Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/14/2005 7:43:57 AM EDT
I always have a pistol with me. I would like to have a rifle and shotgun in there too. Is there a discrete and/or secure way to keep them in an expedition.

The down side to the expedition is the way the rear seats fold into the rear floor.

Any ideas or products
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:46:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/14/2005 7:48:05 AM EDT by IAMLEGEND]
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:03:12 AM EDT

Originally Posted By IAMLEGEND:
Truckvault

www.truckvault.com/images/generic/icons/1drwrstd_180.jpg

www.truckvault.com/images/generic/icons/offset_std.jpg

That's exactly what I was going to post. I have wanted that thing for my Bronco ever since seeing it on 24!!
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:09:03 AM EDT

Truckvault

Wonder how much of a pain it is lugging them out when you need all the storage space in the back... nice but interested in other options...
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:23:36 AM EDT
Anybody have a screenshot from 24?

I would really like to be able to use the third seat on occasion. These would preclude that. I guess you can't have it all
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:24:40 AM EDT

Originally Posted By YANKEEFAN:

Truckvault

That's exactly what I was going to post. I have wanted that thing for my Bronco ever since seeing it on 24!!

Exactly! Have your own CTU vehicle. Kick-ass.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:32:23 AM EDT
Back in the day I worked for US Cellular in Knoxville. We had these guys from some .gov department stop in for an install. They had some trick roof mount in the car for MP5. Was a pretty sweet set-up.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:36:57 AM EDT
i have 3 carseats for my children in the back seat of my truck. a .410 shotgun with slugs is completely hidden between them and the seat. and it's easily accessable (it slides right out from the side) if you know it's there.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:38:55 AM EDT
I've got a 2001 F150 crew cab, and my AR15 fits underneath the bench in the back, completely hidden. It doesnt slide out or anything.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:41:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/14/2005 8:49:43 AM EDT by StealthyBlagga]
I think there would be a number of very simple and low/no-cost locations if the weapons were small enough. Under seats, between seats, behind seats, those special interior roof racks for hunters, storage/utility compartments, even cheap plastic crates in the trunk. I assume concealing a long-gun in your vehicle is legal where you live ? If so, a folding stock 870 and a folding stock AK will be extremely short. Here's a side-by-side photo of an underfolder AK and a 7.5" AR15 SBR:

Having said the above, you might waant to revaluate the need to really carry both a shotgun and a rifle. One or the other should suffice in most scenarios. I would lean towards the shotgun: buckshot is a great defensive round, slugs are quite accurate at most extended defensive ranges and birdshot is a great less-lethal option for looters/rioters. The clincher for me is that, IMHO, if you are seen carrying a shotgun in a NOLA-like situation you are less likely to be perceived as a threat by an LEO.

If you must have a rifle, I would lean towards a Mini14 or an AR. Although an AK is attractive because of its compactness and cost (who cares if a $300 WASR gets beat up/rusted/stolen), an AK just screams "bad guy" and for that reason alone I would never consider one for SHTF. YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:44:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/14/2005 8:49:37 AM EDT by prk]
1. Handguns:
Look in the J C Whitney catalog & others. Someone had a container that fit into the space between the wheel-well and the tailgate. Of course if you don't HAVE a real tailgate, (like a rear "door") that could be a left/right issue.

2. Rifles
Build your own false floor with lid/drawer if your don't like what's on the market. But maybe you should contact the people that HAVE products, even if you don't THINK they'll work, and discuss your Expedition with them, get their dimensions, etc. I doubt they're unaware of the issues of phony SUV's and seats that don't really fold down flat.

3. Get rid of the Excretion and get a late-edition Bronco. On mine, the rear seat folded forward with the rear backrest up against the backrest of the front seat, leaving a small gap. I used to keep the long guns on the floor there (encased, of course). The issue of "what if I need all the cargo space?" and removing your 'solution' will always exist, no matter what you do. Life is full of compromises.

4. Get one of those small in-home safes and bolt it to the floor (only after ensuring that you are not gonna drill into the fuel tank/brake line/wiring harness, IF you can find expansion bolts that will work & have adequate clearance, etc. Just maybe you can find a spot where the holes would be accessible from beneath, allowing a regular cap screw & locking nut.

5. Depending on the weather/climate not being even potentially unhealthy, put Cujo in the back.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:51:05 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:53:27 AM EDT
Its ironic. An SUV, with all its interior space, is the hardest to conceal something. Particulary my expedition. It has the rear captains chairs and the 3rd seat that folds down between the rear wheels.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:09:53 PM EDT
I simply tuck my pistol under my right thigh, easily accessable.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:11:57 PM EDT

Truckvault

I believe the cops who drive vehicles like that use something very similar to secure their weapons. A wonderful idea.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:17:41 PM EDT
My biggest fear is that the whole vehicle is going to be stolen.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:27:26 PM EDT

Originally Posted By steve-oh:
I've got a 2001 F150 crew cab, and my AR15 fits underneath the bench in the back, completely hidden. It doesnt slide out or anything.

+1 in addition to a lock box for a G27. The locks and lock boxes screw to the underside of the F150 seat. Big-ole freeking piece of heavy gauge steel.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 12:17:32 PM EDT
I've been trying to find some kind of lockbox I can install into the escape in case I have to walk into someplace I can't carry into.

So far, no luck.

I'd love it if somebody made a center-console slip-in box that locked into place. That would be excellent.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 1:00:54 PM EDT
Chevy tahoes/suburbans have a great spot between rear seats and folded up 3rd row seats
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:19:57 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:27:37 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:36:08 PM EDT
Dumb question: What constitutes "within a driver's control"?

Is a rooftop carrier the only way to avoid being Shanghaied if you have anything in an SUV?

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:36:34 PM EDT
Just put a John Kerry sticker in the window
Prob solved

Top Top