Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/25/2002 2:23:46 PM EDT
I've just recently discovered the world of good cigars, and I'm looking for some suggestions of new ones to try. Dominican cigars are the only ones I really like so far. Lots of people have said they like Arturo Fuentes, but the ones I've tried so far have beem lumpy and don't burn evenly. I'v ehad much better luck with the Maduros and Monte Cristos. Mmmmmm. [smoke]
Link Posted: 10/25/2002 2:35:48 PM EDT
not a cigar but i like Djarum Cloves.
Link Posted: 10/25/2002 2:43:05 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/25/2002 2:52:23 PM EDT
Cuban Cohibas if my canadian friend can get a few. If not I like Macanudos.
Link Posted: 10/25/2002 2:56:51 PM EDT
Rum Runners are pretty good.
Link Posted: 10/25/2002 2:58:42 PM EDT
MONICAS
Link Posted: 10/25/2002 3:03:46 PM EDT
Is that Monica Nudos?? My persoanl preference is Bolivar Habanas.
Link Posted: 10/25/2002 3:07:42 PM EDT
Arture Fuente Hemingway, all sizes, but the Short Story is best. Partagas #10. El Rey Del Mundo Torpedo (very strong.) My best cigar was a Cuban Montechristo Number 2, absolutely fantastic, I enjoyed it on the beach in Stanley Park, Vancouver BC, on a chilly, foggy evening after a seafood dinner. Very smoky and intoxicating, literally. On the whole, though, cubans are overrated and overpriced.
Link Posted: 10/25/2002 3:30:20 PM EDT
Indios Puros........Robusto.............yummy ..think i'll smoke on in the tub!!!!
Link Posted: 10/25/2002 3:31:35 PM EDT
For an everyday smoke in the $2.00 to $5.00 range: - Padron Ambassador or anything Padron makes - Hoja Cubana yellowband corona - Fuente curly heads - Indian Tabac Chief - Punch Champion - Punch Rare Crojo - CAO Gold robusto - Hoyo de Monterrey Excalibur Weekend smoke in the $5.00 to $9.00 range: - El Rey De Mundo, every one I've had is good - Bahia Gold - Fuente Hemingway - CAO Cameroon In the $10-15 range: - Padron Anniversario (simply wonderful!) - Fuente Fuente Opus X (often found overpriced, but what a spicy, strong smoke!) I smoked a few Cubans in Cozumel: Partagas, Romeo y Julieta, Hoyo de Monterrey, Cohiba, Montecristo, and Punch. I liked them all with the exception of the Montecristo. I noticed that there was often a common taste to the Cubans, a very rich, strong, but subtle taste, almost coffee-like. The only non-Cuban that has a hint of this taste is the Punch Crojo, and it's a pale imitation. Even in Cozumel at the Havana Club the Cubans tended to be rather expensive, with the larger sticks going for $10 to $25. Ouch.
Link Posted: 10/25/2002 3:49:28 PM EDT
Try the regular Padron line. Inexpensive and consistently yummy. Also, Arock's suggestion for Habana Bolis ( though they are strong ). S-I
Link Posted: 10/25/2002 4:09:54 PM EDT
Punch Punch DanM
Link Posted: 10/25/2002 4:18:47 PM EDT
Originally Posted By CITADELGRAD87: Arture Fuente Hemingway, all sizes, but the Short Story is best. very true On the whole, though, cubans are overrated and overpriced.
View Quote
CITGRAD is correct on both counts. i would suggest that you try the hoya de nicaragua in the maduro. you will be pleased both in the pallat and wallet. trust me
Link Posted: 10/25/2002 5:46:36 PM EDT
My new favorite is the Partagas Black Label. They are a bit on the pricey side though. I like the Upmann Hamiltons as well. Do yourself a favor and check out [url]www.cigarbid.com[/url] for great deals. It is like ebay for cigars but it is a cigar company that is selling them. You have to give them a CC number before you bid, but that has not been a problem so far and really streamlines the process. I picked up a nice 150 count humidor for about 80 bucks. You can buy cigars by the box or in five packs. A great way to try a bunch of different types. You need to know the retail prices so you don't overbid, but for the most part there are great deals to be had. Luckily both humidors are full now as the cigar buying thing can get a bit addictive. [img]groups.msn.com/_Secure/0MgD4D1ERtqjuemd!NqPR468RneidWafwV9BLMIEB7PDy­iJnBHVTC9NVBhreuBEOjkbZqVmlIEnIdjRam*2hY1g/Cigars4.JPG[/img] [img]groups.msn.com/_Secure/0MgCtElIR4Kjuemd!NqPR4xyTjDtb1y65qaDKxUGwQhVk­GljmDkCTFCDq4lQ3FdgR7Yr7*Y4RuWrAqJjB*iIqqA/Cigars5.JPG[/img] The glass top one is the one I got for $80. BTW, I know there are some who hate the Lars Tetens, but I like them and got them pretty cheap.
Link Posted: 10/25/2002 7:56:17 PM EDT
I'm partial to the Cuban Partagas also. Even in Mexico, you have to go to an upscale shop or they will try and skin you with some rewraped/rebanded ones. Last time, I spent a week in Puerto Vallerta and smoked two every day (along with enough blue agave tequila and mezcales to float a ship) ;)
Link Posted: 10/25/2002 8:19:40 PM EDT
So who here is the Cigar General? I listen to Cigar Dave on the radio sometimes.
Link Posted: 10/25/2002 11:46:19 PM EDT
Wow, a real good list to go through, thanks. [:)] So, other than cigarbid.com, anyone buy their cigars online? Oh, and how are these automatic humidifiers? I think this is the way I want to go... [img]www.cigaroasis.com/images/cigaroasis-1drawing.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 12:26:14 AM EDT
Originally Posted By putie_tang: MONICAS
View Quote
Damn! You beat me to it!! LOL!
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 1:33:42 AM EDT
Ahhh, I like COHIBA, i can only get the dominicans tho, they are not as good as cubans but real damn good $14 each(uhhh). Also Macanudo's are fragrant $8 to $10, (u wont smell bad after). Don Thomas if you get the most expensive one is good, the others suck. Cool post, im gonna save it to a text file. Any tips on a makeshift humidor till I find a real one that I like?
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 2:03:47 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 2:10:36 AM EDT
MONTICRISTO NO.1
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 8:58:07 AM EDT
A lot of people refridgerate their cigars for a couple days when they get them to make sure they kill any bugs before they put them in the humidor. A lot of people use the tupperador or coolerador (ice chest) with make shift humidifiers made from florist sponge, distilled water and propylene glycol. For everything you need to know go to [url]www.cigargroup.com[/url] and check the message boards. They will tell you exactly how to make one.
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 5:56:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/26/2002 5:58:59 PM EDT by gaspain]
here it is! I made it on your recommendations, the humidity is still rising its at 62% and rising. Total cost $36 Rubbermaid thing $4 @safeway Thermo/hydrometer $22 @radioshack humatic $10 @cigar store The best part is I can read the temp/humidity without opening it up. [img]http://hstrial-tt5.homestead.com/files/DSCF0001.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 6:01:34 PM EDT
I like Montecristo #2's
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 6:27:04 PM EDT
Spanish Maid Rum Crooks...smokin' 'em since I was a child. LOL!
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 1:12:22 AM EDT
Where can I get REAL cubans online on in WA state, I know most online vendor are fakes, cubamall.com has them but they are way way out there in price.
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 7:17:59 PM EDT
real cuban's? anyone
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 8:21:33 PM EDT
cohibas... good stuff...if you got a Canadian friend, I've found this is the best way to get ahold of them.
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 8:42:46 PM EDT
Romeo & Juliet's and Punch... R&J's are by far the smoothest cigar I have ever smoked..But then again, I usually smoke Garcia Y Vega's, so anything will be smoother...
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 11:14:10 PM EDT
Originally Posted By gaspain: real cuban's? anyone
View Quote
Check out the cigargroup site I linked in my previous post. They will point you in the right direction.
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 11:21:31 PM EDT
Ya I did Ratters, very cool site but I dont see any Cubanos there. They do have other great cigs too. [):)]
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 11:42:59 PM EDT
gaspain, you got to go to the message boards, that's where most of the info is. If I remember correctly, Spain is supposed to be the best country to buy from as far as reliability and price. Good luck. BTW, you can try these guys: [url]www.cuban-cigars.net/main.html[/url] . Never tried them but they do ship to the good ol' USA.
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 11:54:35 AM EDT
I didn't see any votes for La Gloria Cubana. If I'm looking for an inexpensive but good smoke I pick up a L.G.C. Churchill. I also like the Hoya De Monterey Excalibers. I have enjoyed a Cuban Montecristo No. 2 and a Cuban Cohiba Esplendito. Both excellent smokes, but the price difference can only be justified for very special occasions. Kent
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 12:32:14 PM EDT
Originally Posted By gaspain: Ahhh, I like COHIBA,
View Quote
dude, you dont even know me.
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 12:36:44 PM EDT
I have to agree with 82ndAbn 100%. Dirk
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 1:15:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/29/2002 1:16:36 PM EDT by Fox]
Ah, a fun subject. Ever since this topic came up several months ago I have been experimenting with a large number of brands, wrappers and sizes. Thanks to Ratters, Cohiba, CigarDad and others, I got pointed in the right direction for some good smokes and online purchases as well. There are some great Internet resources for the novice. In the interest of helping other newbies I have found the following helpful. For general information and reviews: [url]www.cigaraficionado.com/[/url] [url]www.cigarweekly.com/[/url] [url]www.smokemag.com/[/url] For online purchasing in box quantities: [url]bythebox.com/index.html[/url] [url]www.famous-smoke.com/fsr/index.cfm[/url] and these for singles or five-packs: [url]www.netcigar.com/[/url] [url]www.cigarexpress.com/[/url] [url]www.phoenixcigar.com/[/url] I have personally used all of the sites listed above and have had excellent service from all. ByTheBox has some of the best prices for Padron cigars that I have ever found. Being close to the Canadian border I have had access to Cubans as well and have found them to be highly overrated and overpriced. There are some excellent Latin American cigars and pricing on the Internet can be superb. Spend a little extra for the shipping and small quantities at first and buy singles and five-packs until you know what you like. It will save you money in the long run. I have discovered that I like the Maduro wrappers much more than the Natural, Claro or others. I have found the following to be superb cigars: Arturo Fuente Selection Privada #1 Maduro Arturo Fuente Churchill Maduro Arturo Fuente Corona Imperial Maduro La Gloria Cubana Churchill Maduro La Gloria Cubana Gloria Maduro La Gloria Cubana Wavell Maduro Padron Churchill Natural Partagas #10 Maduro Puros Indios Maxima Reserve Media Corona Punch Deluxe Corona Maduro Punch Royal Cafe Maduro Punch Grand Cru #2 Reserva Maduro (Yummy!) And for you Macanudo lovers I have a question. I have tried about a dozen Macs in different styles with different wrappers. While they taste pretty good, every single one was wrapped too tight and I needed a vacuum cleaner to smoke it. Is this a common problem with Macanudo? I finally gave up on the brand altogether. The ones I tried came from several vendors in different parts of the country, all with the same problem.
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 2:49:03 PM EDT
Joya de Nicaragua.
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 3:08:23 PM EDT
[url]absolutecigars.com[/url] This place will ship, but wont guarantee arrival of Cubans. Never ordered from them however.
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 3:56:48 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 4:04:18 PM EDT
Tetens are tough shit... Punch is always great i find AVO's tastey though.... but too friggin pricey
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 4:42:17 PM EDT
Originally Posted By 82ndAbn: Partagas (various sizes). You are missing out if you skip over this one. I like the Cuban made over the Dominican. But there isn't a huge difference.
View Quote
What is with you paratroopers?!? I managed a Tinder Box after I got out in 92 for a couple of years. Partagas were and still are my favorite. I alsk like real H. upmann, and Romeo y Julietta. I used to smoke A. Fuente a lot, but lately, they don't seem up to par. Prior to the Hurricane (hugo) Royal Jamaca Maduro was my favorite. After the Hurricane, they had to start making them in Dom Rip, and they are still great, but not the same. Hooah
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 4:51:43 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Fox: And for you Macanudo lovers I have a question. I have tried about a dozen Macs in different styles with different wrappers. While they taste pretty good, every single one was wrapped too tight and I needed a vacuum cleaner to smoke it. Is this a common problem with Macanudo? I finally gave up on the brand altogether. The ones I tried came from several vendors in different parts of the country, all with the same problem.
View Quote
When I worked at the Box, we referred to them as "cigars for people who don't like cigars" I'm happy to claim that I've been selling and smoking cigars since before the yuppies thought it was cool.
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 5:03:33 PM EDT
Any cigar given to me by TxLewis. Thanks...
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 5:06:48 PM EDT
AVO# 2 or 3...
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 5:12:30 PM EDT
I dig the Cohiba. My friend from Atlanta introduced me to them while I was down there for the Final Four. Now I'm hooked!
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 5:20:23 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Sharkman: I dig the Cohiba. My friend from Atlanta introduced me to them while I was down there for the Final Four. Now I'm hooked!
View Quote
You weren't one of those goobers hanging around CNN center trying to buy tickets, were you? Ruined every single one of my smoke breaks. [:(!]
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 6:33:04 PM EDT
Woo HOO!!! look what I just got! "Gurkha 1950 Pre-Embargo Estate Cuban Robusto (5-Pack)" An extremely limited long-filler cigar made with pre-embargo Cuban tobaccos. This is the one you´ve probably read or heard about. Made from 100% pre-embargo, pre-Castro, pre-communist long-fillers purchased at auction. The vintage 1950 Cuban fillers are draped in a dark, rich Connecticut broadleaf wrapper. One of the most rare and expensive cigars that can be had. Full-bodied, with a robust and spicy character - and gorgeous packaging, each cigar has a traditional shaggy foot. I cant wait till it gets here!
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 6:46:25 PM EDT
Cuban Cohibas when I can get them. Only Cigar where I can really tell the difference in Cuban vs non, but that may just be me. My all time favorites are Maker's Mark reserve (Yes, the Bourbon Company), Nice full flavored Dominican, cured with, but not in, Maker's Mark. Absoulutely Awsome IMNSHO Pit
Top Top