Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 2/17/2002 8:20:50 PM EDT
Cause everything else will look like crap. Just got my TV and STB and can get four HD stations over the air. Picture is such a whole new world, I actually watched part of Touched by an Angel on CBS cause it just looked so damn good. I've been watching the Olympics in HD but it is only day old stuff and seems to be only skating and hockey so far. My favorite part is when they show the flyovers of the mountain, looks like you are looking out a window on a plane. Watched bits of Raiders of the Lost Ark tonite and it looks better that DVD, and you get 5.1 surround over the air as well. Now when I switch back to regular cable it is barely watchable. Can't wait 'till everything is HD. Just wish it wasn't such a long wait.
Link Posted: 2/21/2002 12:34:36 AM EDT
I know what you mean! I was working with HDTV in 1995 right after the FCC approved the standard for the U.S. I was at the NAB (National Association of Broadcasters) convention in Las Vegas and the displays were amazing. I never got paid for the work but got a free trip. A friend (now deceased) and I were developing a non-linear HDTV system at the time (using the DEC Alpha) but the companies funds ran out. We were also trying to get a HDTV camera from Ikegami to use with our system. Not only are the details more noticable but the colors are VERY, VERY consistent. They are the same from unit to unit whereas NTSC (old TV) isn't. BTW we use NTSC and the British invented and use PAL. They say NTSC means [B]N[/B]ever [B]T[/B]wice the [B]S[/B]ame [B]C[/B]olor.... and PAL is [B]P[/B]erfect [B]A[/B]t [B]L[/B]ast.
Link Posted: 2/21/2002 7:46:12 AM EDT
I wouldn't mind getting the HDTV stuff, I saw a demo of it a few years ago at the Texas Fair in Dallas TX, man you can could individual strands of hair on a head, but alas the amount of $$$ is tremendous, especially if you lust for a one of those giant state-of-the-art LCD flat panel displays.
Top Top