Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/18/2002 1:27:48 PM EDT
I recently ran across a reference to Ruby Ridge and Lon Horiuchi while reading, and it occurs to me that we haven't heard from him in a while.  Anybody know what he is up to these days?  Has he retired, or is he still popping people with .308s for the FBI?
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 1:35:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 1:45:41 PM EDT
[#2]
... nothing
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 1:50:18 PM EDT
[#3]
correct !! he is in hiding.......!!

wudn't you, if half a million pissed off gun owners wanted to nail yer butt to the barn door...??

Link Posted: 5/18/2002 1:51:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Last I heard (about 2 years ago), the worthless SOB was retired.  I wouldn't doubt he's in a witness-protection type program, except that the FBI is probably doing a good job of protecting their hitman, not like they do for many others.  It wouldn't surprise me if he's still out there killing civilians and getting paid with our tax dollars to do it.

OK, maybe I'm being too hard on him.  After all, Mrs. Weaver was in fact armed with a military-style assault infant.

[>(][heavy]
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 1:55:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Last I heard he was decorated and found not guilty of any wrong doing.

I am unaware of him retiring or being in any form of protection program.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 1:56:57 PM EDT
[#6]
He posts here regularly under an alias, asking questions about Remington 700PSS's in .308, don'tcha know?  [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 1:59:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 2:02:19 PM EDT
[#8]
[img]http://www.i-mockery.com/Cards/images/card7.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 2:21:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Ooh, that guy makes me mad, and it also makes me mad that he got away with it.  He's a SNIPER, for goodness' sake.  He should know better.  Even a KID should know better.

There are two possibilities:
1)  He made a huge assumption which is that the person coming through the door was the guy he was after
2)  He didn't care - he just wanted to kill someone in that house.

Either one should be enough for a voluntary manslaughter charge.

Oh, but he's FBI.  They are under different laws than we are.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 2:52:32 PM EDT
[#10]
The funny thing is, I read somewhere that he was actually politically conservative, and a fan of Patrick Buchanan (this all happened back in 1992).  This didn't stop him from being a faithful JBT.

Horiuchi should not be forgotten.  However, at the end of the day, he was simply the guy who pulled the trigger.  Equally or more guilty, in my view, are the men who issued the order that any armed adult in the Weaver compound should be taken out, regardless of whether they were posing any threat to anybody.  This was essentially an unconstitutional execution order.  These men were Larry Potts (from FBI headquarters) and Richard Rogers, the commander of the Hostage Rescue Team.  These men have never received any substantial punishment for their participation in murder.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 3:13:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Horiuchi should not be forgotten.  However, at the end of the day, he was simply the guy who pulled the trigger.  Equally or more guilty, in my view, are the men who issued the order that any armed adult in the Weaver compound should be taken out, regardless of whether they were posing any threat to anybody.  This was essentially an unconstitutional execution order.  These men were Larry Potts (from FBI headquarters) and Richard Rogers, the commander of the Hostage Rescue Team.  These men have never received any substantial punishment for their participation in murder.
View Quote

Far from being punished, Larry Potts and Richard Rogers have been promoted. They are now suits and decision makers at the FBI.

Regardless of who gave the order, wHoriuchi should have recognized it for what it was: [b]UNLAWFUL[/b], and therefore not to be obeyed. Does "I was just following orders" sound familiar to anyone else?

I hope wHoriuchi's head exploded and the bone fragments killed his dog.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 3:54:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Last I heard, Lon got a medal, and was an "instructor" at the FBI academy in Quantico......
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 4:07:31 PM EDT
[#13]
He was "just following orders"....like the NAZIs did!
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 4:34:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Even if you take away all the circumstances of him following illegal / immoral orders, the cirsumstances of what happened show him to be completely incompetent as a sniper.  You have to do more than hit the target.  You need to hit the RIGHT target at the RIGHT time and, certainly as a LEO sniper, know when not to take the shot.  He failed all three of these, making him totally incompetent.  Why promote an incompetent sniper?

Politics of course.  Makes the FBI look even more like they believe they did no wrong.

Now here's one for the conspiracy theorists.  Maybe he was told to hit Mrs. Weaver. Perhaps the  FBI thought that the great mental distress this would cause Weaver would be the only way to take him down more easily, or get him to give up before he lost more.  (A VERY flawed tactic), OR MORE LIKELY to get him to go into a raging fit and fire like all hell against the FBI  which would make him look much worse to the public and reduce pressure from the fact that the FBI killed his kid.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Mike
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 4:39:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 5:06:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Last I heard, Lon got a medal, and was an "instructor" at the FBI academy in Quantico......
View Quote

That about jibes with my information.

Who knew Randy Weaver was a decorated Green Beret?
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 10:00:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
There are two possibilities:
1)  He made a huge assumption which is that the person coming through the door was the guy he was after
2)  He didn't care - he just wanted to kill someone in that house.

View Quote

Definitely #2. There were at least 2 other sniper teams present that went on record refusing to follow the updated rules of engagement. Only Horiuchi and his spotter followed orders.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 10:41:32 PM EDT
[#18]
You know, in the Gulf War, the Green Berets and the SAS had their positions comprimised by children.  Some children wandered into their hiding spots.

These soldiers had the option of killing the children, who would certainly rat them out to authorities.  But they couldn't bring themselves to do it.

The result was, they had to fight against regular military forces once the children ran back squealing.  Compare that to the situation at Ruby Ridge.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top