Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2005 8:21:38 PM EDT
Noo!!!  Please tell me that this is a load of crap or another liberal bs thing that will never make it out of committee.  Is this a federal thing or what?  Any info would be appreciated.  I have been putting the body armor thing off for a while because I can't afford it right now.  Please tell me this is crap!
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:23:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:25:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Did I say something stupid?  Please tell me that I did!

Edit for punctuation
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:28:04 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Did I say something stupid?  Please tell me that I did!

Edit for punctuation

I didn't want to use a lame 'tag' for the thread so I put the above instead.

My understanding is that felons can't wear body armor and I've read of legislation over the years but I haven't heard of anything in the Federal pipeline.  So, 'tag' for others' answers.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:28:29 PM EDT
[#4]
It's already illegal to own body armor in Kali....                          If you're a felon.
I heard about the Federal Ban on BA that is pending.....
from the guy whos sells BA.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:29:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Which body armor is illegal and which isn't? It's probably all outlawed in NY anyway.

I'm not sure of the legallity of certain levels of armor or what the laws are pertaining to them. It's tough enough to keep up on the insane laws on firearms in NY as is without thinking of armor.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:30:02 PM EDT
[#6]
What if you already own body armor?

I wonder if this is for real or what.  This is really going to piss me off.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:32:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I know a few states you cannnot own it if you are a felon
also a couple have it as a tack on charge  if used in a crime (use of BA in commision of a felony) or something to that effect
have not heard of anything nationally
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:36:30 PM EDT
[#8]
What in the hell, Yea if you ban it the bad guys arnt going to get it.  Yea right!

BS!
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:40:42 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
... I heard about the Federal Ban on BA that is pending.....
from the guy whos sells BA.

+1

A BA vendor here has been showing up at gun shows for the past ten years or so with a sign over his merchandise warning that a BA ban is imminent.  

AFAIK, it’s not outlawed anywhere.  Some states do have laws against using BA during the commission of a crime.

I can’t imagine it being outlawed by the current Congress / Administration.

OTOH, if Hillary gets elected in 2008, all bets are off!  
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:42:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Good.  I am hoping that this is just hoopla.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 10:27:47 PM EDT
[#11]
One of the liberals arguments against concealed carry was "if people carry guns they will not be afraid to go certain places anymore."

liberals love for the population to live in fear.  Research "the terror", a program liberals had in the former soviet union.

Idea is, if you are constantly in fear, that you will give up increasing amounts of your freedom and liberals will get increasing amounts of power.  That's what is happining in england and mexico lately.  Hurt the feelings of a burgler, rapist, or person beating you...and you go to prison.

If you have body armor you will be less afraid, and that is the opposite of what liberals want.  Simple as that.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 10:31:22 PM EDT
[#12]
I guess I'll be laying aside funds for yet another fear purchase. sigh.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 10:38:12 PM EDT
[#13]
I buy a new vest every year and write it off....so I got a few laying around.  Occasionally there will be a mix-up and I get one that's just the right size for my wife.  Imagine that.

What really hacks me off is that a majority of the L.E. supply places will not sell you unless you have credentials to present or agency letter head.

Alot of the private ambulance service guys out here get jammed up on that and screwed out of the ability to buy vests.  They roll in to the dirtiest neighborhoods we do and they can't shoot back.

Lastly, I too have seen the armor guys at gunshows, prophesizing about the big ban...which I have yet to see.

My personal opinion...if you don't have a vest, buy one.  You never know when you might need it.

Sheep
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 11:26:03 PM EDT
[#14]
speaking of body armor... I have to start re-looking into them.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 3:32:43 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Alot of the private ambulance service guys out here get jammed up on that and screwed out of the ability to buy vests.  They roll in to the dirtiest neighborhoods we do and they can't shoot back.

They don't need to shoot back.  All they need is a mobile billing system.  Anyone gives them problems, they give him a bill for all the services they "performed" for him and he'll have a heart attack on the spot.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 3:50:45 AM EDT
[#16]
remember- BA was used linke ONCE in the CA shootout in holly weird...so it must be banned world wide
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:04:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:15:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Its interesting to read this.

Most (perhaps all) states ban felons from possesing body armor.  Since there are no secret laws (even the PATRIOT Act) and all state and Federal statutes are available online, a simple Goggle search will find them.  Most of the state pages on Packing.org have a link.

For example, in Wisconsin, Statute 941.291 forbids persons convicted of violent felonies from possesing body armor with the process for requesting an exemption.

And I found that there was a bill requiring a permit for body armor possesion in Maryland in 2001 that failed.

But what some dealer said at a gun show is gospel.

Heck, my local "good" FFL is always telling me how the 1994 Clinton Assault Weapons Ban is "coming back, probably next week!" based on ???  - which of course, justifies his prices on "no-ban" and "pre-the-dead-ban" rifles and magazines...  So I should run down today and buy that $2500 "pre-the-dead-ban" AR and the $40 "pre-the-dead-ban" high-caps, right?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top