

If he said it it is around

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:33:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I can't imagine any steel shot that would be lethal at 100 yards. It's difficult to achieve and maintain high (lead like) velocities with steel shot. Steel just doesn't have the denisty of lead.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:37:31 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I can't imagine any steel shot that would be lethal at 100 yards. It's difficult to achieve and maintain high (lead like) velocities with steel shot. Steel just doesn't have the denisty of lead.

Tungston steel mix with fast burning propellant like what is used in a winchester gold partition discarding sabot is what the man said.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:38:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I've heard of it...............
It's called a slug
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:39:23 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I've heard of it...............
It's called a slug

And they make a REALLY BIG HOLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:43:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tungston steel mix with fast burning propellant like what is used in a winchester gold partition discarding sabot is what the man said.

Thats all well and good for waterfowl hunting but there is no way to get a shotgun to hold a pattern tight enough at 100 yards. Even if you could maintain lethal velocites at that range.

What I'm saying is, I've never heard of a 100 yard "Coyote load" for a shotgun. If there was one, they certainly wouldn't make it out of steel. Steel shot sucks ass comapred to lead.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:44:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Could it be a flechette round ?  I've only read about them in history books.  They are supposedly effective past 100 yards.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:50:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, if you can hit a coyote with a slug that would probably work.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:50:59 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Could it be a flechette round ?  I've only read about them in history books.  They are supposedly effective past 100 yards.

No ruger, I'm pretty sure it's not steel darts.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:55:32 PM EDT
[#11]
There is a non-toxic shot for waterfowling called Hevi-Shot, which is far better than steel, but wouldn't make a 100 yard shot for anything. (It's about the weight of lead shot).

No shot, and no pattern, is going to be consistant and deadly at 100 yards.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:59:28 PM EDT
[#12]
I searched and found Hevi shot "Dead Coyote". But it's a 3 1/2 inch Goose load.

This is from "Hevi Shot's" web sight.

12 GAUGE | 3.5 inch | 3 inch
HEVI·SHOT® Dead Coyote! T’s wallup more energy than any other shell on the market. With a 1350 fps muzzle velocity translates into 11 foot-pound of energy at 100 yards. Plus the .20-inch round pellets pattern remarkably tight for a very memorable hunt

"In my 45 years of hunting I have never used a more kick ass shell than this.I read all the hype about this product and figured,"yeah right" 50,60 yards sure.Then I tried it.With the right choke it turned my three inch model 1300 winchester into a killing machine.Unreal what I have done with this combo.Thankyou so much.I have a large circle of hunting friends and they know my word is good.I will be sending you some buissness and you rightfully deserve it with this product.Enclosed is a pic of a coyote I took at 64 yards.Coyotes of this size are not easy to put down with a shotgun at 30 yards with regular shot but with heavy shot I dropped em with one round at 64 yards."Just amazing".Keep up the good work and again,Thankyou,

Mike Drosnock,
Nazareth,PA.. "

"Your company turned our shotguns from 40 to 50 yard guns to true 100 yard plus guns! "Dead Coyote!" as the picture shows is exactly what it is! I bought a half case of 3" and also 3 1/2" to start with. To tell the truth some of the guys thought I was nuts to spend that much for some shotgun shells! Wee, after a week of coyote hunting and one guy (I won't me mention any names) killed a coyote a day (three days that week) with multiple coyotes, at ranges that before were always considered "luck shots". Well, as I stated to those skeptics, how many times do I have to shoot the coyotes at 90, 100, or 100 plus yards with this new shell before it is no longer considered luck? It didn't take long before we went back and bought the other half cases that were at our sporting goods store.

Chuck Gaietto
Tiffin, ohio"

90 to 100 yards? B.S.!

As stated above. Hevi shot is not steel.

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 11:05:10 PM EDT
[#13]
The reson I am trying to get info on this is I have a potentally serious problem with these''coy dogs''.

I have seen and heard them for some time and only now after seeing them up close realize what they are and confirmed this from a post I made yesterday.
on this site.

I can't use a rifle because the shooting will most likley be on a working dairy with a fair amount of brush and rocky terrain, just the right conditions for ricochettes.

Don't want to burn up  bounty money on replaceing livestock!!!

See where I'm going with this deal.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 11:17:32 PM EDT
[#14]
I hunt with shotguns, I use tung/bismuth loads and I call bs on hitting it at 100yds, a slug yes, I have done but not with shot even with a really tight choke
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 11:32:27 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I hunt with shotguns, I use tung/bismuth loads and I call bs on hitting it at 100yds, a slug yes, I have done but not with shot even with a really tight choke

Well that may be true but one of the testamonials said sixty-five and a one shot kill.

That there would probably get me several kills at different times at night using calls and chuming the area.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:50:42 AM EDT
[#16]
What gun shop is telling you this?

Are you sure he isnt talking about Choke Brand 00Buckshot?  Its the one were all the 00buck pellets are bonded together.  They are accurate to 100 yards, and when they impact the target, they come apart.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:58:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Sixty five yards is realistic with Dead Coyote Hevi Shot if you've got a barrel choke combo that'll hold it together.  

100 yards?  11 ft. lbs. per pellet retained energy?  Not a chance....

I like the Hevi Shot #2s for coyotes.  It works well, if not better than the .20" T shot in the dead coyote load.  

Your mileage may vary.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:48:06 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
What gun shop is telling you this?

Are you sure he isnt talking about Choke Brand 00Buckshot?  Its the one were all the 00buck pellets are bonded together.  They are accurate to 100 yards, and when they impact the target, they come apart.

Thanks safe,I'll check it out brother!!!
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:51:49 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Sixty five yards is realistic with Dead Coyote Hevi Shot if you've got a barrel choke combo that'll hold it together.  

100 yards?  11 ft. lbs. per pellet retained energy?  Not a chance....

I like the Hevi Shot #2s for coyotes.  It works well, if not better than the .20" T shot in the dead coyote load.  

Your mileage may vary.

Appreciate it big seven!!!

I''ll researce both of them bad boys.

Thanks ''nightowl''.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:55:02 AM EDT
[#20]
is this for people that don't own a rifle?

Sure, it MIGHT work at 100 yds but ANY centerfire WILL work at 100 yds.

(I understand that you can't hunt with rifles in some states like IN)
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:05:55 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
The reson I am trying to get info on this is I have a potentally serious problem with these''coy dogs''.  

Just so you know, "coy dogs" are a mixed breed from coyotes and stray/feral dogs, not another name for coyotes.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:07:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Its called a Slug

ETA-oops someone already mentioned it so

+1
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:50:44 PM EDT
[#23]
that would be hevishot..

it rockssssssssssssssssssssssss.
heavier than lead..hits like a ton of bricks. you will not find a more lethal load of shot out of a shotgun load.

developed for vietnam.

the coyote load is T shot i believe.
and out of a custom (briley or similiar) full choke..it is a legitimate 100yard dog taker.
custom chokes make patterns that routine chokes dream about. we are talking 40 inch kill pattern or less. extra full chokes will bring even better patterns in some loads.

people are killing geese (GEESE)..at 80 yards out #4 and #6. i witnessed a speck being killed with #4 shot at 68 yards..verified by a lazer rangefinder. stone cold dead...in the air.

believe the hype.
waterfowlers ( like myself) have been using the stuff for a number of years now.

i personally like #6....on damn near anything that flies.

i do have some 00 ...for emergencies..
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:07:04 PM EDT
[#24]
"Dead Coyote" from hevi shot will work quite effectively out to around ~65 yards with a properly choked shotgun.  Patternmaster seems to be the choke of choice for the round.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:18:15 PM EDT
[#25]
shooting coyotes at 100 yards....its called an AR15!
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:31:57 PM EDT
[#26]
I hit a yota with a sabot slug out of my rem 1100 slug gun at like 10 yards.  Fuck its world right up!
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:07:25 PM EDT
[#27]
I read an article about a year ago about the Sabot slugs using a Barnes X bullet (.45 cal.) and with a 12 ga. , rifled barrel and a low power scope mounted they were getting 3" groups at 200 yards.

Not stellar performance, but GREAT for a shotgun with slugs
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:10:08 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
shooting coyotes at 100 yards....its called an AR15!

+1
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:23:43 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I read an article about a year ago about the Sabot slugs using a Barnes X bullet (.45 cal.) and with a 12 ga. , rifled barrel and a low power scope mounted they were getting 3" groups at 200 yards.

Not stellar performance, but GREAT for a shotgun with slugs

I wonder what the velocity was at 200 yds?

They were probably dropping 'em in there like artilery.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:35:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Use your AR and some varmint or frangible bullets.  Know your gun.   Take only shots "YOU" can make.   Practice your ranging.  Don't deviate and you will be fine.  Shotgun is ok for 35-40 yrds max.  Slugs have too much mass and keep on trucking.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top