Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/18/2006 6:47:27 AM EDT
I've noticed quite a few threads on machine guns lately here in general discussion and am wondering why. I remember when I first joined this place, mentioning the repeal of the '86 ban would at the minimum get you laughed at and at the most get you scolded, especially by some of the NFA guys. Now it looks like people are actually disgusted at the fact that the ban is what it is and some good posts are being written about it. Is this finally the start of a movement to get the stupid ban repealed and our rights back, or is it just mere daydreaming? Inquiring minds want to know.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:50:25 AM EDT
[#1]
May be some increased interest, and maybe some optimism, due to the fact that Michigan has recently allowed the purchase of non-C&R NFA items.  It's not often that you get to see the pendulum swing that way.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:50:39 AM EDT
[#2]
you are dreaming.  There is no such (effective) movement.  Do you realize how that would fly in congress?

We would not even have the majority of the pro-grun lobby on our side.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:51:12 AM EDT
[#3]
A lot of it has to do with Alito being nominated as SCOTUS. With his opinions on the machinegun ban being unconstitutional it brings back the fight in people. While he did say it was un-constitutional for them to ban them in the manner it is currently done, it frightens me that he says "There are other ways to enforce the ban, just this one is unconstitutional"
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:53:52 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
you are dreaming.  There is no such (effective) movement.  Do you realize how that would fly in congress?

I asked a question sir and I am not dreaming. You are the perfect example of how the machine gun threads got mocked at by some of the members here and basically tossed to the side.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:57:49 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I asked a question sir and I am not dreaming. You are the perfect example of how the machine gun threads got mocked at by some of the members here.

You asked a question :

Is this finally the start of a movement to get the stupid ban repealed and our rights back, or is it just mere daydreaming?

and I answered it. I'm not mocking you or this thread.  But you are daydreaming if you think the '86 mg ban has a snowball's chance in Iraq of being repealed.

Why do I say this?  Because our OWN lobby will never push congress to do this.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:01:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Because people are starting to wake up and realize that there it is fucking rediculous to pay 13,000 dollars for a registered M16 reciever, while a stripped AR15 reciever is only 85 dollars.

Here is my idea of a very plausible NFA reform - elminate suppressors, SBR, and SBS from the NFA, as well as a foregrip on a pistol for an AOW.

Not as much of a hard sell as MGs, one would think.
Once we make SBR/SBS/mufflers totally unregulated, then we go about getting MGs made for civie production again.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:16:00 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I asked a question sir and I am not dreaming. You are the perfect example of how the machine gun threads got mocked at by some of the members here.

You asked a question :

Is this finally the start of a movement to get the stupid ban repealed and our rights back, or is it just mere daydreaming?

and I answered it. I'm not mocking you or this thread.  But you are daydreaming if you think the '86 mg ban has a snowball's chance in Iraq of being repealed.

Why do I say this?  Because our OWN lobby will never push congress to do this.

OK, fair enough. But the lobby that you speak of, I'm thinking the NRA, isn't really representative of a lot of gunowners and its membership is only around 5-6 million people so pretty much they are ineffective for the time being. But like others have said, the SC will be involved with this issue down the road, so do we really need a bloated gun lobby to repeal the '86 ban or just a descent lawyer with the financial backing of gunowners that want the ban repealed?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:28:26 AM EDT
[#8]

You find a lawyer and I'll start the fund
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:29:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:30:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Even with Alito the current supreme court would probably refuse to hear the case.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:32:21 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Even with Alito the current supreme court would probably refuse to hear the case.

I'm just waiting for the United States to disolve like Rome did.. then I'll have a MG.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:33:56 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I had an effective movement just this morning.

Didn't you hear, by  the way? Congress is being run like a plantation. You know what i'm talking about.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:35:11 AM EDT
[#13]
The movment has already started, yer late!
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:36:00 AM EDT
[#14]
It's nothing more than people day dreaming on the internet. The US government is never going to allow Americans to purchase new machine again.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:44:58 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I'm a supporter of the 86 Ban on the grounds that I would be pushing a shopping cart and selling aluminum cans to feed my habit if the damn thing was repealed.

Dude, don't inflict your poverty stricken ways on the rest of us.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:46:56 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Do you realize how that would fly in congress?

Really? You may want to tell that to Rep. Ryan(R-WI) who has already said that he was interested in meeting to discuss just that sometime this year. Not just a meeting either mind you, but a range session as well. All I have to do is get back to him with prospective dates, which I should have ironed out at the end of Febuary(got a few people left to talk to).

Ya know what peaked his interest in this? Believe it or not the crime statistics dealing with NFA weapons. He actually sent me a letter back requesting any additional info I had on crimes commited with privetly held registered NFA weapons vs illegaly converted MGs/non registered(hence not leagl) MGs.

I think if presented right we can get some backing in congress to at least get things moving along. Will it change overnight, hell no but it's a start.

To clarify too I'm not talking about getting rid of the NFA as is, just the 86mg ban at this point. I'd also like to see the sporting purposes clauses taken out of all firearms laws, and the 89 import ban removed and the GCA 68 gone as well. It's all got to start somewhere and with someone.......
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:22:37 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
May be some increased interest, and maybe some optimism, due to the fact that Michigan has recently allowed the purchase of non-C&R NFA items.  It's not often that you get to see the pendulum swing that way.

This was the work of a single ARFCOM member (Bustoff), a lawyer friend of his, and their Representative. The Rep petitioned the state AG for clarification on the existing law, and his opinion was that the state of MI shouldn't be in the business of controlling NFA items, and that federal controls were good enough for him. Still haven't heard on it from NFA branch and the state police are trying to meddle in it.

Dave
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top