Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/11/2005 8:27:25 AM EDT
The MacWorld Expo is just starting now and the rumors are flying again. Yeah, I know, most everybody uses PC's...I've got over a half dozen PC's running at the house and another six at my desk at work. So feel free to start a PC thread.

Back to the 14 million OS X users...what's the guess?

* OS 10.4 (Tiger) and the big file search thingey
* Discount iMac (1+GHz G4 w/o monitor for $499)
* 1GB iPod w/o display and "random" play feature
* Steve Jobs to announce a partnership w/Dell and the next Mac...the G6 will be on a dual core Intel Pentium chip running Windows...ok...j/k.
* There will be no mention of Apple's previous announcement that the G5 will hit 3GHz by the end of 2004
* Some big corporate merger announcement
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:28:57 AM EDT
it's the discout iMac
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:29:41 AM EDT
I am thinking it will be another lifestyle gewgaw announcement.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:31:16 AM EDT
*crosses fingers for the discount iMac*

I want another one so bad.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:32:12 AM EDT
That Macintosh has finally broken the double-digit percentage barrier into the PC market.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:33:52 AM EDT
major:

im still thinking the sub 500.00 mac.

others:
quicktime 7 could turn out to be very big for apple. spotlight integration. major update to mail.

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:34:24 AM EDT
That 10.4 fixes the samba that they broke with 10.3?
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:34:53 AM EDT
A Mac that looks like a computer and not a sex toy?
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:45:14 AM EDT
Single, multi OS Platform with integrated virtual PC settings for Linux, and Windows, all built on a Mac OS.

I can dream right?
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:49:27 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SNorman:
A Mac that looks like a computer and not a sex toy?

??? What kind of sex toys look like Macs?

FREAK!!!
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:04:16 AM EDT
maybe the iBrator.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:14:08 AM EDT

Originally Posted By DzlBenz:
That Macintosh has finally broken the double-digit percentage barrier into the PC market.

I doubt it. Their actual market share has been dropping, in strict numbers of machines sold. they are only doing well because of ipod.

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:23:24 AM EDT
I an only picture a Mac expo as something like a DU convention. Sorry EVERY Apple user I know personally is a die hard lib.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:25:41 AM EDT
Apple will anounce that their market share grew from 3.3% to 3.4 percent of the market.

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:31:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/11/2005 9:33:17 AM EDT by torstin]
imac mini on the way!!!

also iwork, a new suite to replace appleworks. advanced word processing. keynote incorporated as well it sounds.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:32:41 AM EDT
I'm anxiously awaiting the "...one more thing..." from Jobs... So far this MacWorld expo has been a yawner.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:34:17 AM EDT
who woulda thunk it, I work for Macplay!
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:34:23 AM EDT

Originally Posted By WildBoar:
I an only picture a Mac expo as something like a DU convention. Sorry EVERY Apple user I know personally is a die hard lib.

No every one. "Mac" man37 is a die hard conservative.

I happen to enjoy Apple's hardware and software very much. I know Apple's got a liberal stance on things but I could care less. I personally can't stand the PC platform and it would take a lot of adjustment for me to use one daily.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:36:17 AM EDT
Who TF Cares? Macs are irrevelant.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:37:17 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Q3131A:

Then why did you post here?
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:40:03 AM EDT
let me guess

Their OS doesn't crash twice while Gates is dicking with it
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:40:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/11/2005 9:52:12 AM EDT by torstin]
i mac mini -

1.25 ghz g4 256 ram, 40 gb hd, combo, $499, next up is $599 with more hd space

word is the thing is unbelievably small.

update - The Mac mini looks like a 3" tall CD drive. A short cube. All the connections, DVI and VGA. Fits in the palm of your hand. Hook it into your own keyboard and mouse, or Apple's. Comes with Panther and iLife 05. Price point:$499 $599. In stores Jan 22nd.

iPod moving into automotive market. motorola also including iTunes client with certain phones.

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:50:10 AM EDT
I recevied this via email.

-- Apple says it will launch a new 'Mac Mini' computer. It will cost between $499 and $599 according to Reuters. It will be even less compatible with software than current Macs and will be even harder to upgrade, but it will be available in colors making it an unqualified hit with the art and coffee house crowd.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:10:48 AM EDT
Yup, they did it

www.apple.com/macmini/

XPC-type case...very small...and very mainstream-priced. Jobs is going for market share!
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:11:14 AM EDT
/cue the Mac bashing.

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:11:26 AM EDT

Originally Posted By macman37:

Just couldn't resist.

Apple's irrevelance is their own fault. They had a superior product, but wouldn't lease the rights of production in 1983. In fact, they sued anyone that tried to produce a product based upon their technology.

IBM on the other hand didn't own the rights to the processor, Intel did. Therefore, you had the IBM PC Clones be distributed far and wide in the mid 80s. That was the deathblow for Apple.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:15:40 AM EDT
You're right on those points.

They screwed up big time in the early/mid 90s too. But they've improved their products and services immeasurably since those days. Amelio is long gone.

Long live the Mac!
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:16:35 AM EDT
I hope they make an ipod that has an 80 gig drive, supports flac codec, comes in flat black, has microphone in jack with adjustable while recording levels (and records to .wav format), includes a nice docking bay/charger with digital outputs, or at least high quality rca jacks, has a 15 hour battery life (and able to be recharged a few thousand times with no loss in life), with a color display, compact flash card slot for dumping pictures, and a good carrying case ... all for under $400.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:17:47 AM EDT
Man, THAT SHIT IS ILL!

the $499 G4, will be mine.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:35:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/11/2005 10:37:23 AM EDT by AlaskaJohn]

Just couldn't resist.

Apple's irrevelance is their own fault. They had a superior product, but wouldn't lease the rights of production in 1983. In fact, they sued anyone that tried to produce a product based upon their technology.

IBM on the other hand didn't own the rights to the processor, Intel did. Therefore, you had the IBM PC Clones be distributed far and wide in the mid 80s. That was the deathblow for Apple.

So, almost $30B in market cap, and $5B in cash is irrelevant? The quarterly market share reports
are not an accurate measure of Apple's installed base.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:35:53 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Ghostchild:
the $499 G4, will be mine.

I think that's the whole point. Several people I know who don't have Macs have said similar things. People already think Mac=easy=very pricey. But now that pricey-thing is no more, so I think they'll get a good amount of market share.

As a personal opinion, I don't think the Mac-based OS is any easier to a "n00b" than WinXP or Lindows Linspire.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:39:20 AM EDT
$99 iPod (512mb), also $149 iPod (1GB)..kinda self-loading stick of gum.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 11:11:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/11/2005 11:12:46 AM EDT by u352]
Damn the Minimac has just killed my already hurting gun budget! Oh well, 11 days and counting.-JR
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 11:19:33 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 11:49:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/11/2005 11:51:10 AM EDT by 95thFoot]
Macintosh: any "big announcement" =
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 11:52:20 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 11:55:00 AM EDT

Originally Posted By MillerSHO:
MacWorld expo?

Give me a break!

Yes, the rest of the PC computer industry is there to see what products and designs they can steal from Apple.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:02:38 PM EDT
I'm so getting one.

I was really hoping for an iPod that would slip onto a picatinny rail, but I'll take a $499 Mac.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:11:25 PM EDT

Originally Posted By nightstalker:
$99 iPod (512mb), also $149 iPod (1GB)..kinda self-loading stick of gum.

I just bought a 4gig Creative Muvo2 for $150 after $50 rebate, and its rechargable battery is user-replacable.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:13:58 PM EDT

Originally Posted By dport:
I'm so getting one.

I was really hoping for an iPod that would slip onto a picatinny rail, but I'll take a $499 Mac.

Come to think of it.. that new ipod might fit on a Glock accesory rail. It is flash based so it could probably take the recoil.-JR
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:19:08 PM EDT
Looks like Apple was not prepared bandwidth wise by the response, their store crashes.

Oh well.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:23:31 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:37:27 PM EDT
Very cool!
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:46:52 PM EDT
Too late for predictions, I guess.

The new iMac mini looks awesome. I bet it'll be snapped up by people tired of their Windows boxes constantly getting infected with viruses and spyware.

Pages looks interesting too. I wonder how well it will digest the nasty Word documents that I keep getting?
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:59:29 PM EDT

Just couldn't resist.

Apple did not have the exclusive rights to the Motorolla processor in the original Mac. In fact, Mot sold it to anyone that wanted it.

Neither the Intel processor, nor the "licensing" of IBM technology were the keys to the proliferation and dominance of the PC. In fact, the ROM that made the PC what it was, was staunchly guarded by IBM, and they refused to license it to cloners. It took Compaq's reverse engineering of the IBM ROM (and prevailing over the subsequent lawsuit launched by IBM) to make clones possible.

Apple knew that if the Mac ('84, not '83 - that was the Lisa) ROM was licensed, the cloners would be able to undercut Apple in price, just as the clone makers were able to do to IBM. This was more or less demonstrated when Apple belatedly licensed the OS and ROM's to the cloners, which promptly started eating away at Apples already shrinking sales. In fact, just a Jobs had originally predicted, the existence of Mac clones did not expand the market at all, it simply eroded Apples share of that shrinking market.

IBM's response to the now "open" ROM/architecture of the PC was to bring out the PS/2; an attempt to put the genie back in the bottle by creating a new PC architecture that was entirely proprietary, and that had a legal IP portfolio that would make it difficult for cloners to prevail if they successfuly reverse engineered the new platform.

Apple's fall is largely due to managerial incompetence during the Scully/Spindler years after the ousting of Jobs (and many, many other factors), and has little or nothing to do with licensing the OS/ROMs.

-k
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 1:12:37 PM EDT
-- Microsoft announces the retirement of CFO John Connors after he admits to preordering a Mini Mac according to Reuters. Microsoft Vice President of Public Relations, Dick Slapswell, said that Connors was asked to retire after the purchase of the competitor's device was leaked to the public. Slapswell admitted "We're not upset that Mr. Connors placed an order with one of our competitors. We're upset that he showed really poor judgement. I mean really. Who buys a Mac?"
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 1:15:04 PM EDT
I'm very interested in that Mac mini.

It seems it would also be extremely portable. Looks like I'm going to have to get one. That will be my first Mac. I'm mainly a Linux guy now anyways so departure from MS won't be an issue.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 1:16:04 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MillerSHO:
MacWorld expo?

Give me a break!

Yes, the rest of the PC computer industry is there to see what products and designs they can steal from Apple.

Yeah, because after all, who has ever heard of a $499 PC? That Apple, always on the cutting edge.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 1:23:57 PM EDT
I was hoping for the rumored iPhone cell phone, oh well. They have been working with Motorola for quite some time on this, I guess we have to wait.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 2:34:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By kinaed:

Just couldn't resist.

Apple did not have the exclusive rights to the Motorolla processor in the original Mac. In fact, Mot sold it to anyone that wanted it.

Neither the Intel processor, nor the "licensing" of IBM technology were the keys to the proliferation and dominance of the PC. In fact, the ROM that made the PC what it was, was staunchly guarded by IBM, and they refused to license it to cloners. It took Compaq's reverse engineering of the IBM ROM (and prevailing over the subsequent lawsuit launched by IBM) to make clones possible.

Apple knew that if the Mac ('84, not '83 - that was the Lisa) ROM was licensed, the cloners would be able to undercut Apple in price, just as the clone makers were able to do to IBM. This was more or less demonstrated when Apple belatedly licensed the OS and ROM's to the cloners, which promptly started eating away at Apples already shrinking sales. In fact, just a Jobs had originally predicted, the existence of Mac clones did not expand the market at all, it simply eroded Apples share of that shrinking market.

IBM's response to the now "open" ROM/architecture of the PC was to bring out the PS/2; an attempt to put the genie back in the bottle by creating a new PC architecture that was entirely proprietary, and that had a legal IP portfolio that would make it difficult for cloners to prevail if they successfuly reverse engineered the new platform.

Apple's fall is largely due to managerial incompetence during the Scully/Spindler years after the ousting of Jobs (and many, many other factors), and has little or nothing to do with licensing the OS/ROMs.

-k

I've always thought Apple's strength was in their OS/software anyway. Marketing always touts the hardware which is copied/integrated by everybody else in 7 months anyway. But then again, Selling software isn't exactly sexy.

I'm Robbie. And my first Apple was a Black Apple (Bell & Howell).
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 2:48:10 PM EDT
My Dell just ran out of excuses for making my life miserable, and cutting down on my time browsing arfcom. I'm unplugging my keyboard, monitor and mouse from my Dell, and plugging it into my new Mini Mac as soon as it arrives! $499 is inexpensive enough for me to justify a Mac, esp. since it already comes bundled with all that software.

GarageBand ... with 8 channel recording, and annotation, just kicks ass.

I'll just put it on top of the tower case, since all the cabling is already run there.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top