Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/16/2009 10:14:53 PM EDT
What's the word on the SR-556? is it a gimmick waiting for a recall, or is it good to go? If zombies with flame-throwers invade, would you feel comfotable with it?
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:19:45 PM EDT
[#1]
It's a solid rifle.

Too bad they don't make one in 6.8 SPC.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:21:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I worry about the recall thing with their past history with semi-auto weapons (save the 10-22)

However, I did handle one the other day.  I was rather unimpressed with the feel, although it did look decent.  The action, even after being well oiled, seemed gritty and rough (compared to my AR's).  There was also some play between the receivers, which I think is unacceptable on an AR bought as a "complete rifle".  The whole thing just seemed a bit 'subpar'.  I did not get to shoot it, though, so take that for what you will.

YMMV.  Enjoy.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:21:39 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

It's a solid rifle.

Have you shot one?  I'm curious how they really do.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:22:34 PM EDT
[#4]
It's made with outsourced parts, so it really is a rifle and not a mini caliber shotgun.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:24:01 PM EDT
[#5]
No, I would not feel comfortable with it.

I'll stick with my dirty DI guns.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:24:32 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

It's made with outsourced parts, so it really is a rifle and not a mini caliber shotgun.

wait...what?

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:29:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Accuracy was comparable to my LWRC M6A2.  No malfunctions in ~200 rounds of shooting with Lake City ammo.

Fit & Finish isn't as nice as the LWRC, but I like the piston design and the chromed  bcg.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:34:41 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

wait...what?

um, yeah, wut?

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:43:19 PM EDT
[#9]
I have sold boat loads of them with no complaints

the rifle looks good and comes with a nice case and magpuls

It is a bit heavy though
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:45:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Hit and miss with extracting steel cased, 2 lbs too heavy.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:46:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

wait...what?  

um, yeah, wut?

I think he means that ruger didnt make it, therefore its more accurate than a mini, which patterns like a shotgun.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:49:48 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

wait...what?

um, yeah, wut?

I think he means that ruger didnt make it, therefore its more accurate than a mini, which patterns like a shotgun.

Hee hee hee!!!!

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:51:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I worry about the recall thing with their past history with semi-auto weapons (save the 10-22)

However, I did handle one the other day.  I was rather unimpressed with the feel, although it did look decent.  The action, even after being well oiled, seemed gritty and rough (compared to my AR's).  There was also some play between the receivers, which I think is unacceptable on an AR bought as a "complete rifle".  The whole thing just seemed a bit 'subpar'.  I did not get to shoot it, though, so take that for what you will.

YMMV.  Enjoy.

here's a thought unless you have shot it dont comment on how it shoots... just saying... and most ar's and hell every M-16 i have handled while i was in the army had some play in between the receivers so in my opinion why comment unless you have actually USED it... just saying
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:30:39 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

wait...what?

um, yeah, wut?

Hee hee hee!!!!

I was expecting a pic like this:

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:33:20 AM EDT
[#15]
why wouldn't you feel comfortable with it?  

Quoted:

No, I would not feel comfortable with it.

I'll stick with my dirty DI guns.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:19:45 AM EDT
[#16]
A counter guy at Virginia Arms told me that they tested it and would not recomend it because of jamming issues.
For what it's worth.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:42:28 AM EDT
[#17]
It gets good reviews here.

I'll take one review here over any amount of gun shop gossip.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:45:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Being a Ruger I would expect it not to be tight, but to function 100%.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:47:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Bill Ruger = anti gun gunmaker.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:49:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Have not shot one, only handled a few and other than the fact it has a gas piston and the rail forarm is attached with rollpins it seems like a solid rifle. Ran into a guy at the range with one, he had put about 1k of mostly his reloads through it and he was impressed with the accuracy.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:51:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Bill Ruger = deceased

(I didn't buy my first Ruger 'til he was gone.)
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:53:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:54:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

wait...what?  

um, yeah, wut?

how the f did you translate that?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:55:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bill Ruger = deceased

His is deceased, yes. But he was a huge advocate of civilians NOT owning "assault weapons" and "high capacity magazines"

Like I said, Bill Ruger was an anti-gun gunmaker.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:05:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:06:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Proprietary piston system.  Can't get spare parts instead have to send rifle back to fix a problem/broken part.

No Thanks.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:07:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bill Ruger = deceased

His is deceased, yes. But he was a huge advocate of civilians NOT owning "assault weapons" and "high capacity magazines"

And Mercedes made automobiles for the Nazis... what the fuck does that have to do with the company TODAY?

Well played.

1/9 twist = FAIL

Should have gone 1/8 or 1/7.  Some of us like 75 grain
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:08:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:10:13 AM EDT
[#29]
My friend's rifle has a 1-9 twist and he can shoot the 75gr Hornaday just fine. It depends on he gun. I picked up a SR-556 and it looked really well made. I would just worry about the carrier tilt issue.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:45:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bill Ruger = deceased

And Mercedes made automobiles for the Nazis... what the fuck does that have to do with the company TODAY?

Dude, did you disappear for a while?

And I'm sure there is some offspring of Bill Ruger getting in the way over at Ruger in some type of useless management position collecting off a trust fund that his liberal Daddy set up.

And I wouldn't buy a Mercedes either. That's an old woman with bad skin who dresses too young for her age's car.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:46:33 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bill Ruger = deceased

Well played.

1/9 twist = FAIL

Should have gone 1/8 or 1/7.  Some of us like 75 grain

1/9 will stabilize 75gr easily.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:14:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:35:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bill Ruger = deceased

Dude, did you disappear for a while?

And I'm sure there is some offspring of Bill Ruger getting in the way over at Ruger in some type of useless management position collecting off a trust fund that his liberal Daddy set up.

And I wouldn't buy a Mercedes either. That's an old woman with bad skin who dresses too young for her age's car.

Yeah I was kind of scarce for awhile dealing with family shit.

Yeah me too, working like a dog. Now I have nothing better to do than bitch about Ruger
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:17:12 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
It's a solid rifle.

+1

I was fondling one at the gun shop recently.  The guys at the shop had taken the first one they got out to the range and said it ran great and was very accurate.  It has some nice accessories and comes with Pmags.  Its just a bit on the expensive side.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:17:45 AM EDT
[#35]
I am not convinced the extra cost of the Ruger is worth it to solve a problem I am not having. (If I didn't already have several) I could buy a nice DI rifle and a lot of spare parts and cleaning tools for the cost of the Ruger.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:28:12 AM EDT
[#36]
I added one to my collection of colt,bushmaster and adco arms. I really like the ruger only downside is the weight but I have shot about 2.500 rounds through it with no problems.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:54:28 AM EDT
[#37]
fixed a problem that didn't exist.  clean your DI gun properly and treat it as the precision tool that it is
if you want a dirty tool go for an ak47
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:55:48 AM EDT
[#38]
I'll pass on any of the piston AR's.  Some of them are nice, but I like the original DI system just fine.

I just recently put together these two very nice DI carbines, for just a hair under $2000, total:

As for 6.8 SPC, I'll be quick to turn this same trick again, as soon as Bravo Company offers 6.8 M4 uppers and BCG's.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:56:48 AM EDT
[#39]
Meh....I'll pass.

Probably a decent rifle, but I just can't get excited about an AR that someone else spec'ed out. I'll stick with building my own.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:16:46 AM EDT
[#40]
Costs too much.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:53:58 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Costs too much.

It's the cheapest piston gun out there...
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:56:32 AM EDT
[#42]
Haven't shot one, but I have handled them.  I like the OEM iron sights.  It's a bit heavy in the muzzle.  This is because of the piston system and it has a heavier barrel than M4 profile, or at least it appears to.  It seemed solid enough, but I prefer the better balance and weight of DI in an AR-15.  Your mileage may, of course, vary greatly.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:57:54 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Bill Ruger = dead and buried
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:59:49 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bill Ruger = deceased

The current Ruger is not anti-gun.  Otherwise, they woudn't be selling an AR-15 that comes complete with 3 30 round PMAGs.  They also wouldn't be selling 20 and 30 round factory Mini-14 magazines.  Or selling an evil black version of the Mini-14.  Or selling hi capacity handguns.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:01:00 AM EDT
[#45]
Its a Ruger...nuff said. I'll stick to my frankenguns
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:02:03 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

wait...what?

um, yeah, wut?

No it doesn't.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:04:59 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

wait...what?

um, yeah, wut?

No it doesn't.

Some of the older Minis that had pressed on front sights had some serious problems.  Some Minis also tend to string shots vertically when the barrel gets hot.

However, the newer models are much more accurate and dependable as ever.  Mine will shoot 2.5 MOA all the day long with most factory ammo.  I use it as a predator calling gun.  I find the use of magnified optics feels more natural on a Mini than an AR.  For AR-15s, I like either irons or some kind of red dot / holosight.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:06:02 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
It gets good reviews here.
I'll take one review here over any amount of gun shop gossip.

Many of the reviews I read here say the reviewer's rifle won't extract steel cased reliably.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:08:54 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Bill Ruger = DEAD anti gun gunmaker.

Fix it for you.  Bill has been dead for a while, and the Ruger family is not controlling the company anymore.  Hence why we are seeing Hi-Cap mags, CCW orientated handguns, and AfuckingR-15 based rifles.

I'm known for the grudges I will hold at the drop of a hat, but you Ruger Haters....sheesh.  Do you feel the same way towards S&W when they had the Clinton deal?  How about HK's fairly obvious anti-civilian gun owner's stance?

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:14:21 AM EDT
[#50]
Well it sounds like due to the extra weight and cost of the rifle, the general concensus here is to pass.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top