Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/24/2009 5:34:14 PM EDT

First:  I've never had a truck before, but need one for hauling a boat of probably 3-5k lbs.  I've been looking at all the rebates and models for a while, but I'm still not much closer to making up my mind.  So I'm looking for best bang for the buck.   I realize people get very brand loyal, but I hold no loyalties at the moment, other than a slight favor for Honda.

I'd appreciate all advice!
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 6:51:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Since when does Honda make a truck?

How about some more requirements? Is that 3-5KLB cross country, through the mountains, or a few miles? Planning on going off road? How many people do you need to carry, how often? Are you looking for a pickup or SUV? How much cargo capacity do you need besides towing?

Also, the best deal will be a used truck.
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 7:23:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Honda actually does make the Ridgeline, a unibody truck.  But its max towing capacity is 5k, and I'm afraid it'd be struggling too much.  

Very flat terrain down here, 2-50 miles hauling a boat.  Capacity for 4 people is ideal, 2 people everyday though.  Offroad, not really, 4x4 would be nice for beaches, but not necessary.  I prefer a pickup, I do need to haul lawn stuff and sheets of plywood.  Hauling plywood would be short 2 mile trips in town though, I can live with it hanging out the back.

Everyday use would be a 5 mile jaunt up the interstate to work, I'd like a compromise between efficiency for everyday and pulling capacity, but I doubt that's very realistic.  Edit: On the subject of things that probably aren't realistic, good handling is a plus to me, I like vehicles that handle corners well.  AWD/4WD auto would be great in that regard.

How much better of a deal is used right now when they're taking 7-15k off the sticker?

Thanks for the specific questions Jeremy.

Link Posted: 3/24/2009 7:31:53 PM EDT
[#3]
The dodge ram is the best truck for the money.

Stay away from the 09 models the medal is paper thin.

The tundra is crap, when you haul a load or tow  with the tailgate down

the bedsides tear away from the bed. The frame also bend while turning with a trailer

on it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 7:43:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Stay away from the 09 models the medal is paper thin.

The tundra is crap, when you haul a load or tow  with the tailgate down

the bedsides tear away from the bed. The frame also bend while turning with a trailer

on it.

AMEN.  

Don't just think about the boat, but the passengers, gear, beer, etc, along with what speed you want to maintain on the way to the water, along with the hills.  Hands down, the Dodge Cummins Diesel is the towing god. I have done a fair amount of heavy towing and that is the only platform I would consider.  My dealer had 3/4 and 1 ton trucks lined up with zero sales activity.  Get a 2008 and save huge.  The 3/4 ton Cummins 4x4 was only $2K more than the half ton 4x4.
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 8:00:10 PM EDT
[#5]
The new cummins had crap for mileage from what I thought was the norm for diesels (better than half ton gas mileage of ~15/20).  It seems to be due to new emissions restrictions.   Theres a megadealer about an hour and a half away advertising 08 dodge diesels for 25 grand though.  The new hemi seems to have the same gas mileage as the rest of them and could haul twice what I need to, I was leaning that way in a fullsize truck.

Am I correct to assume the Dodges have the worst resale however?
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 2:31:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The new cummins had crap for mileage from what I thought was the norm for diesels (better than half ton gas mileage of ~15/20).  It seems to be due to new emissions restrictions.   Theres a megadealer about an hour and a half away advertising 08 dodge diesels for 25 grand though.  The new hemi seems to have the same gas mileage as the rest of them and could haul twice what I need to, I was leaning that way in a fullsize truck.

Am I correct to assume the Dodges have the worst resale however?

Yes, dodge has the worst resale value.  I would recommend a new Silverado Z71.  I traded my 06 ram 4x4 in on a new Tahoe because I needed more room.  I know that my Tahoe will tow well over 5k lbs, so the Silverado will do the same.  My last Chevy truck (2000 Z71), had 205,000 miles on it when I sold it, had the original transmission and everything, ran just as good as when I bought it.  I've had my Tahoe almost a year, and its been the best vehicle I've ever owned!

Link Posted: 3/25/2009 5:33:26 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Honda actually does make the Ridgeline, a unibody truck.  But its max towing capacity is 5k, and I'm afraid it'd be struggling too much.  

Very flat terrain down here, 2-50 miles hauling a boat.  Capacity for 4 people is ideal, 2 people everyday though.  Offroad, not really, 4x4 would be nice for beaches, but not necessary.  I prefer a pickup, I do need to haul lawn stuff and sheets of plywood.  Hauling plywood would be short 2 mile trips in town though, I can live with it hanging out the back.

Everyday use would be a 5 mile jaunt up the interstate to work, I'd like a compromise between efficiency for everyday and pulling capacity, but I doubt that's very realistic.  Edit: On the subject of things that probably aren't realistic, good handling is a plus to me, I like vehicles that handle corners well.  AWD/4WD auto would be great in that regard.

How much better of a deal is used right now when they're taking 7-15k off the sticker?

Thanks for the specific questions Jeremy.

From what you have said, I think you would be best off with the Ridgeline, conditional on your listed towing requirement. How are you coming up with 3-5K? Dry weight of boat + trailer is going to be much less than the weight with gas, balast, gear, etc.

The Ridgeline would be the best everyday vehicle, and will be much more comfortable and handle better with low COG, unibody, and independent suspension. I have a friend that has one, and while I think it ugly as sin, and it would not work for me with offroad and hauling requirements, it is a nice vehicle. He has hauled a 5000 lb enclosed trailer and 4 people from Canada to North Carolina with it many times. Probably not the best idea, and he can't break 60mph on some of the long grades, but it does the job.

Then you can consider the Tacoma and Frontier. They are trucks, and ride and handle like trucks, but can pull 6500lbs, and go off road. They are also small enough to still fit in parking spaces and down town parking garages (usually). Mileage 17-20mpg if you drive gently, pulling will be 8-12 depending on grades and speed.

In the half tons, I like the new style Sierra, or Tundra. They are a bit larger, but should have no problem with your towing requirements. Expect city mileage of 13-15, 8-12 towing.

Skip the 3/4+ ton and diesels. They are not good for a 5-10 mile daily driver.

Link Posted: 3/25/2009 6:35:06 AM EDT
[#8]
The Honda is not a truck and is not really made for towing 5000 lbs.  My choice would be the Chevrolet, or find you a used Tundra 04-06 model.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 8:31:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Honestly? Pick up a used 15 or 2500 class and use it just to tow. Then have your car for a DD.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 1:48:13 PM EDT
[#10]
If the truck is solely for towing the boat, get whatever is the cheapest truck you can find that you still feel comfortable driving.

Most people don't keep their boats for too long.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 2:12:21 PM EDT
[#11]
The honda was supposedly built from the ground up as a truck, and browsing the ridgeline forums they seem to have no problems hauling up to the limit.   As far as where I'm getting the weight limit from:  I'm guessing at the high end of the scale a 20-22' bay boat / center console.  They seem to be 1.5-2.5k lbs dry, and i'm (hopefully) being conservative by guessing up to 5k fueled + trailer.  

Theres actually a lot I like about the Ridgeline, the funky look is even growing on me.  I'm just concerned that I wouldn't have enough power to feel comfortable towing, and I don't trust that forum full of ridgeline owners to be impartial.  On the plus side, they can be landed for 5-7k off MSRP which I think is great for a honda,  hold their value longer, and otherwise fit what I want about perfectly.  I'm sure I'll get odd looks down here on the gulf coast, but c'est la vie.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 6:37:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Best engines available, yes maybe, best truck overall?  !!!

Get a Chevy or a Ford and be happy that you won't have transmission and brake problems, plus they hold their resale better.  

BTW I thought this was about best value currently?  Run to a Ford dealership and steal a brand new old style F150 while the new models are just arriving.  Chevy has a decent incentives as well to move their inventory.  Dodge, being Dodge sky rocket their prices and then cut them during negotiations making it appear like the consumer if getting a good deal, don't get fooled.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 7:08:33 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

The honda was supposedly built from the ground up as a truck, and browsing the ridgeline forums they seem to have no problems hauling up to the limit.   As far as where I'm getting the weight limit from:  I'm guessing at the high end of the scale a 20-22' bay boat / center console.  They seem to be 1.5-2.5k lbs dry, and i'm (hopefully) being conservative by guessing up to 5k fueled + trailer.  

Theres actually a lot I like about the Ridgeline, the funky look is even growing on me.  I'm just concerned that I wouldn't have enough power to feel comfortable towing, and I don't trust that forum full of ridgeline owners to be impartial.  On the plus side, they can be landed for 5-7k off MSRP which I think is great for a honda,  hold their value longer, and otherwise fit what I want about perfectly.  I'm sure I'll get odd looks down here on the gulf coast, but c'est la vie.
I thought the Ridgeline was based on the Honda minivan chassis...

Anyway, like I said before, I know someone that hauls over the limit, a lot, with his ridgeline with no problem. As long as you stay out of overdrive, and are on less than a 15% grade, you will be fine power wise.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 3:46:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Best engines available, yes maybe, best truck overall?  !!!

Get a Chevy or a Ford and be happy that you won't have transmission and brake problems, plus they hold their resale better.  

I consider my Ram to be one of the greatest trucks I have owned. The Chrysler products of today are alot better than the Chrysler products of the late seventies and eighties. I would stack my Ram against a compairable Silverado anyday of the week.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 3:11:56 PM EDT
[#15]
In the 150/1500 class of trucks, it is a wash. Buy the one you like the most. There really ain't enough difference to matter. Once you step up the work trucks, then there is more of a difference, but you don't sound like you really have a use for one. Find an extended or crew cab 1/2 ton truck, be it Chevy, Ford, or Dodge for the lowest dollar. The Chevy will probably get the best mileage and will have the best ride, but that can be subjective anyways. Test drive them, and buy the one you like the best. Don't forget to look at used trucks though, as there are still a ton out there. If you do look at Chevys, find one with the 5.3L. It will tow better than the 4.8. The 4.8 isn't a bad motor, just not a real good tower when you are up around 5500-7000 lbs.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:00:13 PM EDT
[#16]
I just bought an '09 F150 4x4 tonight and have been shopping around for the last week or so. I was able to qualify for the x plan through my work and with a little skillful negotiation I was able to accomplish all of my objectives. I traded in my Dodge for the Ford. The major selling point for me was the AC. The Dodge just didn't blow out as much air as the Ford does. Needless to say, I'm a happy camper. It's too late to post pictures, otherwise I would.

Also, I had the dealer take the stupid STX4x4 stickers off the side of the truck. It really makes it look much better.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:16:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Chevy or Ford.

Dodge makes a decent truck, but not up to par with the aforementioned.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top