Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/30/2011 2:59:23 PM EDT
What's your preferred method for carrying your CCW reloads?  Just got a decent IWB holster, and am getting tired of "spare mags go in pockets" already.  If you're CCWing, do you carry an IWB mag carrier?  OWB?  One of those bits that slips into a pants pocket?

You DO carry reloads, right?

Also, pictures are good.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:02:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Single reload in the watch pocket in jeans. Back pocket on most other occasions
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:03:29 PM EDT
[#2]
OWB in a Comp-Tac kydex mag pouch.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:03:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Single mag in my front left pocket. Just a habit I guess.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:04:29 PM EDT
[#4]
1911 2 8rd Chips in a leather OWB pouch @ 8 o'clock.. My Glock 21 I carry a single mag in a pouch a friend ( custom saddle maker ) built for me @ 10 o'clock
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:11:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I dont carry reloads.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:13:12 PM EDT
[#6]
One 15rnd mag in my week side pocket.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:16:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I dont carry reloads.

Really??What happens if you have some kind of stoppage?? Or you put your 5/6 round out and he/she /them keep coming?
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:17:49 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I use one of these or a Ripoff double mag pouch.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:18:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I dont carry reloads.

x2
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:20:56 PM EDT
[#10]
A pair of 1911 mags fits nicely in a 5th pocket.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:25:19 PM EDT
[#11]
OWB Comp tac, but Comp Tac has a concealment one now I may try.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:26:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I dont carry reloads.

Really??What happens if you have some kind of stoppage?? Or you put your 5/6 round out and he/she /them keep coming?

What happens if you have two stoppages?  What about a whole mob of determined bad guys and you only brought one reload?

Not trying to be smart but it really is an issue of diminishing returns at some point.  No matter how many reloads/guns you carry you are never 100% covered for every contingency.  So he's covered for 98% of encounters and someone with reloads is covered for 99% of encounters.  Doesn't make reloads a bad idea but everyone picks a different spot on that risk/hassle curve.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:27:56 PM EDT
[#13]
A spare mag weights my jacket pocket to aid in drawing. But is then more difficult to access.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:28:50 PM EDT
[#14]
I carry a spare 1911 mag in a nylon Gerber knife or multitool sheath. I didn't like the IWB method and no one gives this a second glance.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:30:05 PM EDT
[#15]
http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=88

Configure it for horizontal carry and you'll barely know it's there.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:31:02 PM EDT
[#16]
two wilson combat  8rd mags in a double leather  mag holder
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:31:42 PM EDT
[#17]

OWB Mag pouch.  If the bottom shows, nobody ever notices what it is.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:31:56 PM EDT
[#18]
I carry 2 spare Glock 22 mags in a serpa mag carrier and I carry 1 P3AT for my BUG in my right side pocket.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:35:05 PM EDT
[#19]

(but in a nice cordovan)

Or a speed strip with a 442.

To the people who carry their reloads in their pockets, do you practice tactical reloads digging them out of your pockets?

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:35:37 PM EDT
[#20]
My "reload" is another gun, in my weakside front pocket.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:38:38 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm comfortable with 15+1, no need to carry anymore bulk.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:43:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Do not always carry reloads.

Have an old cell phone case that holds two 10 round clips for mini cougar.

Or carry one in my vest pocket, wear a vest most days in the winter for warmth and western dress.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:44:16 PM EDT
[#23]
If I'm carrying my 1911, a spare mag goes in the front, left pocket. I don't bother carrying reloads for my 9mm.  I guess I figure 14-16 rds is adequate for most contingencies.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:48:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I dont carry reloads.

What happens if you have two stoppages?  What about a whole mob of determined bad guys and you only brought one reload?

Not trying to be smart but it really is an issue of diminishing returns at some point.  No matter how many reloads/guns you carry you are never 100% covered for every contingency.  So he's covered for 98% of encounters and someone with reloads is covered for 99% of encounters.  Doesn't make reloads a bad idea but everyone picks a different spot on that risk/hassle curve.

thanks for the answer. i carry 10 rds of 40 in a G23. ive never had a stoppage and if i did, i would clear it and keep on going. what kind of crappy situations are you guys putting yourselves into where you need 2 or 3 mags and a knife and a backup? i purposely stay out of bad neighborhoods, work in the suburbs, live in the country, dont use ATM's and keep my SA high.  ive never even had a situation where i thought it was close to go time.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:57:48 PM EDT
[#25]
15+1 is all you need till SHTF and Murphy comes around with a double feed and when you try and clear it the round turns up and you now have to fix that too.  You always need at least 1 reload.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 4:14:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Horizontally, on the weak side, base plate to the rear, bullets down; in either of these Allied Multi Tool pouches according to which pistol I am carrying.

I carry a single 15 round reload for my usual carry, the full-size .40; and a single 12 round reload for the 9mm compact I carry only occasionally.

The tool pouches work well for me.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 4:28:25 PM EDT
[#27]
In the left thigh pocket of my Carharts. Otherwise in the front left pocket. I had a tailor add a small pocket to fit a magazine when they were working on my slacks. It all depends on what I am doing and where I am going that day.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 4:34:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Speed Strips in my jeans watch pocket when I carry my LCR revolver. Extra mag in pouch built in to my P3AT pocket holster.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 4:38:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Single mag in a OWB belt carry kydex holder from raven concealment.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 4:50:28 PM EDT
[#30]
OWB. either a Comp-Tac or Raven. I used to cc with my shirt tucked in and I  carried one in velcro pouch, like a leatherman holder. but quickly realized that I just couldnt get to them fast enough, and every class i took I used a regular one any way. so I figured screw it,  I will just keep my shirt untucked and use the gear I trained with(thats what your saposed to do any way)
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:23:43 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

To the people who carry their reloads in their pockets, do you practice tactical reloads digging them out of your pockets?

The 1911 mags in the 5th pocket, as I suggested, hardly need to be "found".  Nearly a third of the mag sticks out.  VERY easy to grab.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:29:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I dont carry reloads.

thanks for the answer. i carry 10 rds of 40 in a G23. ive never had a stoppage and if i did, i would clear it and keep on going. what kind of crappy situations are you guys putting yourselves into where you need 2 or 3 mags and a knife and a backup? i purposely stay out of bad neighborhoods, work in the suburbs, live in the country, dont use ATM's and keep my SA high.  ive never even had a situation where i thought it was close to go time.

If you saw the area I am in you would laugh at your coment.. I bet there are more people in your town then are in my county.. I carry extra for stoppages.. Even though I have never had one.. Fate favors the prepared..

I just don't want to die from a lack of shooting back..
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:54:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Bump for today.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:59:56 AM EDT
[#34]
I don't carry re-loads.

I stick with factory ammo.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:06:02 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

This. I prefer their single mag carriers, and a Comp-Tac flashlight holder when that is necessary.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:16:50 AM EDT
[#36]
Two 13 rnd mags in Milt Sparks OWB pouch. Similar to picture but black.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:20:14 AM EDT
[#37]
1) There is a forum for this.  Specifically this.  This entire topic.

2) Don't usually carry reloads.  13 round magazine.

3) When I do:

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:21:13 AM EDT
[#38]
Carry gun is a G17, back-up is a Colt Custom Shop Detective Special, bobbed, hammer, tritium front sight, action job.

On-duty: OWB Vertical DMC, weak-side, 9 o'clock.  Reloads for the back-up go in left rear hip pocket on a speed strip.

Off-duty: OWB Vertical SMC, weak-side, 9 o'clock.  Reloads for the back-up go in left rear hip pocket on a speed strip.

I prefer leather DMCs, since they mold to the body a bit better.  Leather DMC is an old Kramer.  SMC is an old BladeTech.

I carry additional spare reloads in a messenger bag, along with other sundries including a  BOK.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:22:39 AM EDT
[#39]
My G17 mag rides in my rear pocket next to my wallet, weak side.  It feels like it isn't there, and I can get it out quickly, automatically oriented to be placed in the gun.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:23:16 AM EDT
[#40]
Kydex OWB.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:23:33 AM EDT
[#41]
Either one or two OWB kydex mag holders, approximately at 10 or 11o'clock.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:26:43 AM EDT
[#42]
IWB mag carrier on my left side.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:49:07 AM EDT
[#43]
I generally use magazines.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:53:03 AM EDT
[#44]
Bladetech OWB double mag carrier.

It sits a little higher than I prefer, but is the best I have found so far.  Disappears under a tshirt and holds the mags securely.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:59:17 AM EDT
[#45]
I don't use reloads in my carry gun. I do carry (3) extra mags with 180 grain .40 Winchester HP.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:09:12 AM EDT
[#46]
Tried IWB mag carry.  It sucks.

Tried OWB mag carry.  It, also, sucks.

Tried inside-the-pocket mag carry.  Guess what?  Yup, it sucks.  But at least it's a bit more comfortable.

5th pocket?  Good, but it just stabs you in the liver every time you sit down.

Those tacticool 5.11 pants with the mag pocket on the left side?  Good, but the pants are obvious to anyone who knows, and the pocket is made for full-size double stack mags.  My 8-rd. 9mm mags fall down pretty far in the pocket and have to be "squeezed" out from the bottom.  A safety pin on the inside to close some of the pocket off works to correct that.

Tossing a few in the truck console is a nice way to have some mags nearby *somewhere*.  Ditto for diaper bag, etc.

I'm still really unlikely to ever need a spare mag, but I always fit one somewhere when I can.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:25:30 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

same here
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:27:45 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:31:38 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I dont carry reloads.

If you saw the area I am in you would laugh at your coment.. I bet there are more people in your town then are in my county.. I carry extra for stoppages.. Even though I have never had one.. Fate favors the prepared..

Prior Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance, or maybe in regards to this topic, death.

always carry a reload.  Otherwise, why don't you down load your mag to 1 round, "there wont ever be more than one BG,  it will always take one shot to get him, and my gun never bobbles, 1 round is all I will ever need." or better yet leave the gun at home.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:37:44 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I dont carry reloads.

Prior Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance, or maybe in regards to this topic, death.

always carry a reload.  Otherwise, why don't you down load your mag to 1 round, "there wont ever be more than one BG,  it will always take one shot to get him, and my gun never bobbles, 1 round is all I will ever need." or better yet leave the gun at home.

Always carry at least 80 rounds on you.  Otherwise, why not just load your mag to 1 round?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top