Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2006 3:30:26 PM EDT
Id like to be able to have a gun that i can grab to get to the better ones in the safe, in case the of a home invasion.
Leaving the safe unlocked is not a option, one it is accross the house and and two, I would to have to unlock the safe every day i come home and risk forgeting to not lock it before i leave and have someone burglarize our home when no one is here, making the safe pointless.

It should be adequete to defend myself until i get to the safe to load up on the heavy stuff and cheap so just incase my house was ever robbed it woudnt be as bad as parting with something more expensive.

I was thinking along the lines of maybe a makarov, SxS shotgun. Does anybody else have any ideas?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:31:40 PM EDT
[#1]
SKS
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:32:31 PM EDT
[#2]

CCW
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:32:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Look for a 12 gauge shotgun.  Mossberg or Remingtons are cheap

I will be flamed for this but I will put my life on the line with my Mossberg 500 before my Remington 870.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:34:47 PM EDT
[#4]
i doubt home invaders will give you time to get to a safe.

keep in mind that these guys are armed and they won't hesitate to shoot you.  a couple years back, we had a rash of these things in san antonio.  one of the guys actually shot a 7 year old girl

keep a good, dependable weapon ready.  something with a high magazine capacity is a plus.  don't plan on getting to the safe and opening it up to get another weapon.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:35:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Those are what i keep in the safe, I like makarov idea because i could hide it so just incase if the house was robbed it be less likley to be found
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:36:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Do you have kids to worry about?  If not, just keep your CCW gun around to grab.  That way when you are home, your CCW will be at hand to grab, and when you are not at home, neither will your grab gun.

If you dont have a CCW, I would say get an AK or SKS.  

Another option would be one of Kel Tec's pistol caliber carbines.  They make the SUB 2000 in 9mm and .40, and they take mags from lots of popular models of pistols (Glock, Sig, Beretta, S&W) so you could get it to match your pistol.  The SUB 2000 can be had for >$250 and is compact, inexpensive, and a good time to shoot.

Plus Kel Tec is a great company who is worth supporting.  Ask The Beer Slayer
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:36:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:38:12 PM EDT
[#8]
When I come home, I unlock my gun safe.  When I leave the house, take a shower, or "go behind closed doors" for more than a minute, I lock it again.  I don't have a problem remembering to do this since it is something very important.

Try making a habit of leaving your house/car keys on top of or even inside your gun safe when you come home and unlock it.  That way, you won't get far without remembering to get your keys out of the safe and lock it up!

Also, just carry concealed or un-concealed when at home.  After all, you are in YOUR home.  

Edited to add:  The gun safe is in the room where I spend the majority of my time at home.  It's not on the other side of my home.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:48:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I like the sks idea, i see them around alot  just around 100 dollars

Also I dont have any kids, i still live at home. My dad wants something to grab incase anything bad ever happened and im just trying to come up with suggestions for him,  hed prefer it to be a pistol. I could buy  rifle or shotgun if he wanted but we have been robbed before and he wants it to be hidden so it would be less likley to be stolen.  And im just thinking along the lines of something cheap so it woudlnt be to hard to part with if it were ever stolen.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:50:40 PM EDT
[#10]
The Kel Tec SUB2k can fold up to be 16" long, and will fit in a brief case, desk drawer, and just about anywhere else.  I'd say that would be the #1 choice to go for.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 4:47:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top