Warning

 

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 5/30/2003 1:17:21 PM EDT
The Liberals seem to be complaining a lot about the use of Depleted Uranium in munitions and armor, saying it's toxic or radioactive or something. Isn't it Depleted because the radioactive U238 was filtered out, leaving only the inert U235? (I might have the isotopes wrong, but you get the idea) Any nukes or Army guys out there: Is this stuff actually dangerous, or is this just more Liberal BS being spouted?
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 1:23:30 PM EDT
when a DU round strikes a hardend target, some of it vaporizes and then cools to DU dust. It is not radioactive but, uranium is still one of the most toxic substances in existance. Breathe it and you will get cancer......in about 5 minutes.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 1:23:45 PM EDT
[url]http://www.gulflink.osd.mil/faq_17apr.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 1:33:49 PM EDT
It is very dangerous. I've heard it falls out of the sky at a velocity of over 3000 feet per second. For some reason it seems to fall most commonly in areas around Muslim tank crews. There is a weather phenomenon, low small green clouds that move at speeds approaching 350 knots, that usually happens prior to these depleted uranium occurrences. Scientists recommend umbrellas for safety.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 1:50:04 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 1:52:07 PM EDT
It's a heavy metal so in large doses it can be toxic. You need to take reasonable precautions like not eating it and wearing protective clothing when you're around a lot of the vaporized stuff, as you might be when repairing the interior of a tank hit by a DU round. But some US soldiers were in tanks hit by the stuff in friendly fire incidents in the first Gulf War. They've got particles of the stuff embedded in their body. Their health is normal. Study after study has shown no problem.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 2:02:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/30/2003 2:04:32 PM EDT by Delta_3_63]
Bad JuJu. Muy toxic and once it's in ya it's hard to get rid of.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 2:13:41 PM EDT
Originally Posted By mace: The Liberals seem to be complaining a lot about the use of Depleted Uranium in munitions and armor, saying it's toxic or radioactive or something. Isn't it Depleted because the radioactive U238 was filtered out, leaving only the inert U235? (I might have the isotopes wrong, but you get the idea) Any nukes or Army guys out there: Is this stuff actually dangerous, or is this just more Liberal BS being spouted?
View Quote
Depleted uranium consists of approx 99.75% U-238, 0.002495%, U-235, and 0.000005% U-234. It is a low level radioactive material and is primarily an alpha emitter which is dangerous when inhaled. Although it may not be particularly dangerous when compared to a lot of other radioactive materials, the less you get in your body, the better. The heavy metal poisoning would be more of a hazard than the radioactive.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 2:13:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/31/2003 12:16:16 AM EDT by RAMBOSKY]
I am having a serious problem with Depleted Moneyium. Seems that my weapons hobby is the cause. I now glow in the dark. [8D]
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 2:24:58 PM EDT
Realistically the health concerns of this stuff are pretty minimal. For a start U238 dust.particles are super heavy compared to air and will rapidly fall to the ground. So unless you are licking it off the ground somewhere you are generally safe. Also someone mentioned it was an alpha emmiter, which means unless you ingest it you are going to be safe. Now if you happen to be sitting in a tank that gets hit with some DU penetrator I think that you have other problems than the leftover dust from the penetrator....
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 2:31:39 PM EDT
Boy, watching the Centcom press conferences in Qatar was very vexing to me. Know why? Because all the sophisticated European journalists had no questions about the dastardly tactics of Saddam's troops (false surrenders, using ambulances for transportation, wearing civilian clothes). No no no. They wanted to know about depleted uranium munitions and whether the Pentatgon realized they caused cancer in civilians.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 4:52:31 PM EDT
Originally Posted By mace: The Liberals seem to be complaining a lot about the use of Depleted Uranium in munitions and armor, saying it's toxic or radioactive or something. Isn't it Depleted because the radioactive U238 was filtered out, leaving only the inert U235? (I might have the isotopes wrong, but you get the idea) Any nukes or Army guys out there: Is this stuff actually dangerous, or is this just more Liberal BS being spouted?
View Quote
Mace, you DO have it backwards. U235 is the stuff that go BOOM and make you glow in the dark. U238 is the stuff that is relatively inert. It can, however, be turned into Plutonium. Which is meaner than U235.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 5:59:11 PM EDT
DU makes a great anti-tank round... about twice as dense as lead, and about as hard as steel. WHAM!!! But the dust IS a heavy metal, and IS poisonous. Some have theorized that DU dust is partly to blame for Gulf War Syndrome. However, many oilfield service personel who were active in putting out the fires after the Gulf War still suffer from various illnesses. So, who knows? But it really kicks ass on enemy tanks!!!
Top Top