Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/29/2003 6:31:51 PM EDT
I picked it up from an old guy when I worked in a warehouse years ago. He called any female he saw a broad even little kids were called little broads. Maybe it refers to broad hips or chest anybody know?[thinking]

Link Posted: 5/29/2003 6:45:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Broad Street.

cynic (old guy)
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 6:57:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I always thought it came from bra with an ed added to the end like other words that have ed added, like braed, but pronouced and spelled broad since braed doesn't look right
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 7:01:07 PM EDT
[#3]
A "broad" is a pregnant cow.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 7:02:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I picked it up from an old guy when I worked in a warehouse years ago. He called any female he saw a broad even little kids were called little broads. Maybe it refers to broad hips or chest anybody know?[thinking]

View Quote

He must have been from Houston where the majority of women are "broad". [rofl2]

TT
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 7:51:21 PM EDT
[#5]
It refers to their hips.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 9:26:49 PM EDT
[#6]
This is why I want to buy an OED.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 9:33:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It refers to their hips.
View Quote

Agree.  That is the origin I remember.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 9:37:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

He must have been from Houston where the majority of women are "broad". [rofl2]

TT
View Quote

TT

Can't be from Houston.  Must be taken from the ankles/calves of womenz from Cheeseland.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 1:42:45 AM EDT
[#9]
orgins of "dame" and "dish" ?
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 2:03:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Yes. I believe it refers to the hips.
Chicks???
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 2:38:10 AM EDT
[#11]
There is a membrane that connects to a womans ovaries that is called the broad ligament.  
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 10:59:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Where did this slang word for woman come from? Evidently, it is not from being broad in the hips as is commonly believed.

Broad originally meant a playing card, especially one used in three card monte. This usage dates to 1781 and may refer to style of playing deck. In modern card decks, a bridge deck has narrower cards than are found in in poker deck. If this variation in card size is older (I know words, not cards), then a broad could be a reference to this larger cut of cards.

By 1912, broad was also being used to refer to a ticket (admission, transport, meal, etc.). Why this is so is uncertain. It could be due to the resemblance between a ticket and a playing card, or there could be another reason.

By 1914, the word was being used to mean a prostitute (perhaps from a pimp's meal ticket), then to women of loose morals, and eventually to women in general. Another explanation for this last shift could be the use of cards in three card monte. The goal of that game is to pick the queen from among three cards, and broad could have transferred from the card, to the queen, to women.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 12:05:21 PM EDT
[#13]
A long time ago we called female Marines "BAMS", Broad Ass Marines.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top