Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/14/2009 1:35:49 PM EDT
I'd like to take a vacation this september.  I have been extremely stressed since october of last year.  At that point my extremely fast growing  small business turned into almost no business at all.    I went from having a ton of work to no work and a ton of debt.    Since that point I have worked extremely hard to stay in business.  Many would of just quit but I kept on fighting.  We have down sized termendously but our doors and still opening and we work every day.  We are eliminating our debt as fast possible.  I don't even remember the last time I got a paycheck.  Getting out of debt is our top priority and we will never use credit in our business again.    In 2-3 months I will be finshed from pulling myself out of the hole I got myself into.  At that point i'd like to take alittle trip for a week to clear my head and think about the next step I want to take in business.

I live in NJ.  I never went on family vacations growing up.  I really havent seen much in this country.   I did not leave the NJ tri state area until I was 20.  I drove to texas in 2006 and flew to vegas in 2007.   I have no gf and no real close friends so this will be a solo trip.  Where should I go?  I'd like to keep the cost 2k or less and have no proablem flying.  And I am not looking to just lay on the beach for a week.

What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:38:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Backpacking through Europe.  My friend did it right after he graduated from college and has some great stories.  Didn't spend much and got to see and do a whole lot including running with the bulls.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:38:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Put a little cushion in the bank before you take a vacation. MUCH less stress.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:39:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I would book a cruise.. Come up with the oddest profession you can think of add, an accent for character and live another life on board.. Plenty of ppl to mingle with and there is always something to do on board

brian
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:40:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Put a little cushion in the bank before you take a vacation. MUCH less stress.

Money will be in the bank by fall.  It will also be the first time I have had zero debt since I was 18.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:40:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Go to Europe.

ETA:  You really need at least 1-2 months to scratch the surface.

You can spend a week in one European city.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:41:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd spend some time out west, Wyoming maybe...a member here had some stunning pics taken out there and it'll be my destination when I get some vacation time.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:43:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Backpacking Europe is a good idea, but you need more than a week imo.

I did 29 days when i was 25. Went with 4 other friends and it was a once in a lifetime experience.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:43:30 PM EDT
[#8]
depends on your hobbies and interests...I am thinking of a road trip myself in Sept - probably to Nashville and back...
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:46:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Get a Rand McNally road atlas. Measure some mileages in all directions for about 600 miles (about one day's drive).
You didn't really give an interest in what you'd like to see. With the measurement you should have an idea of what is near enough to go explore.
I'd probably go north and explore Vermont or Maine for slightly cooler weather, south for a bit more heat. West you can go to Pennsylvania and see Gettysburg.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:47:03 PM EDT
[#10]
New Yark city.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:51:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Eastern Europe...ever seen the movie Hostel? It's just like that but slightly more fun.  
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:55:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'd like to take a vacation this september.  I have been extremely stressed since october of last year.  At that point my extremely fast growing  small business turned into almost no business at all.    I went from having a ton of work to no work and a ton of debt.    Since that point I have worked extremely hard to stay in business.  Many would of just quit but I kept on fighting.  We have down sized termendously but our doors and still opening and we work every day.  We are eliminating our debt as fast possible.  I don't even remember the last time I got a paycheck.  Getting out of debt is our top priority and we will never use credit in our business again.    In 2-3 months I will be finshed from pulling myself out of the hole I got myself into.  At that point i'd like to take alittle trip for a week to clear my head and think about the next step I want to take in business.

I live in NJ.  I never went on family vacations growing up.  I really havent seen much in this country.   I did not leave the NJ tri state area until I was 20.  I drove to texas in 2006 and flew to vegas in 2007.   I have no gf and no real close friends so this will be a solo trip.  Where should I go?  I'd like to keep the cost 2k or less and have no proablem flying.  And I am not looking to just lay on the beach for a week.

What do you guys think?

Backpack Europe. I did 6 months in 1994 and it was the incredible. Met some great people and learned alot about this world we live in.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:56:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Don't forget about SE Asia, your $$ money will go a lot farther in Thailand and Vietnam than using Euros.  But if you go backpacking anywhere, you NEED more than a week.  Do it right or just go sit on the beach.  South or Central America would be cool to.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:56:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Go somewhere big and open, with few roads.  Sit under a tree and do some fishing with your feet in a stream.  Where you won't see more than five people all day.  Decompress.

My Idea of hell is the Reality of Back East.  There is NO place someone hasn't already fucked up. For years.  That and the nonstop car noise.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:57:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Hike the Appalachian Trail.

The economy will probably turn around before you'e finished.  
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:57:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Don't forget about SE Asia, your $$ money will go a lot farther in Thailand and Vietnam than using Euros.  But if you go backpacking anywhere, you NEED more than a week.  Do it right or just go sit on the beach.  South or Central America would be cool to.

I've heard Thailand is STOOPID cheap!
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:59:05 PM EDT
[#17]
This may not fit into your desired September time frame, but EAA Airventure is always inspiring.
http://www.airventure.org/
Good clean fun. Friendly people. Lots of horse power. Good opportunity to learn something.
Stay at the YMCA. Indoor camping, with a solid roof over your head, in case it rains, and air conditioned.
https://www.oshkoshymca.org/pdf/EAAIndoorCampingRegistration.pdf

John
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:59:29 PM EDT
[#18]
This is AR15...Go to a shooting school

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:00:08 PM EDT
[#19]
You wanna get laid and party your young ass off?

Go to somewhere in Brazil besides Rio. Try Ilheus.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:00:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Alaska is the best stress relief I know of, I came here for a few days 25 years ago and stayed. The only problem is if you have to go back to the same old bullshit.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:01:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Vegas or Miami
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:03:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It Is
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:03:17 PM EDT
[#23]
I heard MCRD Parris Island is quite decent around September.  A great place to work all those "stress kinks" out of your system.  You'll get to spend some time on the beach, shoot rifles, eat for free....and get paid for it.  I heard there's women on the island too.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:04:34 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It Is

On a serious note, other than young hookers, what is there to do/see there?

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:05:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Go somewhere or do something you can pretty much figure a typical woman wouldn't want to.

There are a few vacations I'd like to try but that my wife is not real high on.  Hell, I'd like to take a cruise on a container ship or take a long train trip.  Given an excess of funds, I'd like to take a Russian icebreaker cruise to the North Pole
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:09:57 PM EDT
[#26]

I know you probably don't want to hear this but.....when I had my business I didn't take vacations, at least not in the "leave and forget about it". Some 4 day get away, but nothing in the first year. The first couple years are tough, but it's critical that you devote the time to it. I started mine back in the 80's when the business climate was for crap also.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:10:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Go to Europe...pick a few countries...get a Eurail pass here in the US...train travel in Europe is great...plan your travel days so it is during the day time so you get to see the European scenery...train stations in the major cities are well located...you should find inexpensive hotel rooms near by....If you like where your at stay a few days or if not get on a train and go somewhere else.
Counties I like are Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Northern Italy.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:12:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Hike the Appalachian Trail, or at least part of it.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:13:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It Is

On a serious note, other than young hookers, what is there to do/see there?

Depends on what you like to do, awesome rock climbing down south in Krabi, along with good scuba diving.  Shit tons of other Euro backpackers to party with on the cheap along with some quite tasty Israeli chicks that I met along the way.  Thailand has a lot more to offer than just ping pong shows and the people are super nice for the most part and know how to make some great food for dirt cheap.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:16:38 PM EDT
[#30]
The Balkans. Definitely the Balkans.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:17:27 PM EDT
[#31]
http://www.hostelworld.com/         Great place to look for cheap places to stay all over the world.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:17:37 PM EDT
[#32]
http://www.frontsight.com/landingpg-1.asp?src=gaw&kw=front%20sight&gclid=CKvPx_jkipsCFRJexwodHVUXoQ

Seriouslym this is AR-15! They have a class for AR, handgun, shotgun, bladed weapon. My shill improved dramatically after 4 days there and though it may be something a gf/so might not want to do, there ARE many women thatattend.

It was a great experience for me!
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:21:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Thailand
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:23:41 PM EDT
[#34]
I lady I worked with took a cruise to Antarctica.  This was probably about 4 years ago.  I think they went on a russian icebreaker.
I don't remember all the details, but it sounded interesting.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:25:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
New Yark city.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:48:32 PM EDT
[#36]
In September?  Hunting in Alaska.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:53:31 PM EDT
[#37]
I would rather not go to Europe.  I think there is more then enough to see in our own country.  

My hobbies?  I really don't have many as my business takes most of my time.  I do like hiking, site seeing, history etc.  Basically I really havent been to many places at all.  So almost anything is impressive!
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:53:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Amsterdam.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:54:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Go somewhere big and open, with few roads.  Sit under a tree and do some fishing with your feet in a stream.  Where you won't see more than five people all day.  Decompress.

My Idea of hell is the Reality of Back East.  There is NO place someone hasn't already fucked up. For years.  That and the nonstop car noise.

well that's a totally false statement.

––––––––––––––-

i vote montana and the rockies if your gonna stay in the U.S.

and europe if going abroad.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:59:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Branson, MO

Jim neighbors theatre and Yakov..
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:06:41 PM EDT
[#41]
If you just want to decompress, I'd probably go hiking in Maine or Vermont. Car camp, do some day hikes. With some luck you can get in under the weather. It's a bit more active than laying in the beach, and anti-social enough to be done solo. Some boots, a day pack, and you're good.

Doing a high-speed driving tour of the Western US is tempting, but just getting there would burn up a lot of your week.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:10:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Go to High Point, NJ or Delaware Water Gap with backpack and food.  Start South or North on Appalachian Trail.  Your Choice.

ETA:  Didn't see AT was already suggested.  Guess I should read the whole thread first.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:10:49 PM EDT
[#43]
I've heard that Mali and the Congo are nice this time of year...Maybe Somalia? I've heard that you should probably stay out of Mogadishu but other than that you should be good to go. Be sure to take a camera, we want pictures.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:19:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Double

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:20:00 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

I would rather not go to Europe.  I think there is more then enough to see in our own country.  

My hobbies?  I really don't have many as my business takes most of my time.  I do like hiking, site seeing, history etc.  Basically I really havent been to many places at all.  So almost anything is impressive!

Fly to Denver, rent a cheap car and explore Colorado.  Direct flight and tons to see and do.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:21:39 PM EDT
[#46]

I think you need to get a Passport ASAP.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:21:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Backpacking through Europe.  My friend did it right after he graduated from college and has some great stories.  Didn't spend much and got to see and do a whole lot including running with the bulls.

+ 1 this idea....
Hostels are 15 bucks a night and you can splurge once a week on a hotel room for 40 bucks a night to get your laundary done..... The Europass is the best deal going from getting from one end of europe to the other while you sleep....

Did a 16 day trip a couple of years ago and had a blast..... Remember they are more interested in learning about you than you are about them.... My trip Rocked!!

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:26:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
This is AR15...Go to a shooting school

Seriously.

September is a beautiful time to be in Northern New England..........come up to New Hampshire , shoot a class at the Sig Academy , then drive up to Mt Washington and hike or take the cog railway to the summit. Do some fly fishing and /or canoeing or kayaking ,some hiking or camping and just hang out after the tourists leave , but before it gets packed again for the foliage season.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:33:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Go to Alaska.....Into the Wild.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:37:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Amsterdam.

Yep a must encounter on your trip to Europe Party and fuck all night and sleep in the park during the day..... The bulldog and the dutch girls were a favorite..... Dont forget to grab a 12 pack for a canal cruise......

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top