Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/30/2005 8:02:09 AM EDT
The one in my area is 0700-1530 M-F for 6 months, doesn't sound too bad to me but I would amagine it takes its toll on you after a couple months.  

I will just treat it like a full time job.

Is it a pretty good time or is it going to be another repeat of Basic Training
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:30:58 AM EDT
[#1]
It really depends on the academy.  
The regional academy I attended was more like going to college, rather than boot camp.  They use scenarios with roleplayers to create stress during the different training phases.
Other academies are run like a boot camp to create stress on the students.

Personally, since I was 35 years old and a former Marine, I didn't mind the "college" atmosphere.  But for the "new bucks" with no prior military experience, I think a boot camp style academy would be good for them.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:36:55 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Personally, since I was 35 years old and a former Marine, I didn't mind the "college" atmosphere.  But for the "new bucks" with no prior military experience, I think a boot camp style academy would be good for them.

Yeah I'm with you prior Infantryman here (Army) I have had my fair share of ass chewings and smoke sessions.  I really wouldn't mind the college atmosphere, going to class learning the trade.

They say its "low stress" whatever the heck that means...
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:56:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I've been to a big agency academy (7 months) and it was just like a basic training/ boot camp type environment.  When I switched agencies and states, I went to a regional academy and it was more of a "gentlemans" class atmosphere.
It will depend on where you go.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 12:00:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I went to the Ohio State Highway Patrol Academy for my basic. It was run like a para military outfit. Classroom was alot like college. Some guys couldn't take the structure, lost several the first day. Lasted 14 weeks and you stayed at the academy M-F, MAYBE  Wed night liberty. Ran you ragged fron 0500-2300 Hrs. On the weekends you did homework. Lots of attention to detail. Colors, revellie, taps, inspections etc.....
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 2:43:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 3:43:15 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I went to the Ohio State Highway Patrol Academy for my basic. It was run like a para military outfit. Classroom was alot like college. Some guys couldn't take the structure, lost several the first day. Lasted 14 weeks and you stayed at the academy M-F, MAYBE  Wed night liberty. Ran you ragged fron 0500-2300 Hrs. On the weekends you did homework. Lots of attention to detail. Colors, revellie, taps, inspections etc.....

Wow, that is alot of structure!

This would be in CA specifically, San Diego.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 1:58:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Our academy (LVMPD) is 23 weeks and is a paramilitary/ boot camp type academy, but not live in.

Semper Fi,
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:33:37 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

yeah OSP's academy is no joke.  I went to Cleveland Heights.  It was semi-para military if that's a word.  During PT it was ran like basic, probably helped that our instructor was an ex-marine drill sgt...lol.  As far as the classroom setting it was very college like.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 2:45:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I wouldn't worry about it.  With hours like 0700-1530, it sounds pretty easy.  The instructors will probably act like hard-asses at first then lighten up after a couple of weeks.  If you've been through boot camp and you're in halfway decent shape, it won't be shit.

As long as you don't have to sing any gay cadences
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:49:19 PM EDT
[#10]
I went to two academies.  First wasn't that bad.  Had to live there because it was out of town, but it wasn't bad.  Most intructors seemed eager to share their knowledge and help you learn.  Second academy was quite different.  0700 inspections every morning, followed by a berage of pushups because some jackass couldn't figure out how to wear his uniform properly.  Then it was classroom for the next 7 hours.  Classroom was low key, but some instructos really knew how to take the fun out of it.  2-3 days a week we did after hours PT for 2 hours.  5-6 mile runs with duty belts (that got old really fast!) and then a bunch of cals.  

From what i've gathered, every academy is a little different.  Some are a bit harder than others, but the important thing to remember is that you've made it that far.  Getting hired took me 15 months.  The academy took 6.  Unlike college, you're getting paid to stay in shape and learn, so I didn't mind that much.  The para-military style was fine with me.  It seemed to take the smart ass out of a lot of guys that needed it removed.  Some people have ego problems, and can't deal well with the military style training.  I didn't think it was that hard, but some guys would bitch and moan about formations and all the drill and ceremony stuff we did.  

Best way to make an academy go well is to get all the guys on the same page where they help each other out.  It's not a competition at this point, you're all hired.  You're going to be working with these guys and depending on them for backup, so it's wise to develop a good relationship.  My class was great at that.  We had a bunch of guys with professional mindsets...really helped out.

I thought that it would be a straight 9-5 feel, but it wound up taking up most of my time during the week.  Get out of training at 4pm or so, then it's a bit of a drive home.  Hit the grocery store, study, polish boots, press uniform, maybe make a couple of calls, then it's off to bed to get some well needed rest.  On the weekends, I partied my ass off.  Felt like college all over again.  

I wouldn't mind doing it again if I had too, but I'm glad that I'm done.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:19:19 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I thought that it would be a straight 9-5 feel, but it wound up taking up most of my time during the week.  Get out of training at 4pm or so, then it's a bit of a drive home.  Hit the grocery store, study, polish boots, press uniform, maybe make a couple of calls, then it's off to bed to get some well needed rest.  On the weekends, I partied my ass off.  Felt like college all over again.  

Yes i know the feeling after final formation in the military you still have to prep for the next day, shine boots, prep uniforms, laundry( plus I am a worry wart so I use to lay out each part of my uniform to PCI it the night before)  By that time you get some chow and relax for a couple hours then do it all again
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 12:45:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Mine was a 6 month boot camp. I hated it, but its just something you have to go thru. Alot of my friends went thru an 8 week "fun" academy. oh well..

No way would I ever do it again, I'm just too old for that BS.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:45:10 AM EDT
[#13]
San Bernardino County Sheriff's Academy, when I went through in 89 (Class 95), it was 18 weeks and it sucked. Full stress and had me wound up in knots, to me, it was worse than BCT at Ft, Knox, KY. Tactical officers were dicks. I understand that the academy there is now considerably longer and just as "Full stress". Your every move was scrutinized, heavy academics and heavy PT and lots of "smokings". Drivers training at EVOC is "kick ass" fun, especially the skid pan. Fortunately, the academy is NOT "police work". The range was "hum drum" really. The then academy mascot was a mangy St. Bernard called "Buttcus" that had to go everywhere with us. I understand that he's gone on to Dog heaven since. I hated that dog. Pink batons and arm bands were issued out to the fatasses and others that fell out of runs. Class snitches were in abundance that were trying to make their lives easier by taking someone else down for stupid stuff. Essentially, adults were sucessfully reduced to 7 year olds for much of the experience. There were inmate workers on the grounds and we had to address them as "SIR" as well, which pissed us off. Day 1 was sheer hell. Before the "Hell" started, we were all bullshitting in the student parking lot, talking about how were were all going to be BAD ASS COPS, at first formation, the tactical officers marched out in perfect formation, only to break off and find their individual "Pony" and smoke you, this lasted some time until they got a few people to quit on the spot. Mid way, we had lost more than half of our class. Plenty of prior military were stressed out. Me personally, I was perpetually nausiated througout the whole 18 weeks. I think back on it now and laugh, but, when in the middle of it back then, it was no laughing matter, we didn't have permission to have a sense of humor. Of course, there were several knuckleheads who screwed up even the smallest things, these guys are now called "DETECTIVE" or even "LT". Fortunately, we had more squared away people make it than we had knuckleheads who went on to be damn good cops.

Mostly, Adacemy is what you make of it. It's not easy, at least it wasn't for me. It IS worth it though, and the pride you feel is tremendous for surviving the utter bullshit of it, the disciplinary memos, the smokings, the "kids games" and mind games, the what feels like having a BA degree crammed into 18 weeks of academics and your every word nit-picked, every thread on your uniform severely punished. I'm not a cop anymore and have not been in quite some time, I jumped the fence some years later as it were and went over to EMS. However, I'll NEVER forget going to the Academy, it was quite an experience. Oh yeah, I'd also like to add that I'd never go through that crap again. I STILL feel unsettled when I'd see my Tactical Officers, SGT's Tony "Holy Jesus Christ I don't believe my eyes" Broten, Ortiz, "Gonzo" Gonzales, Guterrez and Sr Deputy Savage well after it was over. Yup, I STILL remember their names 17 years later.

ETA: Oh yeah, having our first meal at the Glen Helen Jail served to us by inmates would have gagged a maggot, I didn't eat ANYTHING that the inmates prepared, essentially, I ate the crackers and drank milk from an unopened pint carton. If they STILL have students have the first lunch on day 1 at the jail served by inmates, trust me when I tell you to eat nothing the inmates have prepared, nothing has ever been proven, but I had a feeling that these shitbird inmates may have used unscrupulous condiments in which to spice our food with.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 10:20:13 AM EDT
[#14]
I'll let you know how mine is. I start tomorrow. The way I look at it is I will be getting paid decent money to train, learn, and do some needed PT. Quitting is not an option. It took me over a year of being tested, scrutinized, interviewing and waiting all while working a job I hated to get to this point. Plus my family is depending on me me to succeed(better pay and benefits). So I dont care if I have to eat a shit sandwich for lunch everyday I will get through the academy and take my place in the ranks of LEO's.
I do know some real dumbasses and asshats that made it through this academy so I am not too worried, although I will be ready for anything and will study and train hard.
Good luck to you.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:02:32 PM EDT
[#15]
I just recently graduated from Police Academy, NVCJTA 113.

The first day they were all over us. They screwed with us like anything while issuing us our uniforms. We were told never look an instructor in the face and dropped for stupid things. That only lasted the first day. We did have something called “The Pan.” It was where they physically corrected us for an hour or so. It was pretty rough at they had three people puke and one asthma attack. But one of the hardest parts was staying away during legal class. That course of instruction was very rough. The practical (scenarios) were also run with paid role players and it was fairly simple looking back on it now. We had uniform inspections every day at 0655 and were done at 1530 everyday. Classes were 50 minutes long with 10 minute breaks between classes. We would pt daily either running a couple miles or be in the gym. Also had defensive tactics daily too; that was a lot of fun especially when we got to fight the instructors. Getting sprayed wasn’t anything I look forward to doing again but it is something you can work through. It sucks bad but not something you cant fight through.

The academy isn’t something that is hard to get though in my opinion if you apply yourself and study a lot. We mainly had people dropped for grades and if you study the books and notes for a couple hours before test you’ll be fine. My favorite thing about the academy is all the friends you come out of there with. That’s the only thing I’ll miss about it.  It was fun while it last it but the street is ten times better.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:13:30 PM EDT
[#16]
My first academy back in 97 really wasn't that bad.  We had rough days when the instructors would get pissed and run our asses off but nothing nobody couldn't survive.  

Going to start for another agency next month and I have to go through their basic academy and do the crap all over again for 6 months.  I figure this one will probably be a little tougher than the previous one.  

Don't worry you'll survive.  Be sure and tell your instructor and FTO that you are bad ass enough to go straight to SWAT.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:31:04 PM EDT
[#17]
When I went through, I went to a night police academy.    

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top