Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2004 7:34:51 PM EDT
I was messing around with the trigger on my .357 snubbie in the basement while loaded and I thought I let the hammer down soft enough.
The gun went off!!!! Those little puppies are loud and scary when your not expecting it. I luckily didn't shoot myself. A old 12V power supply was the only injury
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:35:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Dumbass

When I fired a Swedish mauser in 6.5x55 inside the house, at least it was deliberate
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:36:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Once again, the gun DID NOT go off!

YOU FIRED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only stupid thing I EVER did with a gun was sell it.

At all other times I treat them with the respect they deserve and DO NOT play with them!

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:39:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Hesitated....
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:41:00 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I was messing around with the trigger on my .357 snubbie in the basement while loaded and I thought I let the hammer down soft enough.
The gun went off!!!! Those little puppies are loud and scary when your not expecting it. I luckily didn't shoot myself. A old 12V power supply was the only injury

I've done something similar. Dropped the hammer on a loaded gun. I was lucky though, nothing damaged or hurt except my pride. I ALWAYS check, and double-check to make sure the chamber is clear before I "dry-fire" now.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:42:54 PM EDT
[#5]

A old 12V power supply was the only injury

no injuries to your BVD's?

only thing i will err ummm own up to is forgetting to clean the firing pin on a "semi"1919 after a 2000 round play...umm stuck firing pin on a 1919 with a 200 round belt is fun though...
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:44:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Hesitated....

I was with my dad a couple years ago at a gun show and saw a new HK USP Compact w/ 2 standard-cap mags for 400 and change.   Walked around talking about getting it only to return and see it gone.

Digital
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:44:59 PM EDT
[#7]
sold it
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:45:04 PM EDT
[#8]
WEELLLL, I know of a dumb ass.  I worked at a gun shop in a small town that hated us being there.  The name of the shop is Straight Shooters.  The dumb ass was doing something with his .44 in the parking lot and shot himself in the leg. Oh yeah it was a mess.  Anyway the local paper ran the ad the next morning with the heading "Not So Straight Shooters".  Thanks to people like that, we were immortalized.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:45:30 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

A old 12V power supply was the only injury

no injuries to your BVD's?

almost
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:46:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Was dry firing, because I did not do well earlier that morning at a IDPA match (carry weapon).  Practice includes a tactical reload after each snap.  For some reason, a loaded magazine find its way into my mag pouch (must have forgotten to replacde it with an enpty mag), and the result is the loudest sound in the world (expecting a click when it goes bang).  The 95 grain Hirtenberger +P+ went thru 4.5 walls (9 dry walls) before it stop.  Worse if all, I live in a town house, and it went into and thru 3 neoghbour's houses.  Luckly, the round did not hit anything but dry wall.  One of my neighbour call the COPS (I am in Kalifornia afterall), and the COPS and the County DA gave me the scare of my life, but no charges were filed, and the weapon was retuen to me in good condition.

Now I made it a rule that I have all the ammo and loaded mag in locked in another room before I dry fire, and the dry fire target is two layers of body armor plus solid wood.

Can you say STUPID!!!!
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:46:41 PM EDT
[#11]
When I was a freshmen in hs I left my almost new .22 on a woodpile when I was, ahhh, uhhh, distracted. I actually remembered it a couple days later and didn't have to remove too much rust to get it looking good again. Stupid me.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:47:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Was loading an SKS when I had to get up and do something, set it down a little too hard on it's butt, only to have the bolt slam forward. Thank goodness the hammer didn't fall.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:49:24 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

YOU FIRED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

At all other times I treat them with the respect they deserve and DO NOT play with them!

Sgatr15

I always play with mine, but I like to play with my toys.
I like to play with my wife and her toys too, but thats another story.....
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:50:21 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

YOU FIRED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sgatr15

+1

Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:50:33 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hesitated....

I was with my dad a couple years ago at a gun show and saw a new HK USP Compact w/ 2 standard-cap mags for 400 and change.   Walked around talking about getting it only to return and see it gone.

Digital

Oh my god the deal of the century, New!?!

Who says gunshows never have good deals!
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:52:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Brand new in box.  We both played with it and it was immaculate, forgot to say it was chambered in 9mm.

Digital
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:52:10 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I have done that a couple of times as well as a few times buying them.  
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:56:30 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have done that a couple of times as well as a few times buying them.  

Done it myself..............damnit
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:59:15 PM EDT
[#19]
I was given so much of the safety talk as a kid, I've never really done anything dumb... But when I was at hunting camp last year I saw two people come in with the whitest faces I have ever seen, one guy had vomit all over him. The story was... They went up into a tree stand, the first guy went up, then roped one rifle into the tree at a time, the guy in the tree asked if the other guy's rifle was unloaded AS he was bringing it up, the guy says, no way man, do I look like an idiot? It then snagged a branch and went click. They both get into the tree and the guy that was on the ground goes to load his rifle, but there was already a round in the chamber! There was no primer strike, so the conclusion is that one branch pulled the bolt up some, and another pulled the trigger, causing the bolt to fall back to locked, and the firing pin to come forward, but it didn't strike the primer because it wasn't all the way forward. As soon as the other guy found out, he proceeded to puke all over and crap himself because he was incredibly close to death. (The gun was pointed RIGHT at his face when the firing pin went forward). Needless to say the guy with the loaded rifle wasn't invited to camp this year.

The year before that another guy brings two rifles with him, a 6mm Remington for deer, and a .300 Ultra Mag to show off.  He took a deer in the morning, and we were all shooting the breeze after night fall. He's showing the 300 off talking about how great his elk hunt went the year before. He's a very animated story teller, and craddles the rifle in a bench position like he's going to shoot as he's telling the story. He aims the gun out the window at the wood pile and continues on with the story. I'm glad I was outside for this part, of course I was chopping wood 30 feet away from the wood pile... The guy slowly squeezes the trigger... BAM! I hear it, and see wood flying away from the pile as the sound of glass falls to the ground. I duck down first, release it must have come from the inside, I tear ass inside and look as everyone is still rather stunned. I see the guy pulling out the spent casing, putting it into his pocket, he unloads the remainder of the rounds from the rifle, he puts it in his case and leaves without saying a word, he comes back the next day to get his deer. I haven't heard anything from him since.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:59:50 PM EDT
[#20]
I pulled the bullet from a .223 round and dumped the powder. Then, just for giggles, I loaded it into my AR, held the muzzle against a pillow, and pulled the trigger.

Well, this was in the BOQ in Dam Neck, Virginia, so the fact I had a rifle on base without permission was bad enough. The noise was surprisingly loud in the room, and the beautiful flash-pattern scorch on the pillowcase is still memorable!

Cut me some slack. I had only been a gun owner for about 36 hours when I did it!

No, they never found out!
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 8:03:31 PM EDT
[#21]
A buddy of mine (no, not ME), was one of those that grew up with guns and had open access to them for hunting as they lived in farm country.  While horsing around doing some skeet shooting in the back 40, one dare led to another and we dared him to put the butt of a 12guage against his nose and pull the trigger.  Of course he would not do it - he was not that stupid.  We did not let up and he agreed to clinch a fist with is left hand and grab his nose, and THEN put the  butt of the shotgun against the fist.  Pulled the trigger with his right hand.  Blood and snot all over his face.  Very funny at the time.  

Looking back at it (we were probably 14-15 years old), can't beleive we did stuff like that.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 8:03:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 8:08:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Bought my first AR when I was 18, an old Olympic XM-177 look alike. Didn't know anything about them, so as usual with anything new I try to take it apart to see how it goes together. For some reason I decided that the flash hider had to come off (for cleaning maybe?), so I locked it in a vise and started twisting. Got a wrench and everything, damn near broke a wrist trying to get it off, then I found out it was a 5 1/2 WELDED on flash suppressor. Luckily the rifle was undamaged, but it had a double tap problem that I was too inexperienced at the time to figure out, so I sold it to someone who knew how to change out the lower parts.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 8:11:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Worst I can recall was grazing the hood of my truck while using it as a bench .
The land sloped down from where I was parked and even though I had a clear sight
picture , the bullet didn’t

It did make an interesting crease in the hood sheet metal though
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 8:12:39 PM EDT
[#25]
I would have to say that the stupidest thing I ever did with a firearm would be about 5 years ago. I was out at Yakima Training Center ( ARMY BASE) Where I was a Medic for the second greatest  group of soldiers  11C's... Mortar's ( Medics being #1)... Well were were doing a live fire ( hip shoots) and one of the guys hurt himself and I was called over to take care of the soldier...Well in doing my duty I leaned my M-16 up against the rear left hand corner of a M113. Well I had to transport this guy to the BAS and myself and a couple of the other guys were getting ready to carry this guy off to the BlackHawk (Dust Off) Helo for the ride, and we all were getting ready and Someone decided to move the track out of the way to make a better area for the bird, Up went the ramp, and that track roll'd backwards right over my M-16. We got the guy on the bird and then  the driver of the track told me he needed to tell me something....He got my aidbag, and rifle, I was piss'd, but did not lose my cool ( Shit happens). The sand at YTC was pretty soft and the Plt Sgt was checking out my Rifle, the front handguards were trashed, but otherwise that Rifle was just fine!... Just for fun we took it to the range that same night just to see if the bbl was bent or anything, She shot  just fine, they put new handguards on it, and turnd it in for a inspection, I did a witness statement and nothing ever became of it...

All of freaking Yakima fireing range and some bonehead decides he needs to back up?!?!?
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 8:15:01 PM EDT
[#26]
I was out hunting one day when I was 13 and it was the first time I had handled a scoped rifle.  I was looking through the scope when I spotted a buck and pulled the trigger too soon.  The buck ran off and the bullett ended up dead center in the trunk of the tree behind him.

Not a negligent discharge, but still stupid.  Beyond that, the only other stupid thing involving guns was hesitating to buy one.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 11:27:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Sold a second year production Colt Peacemaker 45. Had several calvary ordnance stamps and was all original
M
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 11:55:29 PM EDT
[#28]
No stupid stories, thank God, but my uncle has one.

When he was about 16 he was up in his room cleaning his rifle after a long day of hunting.  He was sitting in the loft, looking down into the living room below, and decided to dry fire the weapon.  BOOM!  .30-06 goes off, through the floor into my grandfather's pillow in his bedroom in the basement with my grandmother sleeping beside it.  The only reason he wasn't killed is because he had gotten up moments earler to go to the bathroom.

Gotta love growing up in Wyoming.  They had lots of fun near-death stories to share around the camp fire.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 11:58:49 PM EDT
[#29]
I shot myself in the hand with a BBgun once...hurt like hell but didnt break the skin.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 12:01:28 AM EDT
[#30]
I had a chance to get a MP5 really cheap once and didnt.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 12:18:44 AM EDT
[#31]
I was about 6 or 7 years old. Dad let me shoot his XP100 (.221 fireball). Never shot a scoped weapon before. Made the mistake of sticking my eye DIRECTLY against the glass of the scope just before pulling the trigger. The recoil knocked the scope back into my face & gave me a black eye. Never made that mistake again.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 12:22:59 AM EDT
[#32]
I had an AD in my moms house when I was much younger.  Went through a door, across a hall, through a closet, out a wall, bounced off the ceiling, passed through a rocking chair and broke a mirror that my mom got for Christmas.  Boy did I feel like a dumb ass.  Luckily the only witness was my wife.  I replaced the mirror and patched the holes.  Here's a worse one:  My stupid brother had an AD that went out his house, across a street, through a neighbors front window and that hit a picture of a kid on a paino.  This same brother also shot a .357 at his reflection in a mirror.  Yes, we have both bred...
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 12:29:10 AM EDT
[#33]
droping the 11th round into chamber then realeasing slide.  Then my friend told me don't do that you'll cut the life of the seer in half.  Oh Ok I won't do that then.  load mag, put mag in, rack slide, take mag out, top it off, put mag back in gun.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 12:34:03 AM EDT
[#34]
I accidentally shot myself in the head and died.  I'm extra cautious now.

Seriously, for those of you that have had the misfortune of an AD/ND I hope you've now become the safest one in your shooting group because of it.  I can't think of a bigger wake-up call than that.

Don't fear telling your story to the younger folks.  It may serve as an additional safety reminder.

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 12:38:58 AM EDT
[#35]
Shot my house. Luckily I live in a stone house, but 12 inches to the left and we would have come up one golden lab short. He was inside, didnt get any stone fragments on him or anything. Lucky bastard!

Oh yeah, I was sighting through a rifle after an Arfcom shoot, checkint out 1GRs TA01 that he let me borrow, and I yanked the charging handle and a round pops out. Nothing worse than fucking up in public.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top