Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/9/2004 7:48:21 PM EDT
I was in a store here the yesterday and they had Benchmade automatic knives for sale. There was a sign that said active-duty military and police sales only. So I asked the guy if I could look at one. He said only if you are police or military. Since I am active-duty, I looked at a couple and thought they were cool. I asked him what the law was on carrying it around in my pocket. He said he didnt know, all he knew was he could only sale to military and police.

I went to benchmades website and it says the same thing.

Does anybody know what the law is on carrying switch-blade knives is and who can legally purchase and own them. I live in Alaska if that helps. Thanks for any and all information.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:54:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I do remember that the only one I've ever handled was at a garage sale at Ft. Devens, MA and the guy said the same thing (it was too expensive for a 14yo kid)
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:54:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I can tell you that I have a couple and I carry them from time to time, but I have heard they can open inadvertantly.  I have not suffered this unintended activation.  I think they are pretty cool and you can get very good bokers that are not near as expensive as benchmade or micro-tech.  Oh and in Oregon they are legal to carry as long as they are visible, ie outside the pocket clip or they are under a certain blade length which escapes me right now.

Kentlik

Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:56:10 PM EDT
[#3]
It's a 1950s era Federal law, plus all 50 states have some sort of 'automatic knife' law, as a result of too many folks watching 'greaser movies' about teenage thugs with auto-knives...

The Federal law says they may not be sold in interstate commerce to anyone besides police/military, but does not govern posession...

Posession is a state issue...
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:58:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:58:49 PM EDT
[#5]
In Fl. they're legal but not to carry unless you have a CCW. I have one and I think they're great!
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:59:11 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I can tell you that I have a couple and I carry them from time to time, but I have heard they can open inadvertantly.  I have not suffered this unintended activation.  I think they are pretty cool and you can get very good bokers that are not near as expensive as benchmade or micro-tech.  Oh and in Oregon they are legal to carry as long as they are visible, ie outside the pocket clip or they are under a certain blade length which escapes me right now.

Kentlik

Right you are. But be careful, there are many otherwise squared away officers who are not aware of this law and consider an automatic illegal for civilians.

Also, to my knowledge, there is no case law that says an auto in a pocket clip is not concealed.

You don't want to "beat the rap, but not the ride" as it were. Might want to keep a copy of the ORS with you.

-Z
-Z

Link Posted: 10/9/2004 8:04:41 PM EDT
[#7]
If memory serves me right, I believe in Texas it's legal to sell, buy, or own one, but illegal to carry one.  Go figure.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 8:05:14 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
In Fl. they're legal but not to carry unless you have a CCW. I have one and I think they're great!

+1

*Btw Thanks to Gov Bush for clarifying the law and defining 'ballistic knives"
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 8:14:53 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
It's a 1950s era Federal law, plus all 50 states have some sort of 'automatic knife' law, as a result of too many folks watching 'greaser movies' about teenage thugs with auto-knives...

The Federal law says they may not be sold in interstate commerce to anyone besides police/military, but does not govern posession...

Posession is a state issue...

Isn't there a clause in that law that say's if you only one arm you can purchase automatic knives?  I'm pretty sure if your handicaped in that way you can purchase one.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 8:19:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Is that a fully automatic knife in your pocket or are you just happy to see me? I'd hate to see it accidently "go off" while carrying it your pocket so close to Mr. Happy. Maybe they are illegal because they have so many thrusts per sqeeze

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 8:31:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Strangely enough, switchblades are pefectly legal in the PRK if the blade is under 2 inches.

For additional weirdness you can carry ANY LENGTH fixed blade knife as long as it's not concealed.

I can imagine what would happen in most urban areas here if someone carried a full size "Rambo" type knife strapped to their waist, but it WOULD be legal.  I guess that falls under the same response in states where open carry is legal but the cops will bust you for "disturbing the sheeple" or "menacing" while just walking peacefully down the street minding your own business.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 8:44:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top