Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/6/2002 9:33:34 AM EDT
or "government sponsored" news agency?
When I read news articles from other countries it always mentions that it is the official news agency or newspaper of that country or government. Now, I know we have freedom of the press here but what news agencies are considered, by readers in other countries, our official news organization or newspaper? Is it even written that way in foreign newspapers?
Any of you world travelers seen any reference to a United States official news agency or newspaper?
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 9:44:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 9:54:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Our only "official" news broadcasting facility is Voice of America, which is sent out via short vave radio to most of the world.  It is prohibited by law from broadcasting to the USA, but of course the radio waves don't know that, and you can pick up VOA broadcasts on any decent short wave radio.

Public broadcasting on both radio and TV is partially funded by the federal govt., but it's not government broadcasting in the sense that the brodcast outlets in other parts of the world are. The big difference between us and most everywhere else is that the private sector has always had access to the broadcast bands, while in much of the rest of the world governments have kept control of air waves to themselves.  In recent years,governments in other parts of the world have opened up their broadcasting to the private sector, and in almost every such case, the "government" broadcast outlets have become secondary.  In the UK, for instance, the BBC has become more and more an also ran, since private broadcasting came in some years back.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 9:56:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
or "government sponsored" news agency?
When I read news articles from other countries it always mentions that it is the official news agency or newspaper of that country or government. Now, I know we have freedom of the press here but what news agencies are considered, by readers in other countries, our official news organization or newspaper? Is it even written that way in foreign newspapers?
Any of you world travelers seen any reference to a United States official news agency or newspaper?
View Quote

The US Govt is the largest publisher in the world. They have multiple official pubs. You have to be more specific, what are you interested in? The CSPC sent to me in the mail that where they list all of the devices that were being recalled before it was cut due to budget. I bet if you do a search on a particular subject, you can find the official word from the govt, how about NASA/JPL?
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 10:17:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 10:19:38 AM EDT
[#5]
I was hoping it wouldn't be the New York Times.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 10:27:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 11:01:05 AM EDT
[#7]
In a book named something like The Cult of Inteligence by a Victor somebody,I remember him stating that one of the 3 national tv names was 3 letter agency proprietary. He was restrained by court order from revealing wich. If you read between the lines you would know. This guy was like the number 3 man at the agency. A very good book. He also mentioned that it is within the agency charter to deal drugs or any other illegal commerce to generate funds for ops, as long as the agent does not profit personaly.....
Just membered, Marchetti or something like that is the name.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top