Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2006 7:07:03 AM EDT
I have noticed quite a few Latinos speaking with a Mexican, Cuban, Puerto Rican, etc. accent, even though they are 2nd or 3rd generation Americans. In many cases, even other members of their families don't use the accent.

Just curious.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:08:53 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I have noticed quite a few Latinos speaking with a Mexican, Cuban, Puerto Rican, etc. accent, even though they are 2nd or 3rd generation Americans. In many cases, even other members of their families don't use the accent.

Just curious.

Dunno.

Ask the pseudo-Gotti jersey emo boys why they talk the way they do, also.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:14:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:15:54 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just curious.

Dunno.

Ask the pseudo-Gotti jersey emo boys why they talk the way they do, also.

Still traumatized from yesterday?

SBG
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:16:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Wha' choo tawkin' 'bout esse?  don' make me gum ova' der.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:16:53 AM EDT
[#5]
And WTF's up with urban white punks that speak the same way. That I could never figure out.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:17:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Probably for the same reason white kids emulate black language. Why do gay men acquire a 'feminine' accent when they didn't have one to begin with? It's about identity.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:43:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Why do you axe this question?  

TC

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:46:31 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Cause its cool....I sometimes speak with a French accent.

I will forever read your posts with a french accent.....
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:52:21 AM EDT
[#9]
I've always thought that was weird too. My girlfriend doesn't do that, nor should she since she was born here, her parents were born here and so were their parents.

I guess it's cool to be as far away from "White" as possible, so by talking that way everyone will know that you are definetely not white.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:56:12 AM EDT
[#10]
What I think is even worse is when an American news anchor speaks normally UNTIL he or she comes to a foreign name, then has to try to put an ethnic flair into the pronunciation, often mangling it horribly in the process.

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:22:43 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
What I think is even worse is when an American news anchor speaks normally UNTIL he or she comes to a foreign name, then has to try to put an ethnic flair into the pronunciation, often mangling it horribly in the process.

"...Nicarrrrrrrragua..."
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:26:46 AM EDT
[#12]

When I speak english, I do so with a fake American accent.  

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:28:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Because there are alot of stupid chicks who thinks this is sexy.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:28:11 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

What's really funny is it's only on hispanic words.  You never hear them say "spaghetti" "lasagna" with an Italian accent.  It would be hilarious if every word that had a different backround was said with the accent of it's history.

Cheers
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:34:21 AM EDT
[#15]
A perfect example is "J lo".  Speaks with a fairly pronounced PR accent.

I heard her sister on Stern, she speaks PERFECT unaccented English.

"splain that one to me.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:34:35 AM EDT
[#16]
The right accent can get you laid.

Aussie, cheesy russian, french or italian will all probably work on US chicks.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:35:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:40:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Whenever I do use an accent, I generally pick "The Swedish Chef"
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:43:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Henry Kissinger fakes a German accent, yet his brother sounds like any other American.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:22:40 PM EDT
[#20]
I dunno about the fake accents, but having traveled quite a bit, and having had 97 Texans in my company at boot, all it takes is for me to run into someone with one of three or four recognizable accents and I fall right into them.

It's not intentional, just happens.

Surprised the hell out of myself when I got a Kentucky Sheriff on the phone a couple years ago, trying to deal with a deal gone bad, and found myself drawling.

The goods showed up two days later. The charge, by the way, is "theft by deception"
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:26:57 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"...Nicarrrrrrrragua..."

I absolutley hate that.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:37:14 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's really funny is it's only on hispanic words.  You never hear them say "spaghetti" "lasagna" with an Italian accent.  It would be hilarious if every word that had a different backround was said with the accent of it's history.

Cheers

SO TRUE!!!!
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:47:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 2:00:01 PM EDT
[#24]
I have a friend that speaks with a mexican accent even though he is American. His parents are from Mexico and had the accent when they taught him english. He doesn't even speak spanish, so it's funny watching the mexicans try to talk to him
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 2:05:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Becawse eet's keuel.  Aieh sahm-tiahmes speek weeth eh fwreuunch accennt.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 2:10:47 PM EDT
[#26]
It's fun.

One of the easiest ways to annoy people is for my sister and I both to don the Minnesota accent and talk back and forth.  I swear, it makes people's ears bleed.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 2:14:27 PM EDT
[#27]
I have no idea what you're talking aboot.  Take off, hoser ...eh?  

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 2:14:47 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
It's fun.

One of the easiest ways to annoy people is for my sister and I both to don the Minnesota accent and talk back and forth.  I swear, it makes people's ears bleed.

What does that sound like?  I don't know if I'm familiar with that accent.  Is it like a Canuck accent?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 2:15:54 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It's fun.

What does that sound like?  I don't know if I'm familiar with that accent.  Is it like a Canuck accent?

watch "Fargo"
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 2:16:47 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It's fun.

Similar, with the long O's.  "Oh gash, oh crayp.  I grew up on a cheese fahrm there now, doncha knoow."
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 2:19:41 PM EDT
[#31]
to stay true to their culture.  I married into a mexican family.  My wife never talked or talks with such an accent, but some in her family are big on that (staying true).  But they're also not very successful in life.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:28:29 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
It's fun.

Similar, with the long O's.  "Oh gash, oh crayp.  I grew up on a cheese fahrm there now, doncha knoow."

Rent a movie called "Drop Dead Gorgeous", but be warned your ears will be bleeding within about 5 minutes.

SBG
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:14:52 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
It's fun.

Oh yeah, there it is.  *shudders*

At least the Canuck accent sounds funny.  That was half of why Strange Brew was so good.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:17:18 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

So do I and I'm getting quite good at it.
Although, after a few drinks more "eh" and other colloquialisms come out and the American accent slips a little.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:19:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Shit, I'm hispanic and I sound like a redneck.

Its awesome.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:25:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Frommy experience and I deal with hispanic peope everyday, ones that dont speak english to well, if I speak in my normal voice they dont understand me. If I use their english and say it with a screwed up accent they understand me.  so I guess I am guilty of speaking with a fake accent,  only 40% comprende mi espanol
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:39:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Learned a pretty decent British accent (not sure which type) from watching A LOT of Mony Python.

Had some Russian down pretty good when I was studying Russian.  (Helps a ton on pronunciation)

When I get drunk, I sometimes put on a Scottish accent just for fun.  Still working on the Irish since I always seem to overdo it and drop into Scottish.  Figure nothing goes with drinking like a Scotch or Irish accent.  Before any Scots or Irish types get offended, I am part Scotch and Irish.  Doesn't bother me.

At some point I may try my hand at the Gypsy or slang as portrayed in "Snatch".  Listening to that is a riot!

I'm also part Dago too...
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:44:58 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
It's fun.

watch "Fargo"

Hey there,  I'm from Minneso-da and all you other folks talk funny, not us!

Seriously we have a strong accent, especially up in the northern part.  It's more similar to a UP (Michigan) accent than to a canuck.  Most of the canuck I know always tried to sound British, but just ended up sounding constipated.

And we don't talk like them hollyweirdos on fucking FARGO!  God I hate it when people assume that!  It's like accusing all new yorkers of sounding like Archie Bunker!  lol
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:45:58 PM EDT
[#39]
My ultimate pet peeve is a false British accent.  Most people use it are arrogant fuckwads who want to appear "witty" or intellectual...

ETA:  I mean this in the context of people who seriously try to come off as British-sounding, not people who do it for fun, like Mike Myers, etc..
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:50:44 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

What're you talking about? Americans don't have accents!
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:51:02 PM EDT
[#41]
I speak Jive fluently. I guess that could be considered an accent.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:34:41 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Rent a movie called "Drop Dead Gorgeous", but be warned your ears will be bleeding within about 5 minutes.

SBG

Funny you say that, since it's my favorite movie.  No joke.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:08:53 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Just curious.

It is usually because you end up picking up the accents of the people you hang around with. This is not always the case, but it happens. A friend of mine who ended up getting stationed in the Army in North Carolina came home on leave talking like he was born there or something.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top