Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/26/2005 5:16:53 PM EDT
Im looking for a new watch and I just cant make up my mind what I want. I know I like a big faced watch, the bigger the better, seems the older I get the bigger the better, I would like to keep the price under a grand, so pretty much anything is in the open I guess. I have had tags, seikos, citizens, etc suggested to me at work and would like a real world opinion. I would also be happy with a g shock again, but would like to try something different. I do want quality, durability, water proof, no gold, just a watch that looks good and can take it. Whats yalls opinion, and thanks for any replies, I will look up each suggestion yall make
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 5:18:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I got a cheap $30 from Target thats lasted 2 years so far of abuse.... I dont buy expensive ones as they WILL break. Cheap ones last forever. One before this one lasted 8 years.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 5:18:32 PM EDT
[#2]
New watch thread. w00t.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 5:19:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I'de say go with a g-shock but since you said you wanted something different..
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 5:19:54 PM EDT
[#4]
if you have DAKOTA anywhere around you...get one of their steel watches....lasts a damn long time

and they gots some damn big faces
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 5:21:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Titanium or steel Luminox dive watch... or Stealth series.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 5:22:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm real partial to the Swiss Army brand of watches...I've had mine for 11 years and it's just as good as Day 1.

HH
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 5:24:04 PM EDT
[#7]
My Casio dive watch has lasted through a bunch of sh*t...

I keep burning batteries, though. Ever since I got the original replaced (2 years), it'll only go a year or so if I'm lucky.

IIRC, about $40. W/P to 300M. Wish it had Tritium points, but, for $40...
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 5:24:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Timex Expedition $25 and it will last for ever.......atleast mine has
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 5:26:51 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a Seiko Kinetic that I have had for 5 plus years, out friggin standing watch.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 5:27:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks guys, Im busy googleing right now, one of the main reasons also that I like a big watch is I have fairly large wrists and anything too small looks a little ghirly on me thanks again for the replies, the more choices the better.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 5:29:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Wifey bought me a Seiko Aviator for Fathers Day, it has a fairly large face and is also a fine looking watch.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 5:33:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Get a Soviet submariner/paratrooper wrist watch. $50, wind-up (EMP-proof and you don't have to pay for batteries!), tough as a mother-***er, and cool as heck.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 5:34:15 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Wifey bought me a Seiko Aviator for Fathers Day, it has a fairly large face and is also a fine looking watch.

I looked that one up on ebay, and man thats a good looking watch, what is everyones opinion on the automatic watches, are they any better, less durable etc. I get so tired of batteries. Thanks again. This is getting to be fun searching stuff, like I need another excuse to stay on the computer.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 5:34:54 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Get a Soviet submariner/paratrooper wrist watch. $50, wind-up (EMP-proof and you don't have to pay for batteries!), tough as a mother-***er, and cool as heck.

You got a link, thanks
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 5:36:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Marathon TSAR

www.lapolicegear.com/mattrh3diwa.html

I got mine last week and am very happy with it.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 5:38:15 PM EDT
[#16]
With you stating a $1000 budget, im assuming you are looking for a higher end all-around watch. So, with that in mind...

Omega SeaMaster Automatic. You can find them right around the $1000 mark if you shop around. Super big bezel, built like a tank, look sharp as hell too! You may have to spend a few extra bucks to get the one you really like, but you wont regret it.

You cant really go wrong with the higher end Seiko's if you want to save some money.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 5:39:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Casio Protrek Titanium - triple sensor - $170

Solar Powered + Compass, Altimiter, Barometer and all the usual stuff.

It can pretty much be worn for all occasions, which is a plus.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 5:40:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 6:03:12 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

You cant really go wrong with the higher end Seiko's if you want to save some money.

Any particular model, even though Im dang near 40 this is all kinda new
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 6:07:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Fossil or Casio watches are both great.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 6:16:45 PM EDT
[#21]
I like watching air shows and hot women dance on a pole your interests of course may vary.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 6:17:30 PM EDT
[#22]
I just bought a Tissot. It's a swiss watch. Has a saphire crystal. I was just on a eastern carribean cruise, basically nothing else to do on that trip for guys but shop for watches. Anyhow, I was told that all high end watches now come with saphire crystals because they don't scratch like your normal mineral based crystal faces. So these Tissot's are the cheapest saphire crystal faced watch you can get (or so I'm told). I paid $329 for mine. Tissot is made by Omega (another high end watch maker like brietling). But the brietling watches are beatiful and very high quality.
But if you want a real nice watch at around $1000 get a breitling
Tissot are also good for 200 meter dives, and of course they're swiss!
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 6:21:17 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You got a link, thanks

At the moment, no. The place that sells them is out of stock and doesn't know when they'll get more.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 6:21:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 6:24:32 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

+1

My latest G-Shock is 8 yrs old and stall kicking Not so purty anymore though
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 6:26:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Russian military watches not sure about actual authenticity.

This is always a good conversational piece:
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 6:27:41 PM EDT
[#27]
I just bought a pretty fancy-looking Citizen for $45 from Wally World.

Looks good, tells time, displays date. Works for me!
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 7:09:37 PM EDT
[#28]
check out this auction at Ebay scroll to the bottom and check out where they DON'T ship to.....HA HA!
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 9:23:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Does anyone have an opinion on tag formulas, nautica, invicta or suunto-thanks
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 9:58:50 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Does anyone have an opinion on tag formulas, nautica, invicta or suunto-thanks

Formulas are pretty sturdy watches, but for that price point, you are still mostly paying for the Tag name, and not getting anything in the way of features.

Nautica? I think they are chinese or taiwanese made, and the just slap their name on 'em. Questionable quality for sure!

The Suunto watches are nice, and feature packed for the market they are in, but not much of a looker if you need it for a night out on the town

I forgot one more suggestion. FORTIS They have several different options in terms of bracelet material, they even have a black PVD finish option on the stainless steel cases/bracelets. They have a somewhat confusing model# system, but I think a good example is the Pilot Automatic Black PVD mod# 595.18.41M it has a reliable automatic movement that should last forever. You can also get the same watch with either a rubber or a leather band. They also have some pretty cool limited edition watches on their website if that is your thing. But with Fortis, you definately get what you pay for, and then some.

You can get an idea of their prices if you go on ebay. For around $500-$1000, you get get a very nice Swiss made watch with a quality automatic movement.

Here is a link to there site: www.fortis-watch.com/start/frameset.html
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 5:00:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Thanks Im still looking up everything yall suggested. Keep em coming
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 5:19:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Check out this place for good prices.  I bought a Tag Carrera Chrono yesterday and had it FedEx overnight.  Good prices.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 5:28:26 PM EDT
[#33]
I think I saw at least one other person mention Breitling.  I've been wearing one for about six years now on a daily basis.  I work outdoors and am certainly not gentle with it.  Stainless steel body and band, kinetic/self winding, and tough as nails.  Available waterproof to varying depths as well.  The only other watch I'd consider at this point in my life is possibly a Tag.  I know a few people who swear by them.  Whatever you decide, make damn sure you're happy with it, since you'll likely be looking at it several times a day for many, many years.  Good luck in your decision.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:21:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:31:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Casio Pathfinder- compass, barometer, temp, altimeter, solar recharge, alarm, timer, etc normal watch features.

Also the Sea-pathfinder (which is the one I have). The same except depthometer, instead of altimeter. No need for a altimeter in Florida. Great watch, I love mine.

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:58:16 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

My latest G-Shock is 8 yrs old and stall kicking Not so purty anymore though

But that's what makes it so pretty.  That been thru hell look!  w00t!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:01:38 PM EDT
[#37]
if you want a nice seiko, check out this guy:

www.roachman.com

He's in Malaysia, but I've bought from him without problems.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:24:07 PM EDT
[#38]
I've got one of those Chase Durer Spec Ops watches. I like it because it's huge, black stainless and has a timer. I don't like the labeling much.  I also have an older Tag Formula 1 Chrono that is nice, but too small.  Fortis makes some nice autos and quartz watches and will be next on my list.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top