Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
11/20/2019 5:07:11 PM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 10/23/2013 7:03:33 PM EST
And these are the reasons why I won't fly unless absolutely necessary. For those that don't know what FOD is, it's anything that doesn't belong in an aircraft or something that has caused damage or has the potential to do damage.

Over the years I've seen all kinds of shit that has be left in aircraft and later flown around and forgotten about. Here's just a few that are kinda ,

Saudi money wrapped around the intake screen of 3A fuel tank boost pump housing on an F-15.

Vice grips still attached to a structural part with no fasteners installed to hold it in. Same goes with clecos.

Once found a com set left under the intake difusser on an F-15. EVERYTHING that could have been removed had been sucked off and through the FOD screen and ingested already.

Pilot's cell phone under the throttle controls on an F-15.

A Maglite under a primary flight control panel that had been beat to shit from getting bounced around and caught under the fight control actuator. Damn surprised that one didn't crash.

Flight crew's M9 still in the lock box on a C-17...loaded. I would have liked to have been a fly on the wall when that crew got notified of this.

Link Posted: 10/23/2013 7:06:17 PM EST
Since I'm usually a passenger, I'd rather not know what's been pulled out of that Airbus I'm taxiing in.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 7:11:51 PM EST
Pliers used to safety wire nuts in the tail of an AH-1. Heard about it wasn't a crew chief.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 7:11:52 PM EST
Flying is still a million times safer than driving.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 7:14:24 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Danj:
View Quote

True... but if your car has a mechanical problem it does not fall out of the sky!
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 7:17:28 PM EST
Originally Posted By DasRonin:

True... but if your car has a mechanical problem it does not fall out of the sky!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DasRonin:
Originally Posted By Danj:

Link Posted: 10/23/2013 7:18:46 PM EST
Several used tampons. Don't ask.

Also various tools of all sorts
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 7:22:22 PM EST
A coworker of mine found a bunch of t-shirts stuffed into part of a horizontal stabilizer during a conformity check.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 7:28:17 PM EST
Not sure if it counts as FOD, but I found a Raccoon nesting in the Citabria I was getting ready to take out to the river to do some fishing. Little fucker ripped the front seat to shreds and was sleeping under the padding
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 7:35:53 PM EST
Not really FOD, but related.

We have pressurized canisters that are used to transport sensitive components for the Apache. We received a few of the sensor domes recently, when we opened the containers we found two to four inches of water in the bottom of four of them.
My friend works at Boeing, and says this happens often when they receive rotor heads from out of state.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 7:37:42 PM EST
Silver monogramed spoon laying on top of the two control cables that run next to the left rudder pedal in the back seat of an F-15E.

Found it during my post flight inspection.

The WSO that had just got out of the seat swore it wasn't his.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 7:42:30 PM EST
I found a black widow hitchhiking in one of my RC planes once

Found an almost-30lb ballast plate just sitting in the bay of a UAV I was about to preflight for an upcoming mission. It had flown an entire FCF like that... no idea how it didn't fall out and squish a camel
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 7:46:44 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/23/2013 7:52:35 PM EST by JAFFE]
Flew ACF/ FCF off and on for many years, plus a three year tour flying ACF. Seen flashlights and tools and fasteners (single, multiples and bags full) shaken out of all sorts of areas on the Herk. Tools and fasteners loose between the floor panels and the aircraft skin. All sorts of crap pulled out of fuel tanks - like loose foam, rags, and tools.

Seen much more "interesting" stuff just from equipment/ structural failure though. Short list - Loose critical core bolts. Cracks completely through major structural components. Throttle/ prop/ flight control cables frayed/ worn through to less than 50% remaining. Elevator flutter traced to elongated mount holes on the rotational tube (cannot remember the proper terminology) - the screw heads were worn to the point that another flight or three may have resulted in loss of control of the elevators. Departure of the hose and drogue from the aircraft in flight. Inflight failure of flight deck window. Running fuel leaks in flight. Electrical fires. Engine fires. Lightning strike. Bird strikes. Blown bleed air ducting. Prop reduction gear disintegration. Flight deck and cargo compartment air conditioning pack turbines going over-speed and disintegrating. Ingestion of seagulls into operating engines on takeoff. Hitting deer on landing roll-out on short runways. Landing gear malfunctions.

My life as an FE was never really "boring".
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 7:46:47 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/23/2013 7:51:58 PM EST by sleepdr]
I was too young to know what was happening, but a roll of safety wire. It dislodged with maneuvers and jammed under the rudder pedals as we turned from base to final. It was my birthday, and I had asked to go for a ride as a present. Adverse yaw at low speed & low altitude, and braking ability removed once on the ground. My dad was flying. He said "remember, Dad loves you," in case some or all of us died in the next minute or two.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 7:56:05 PM EST
Don't know if it counts as FOD, but saw a B-52 recovered with 3 large holes in the wing leading edges. It flew through a flock of geese during a low level run.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 8:01:11 PM EST
Tiny pieces of safety wire, cotter pins.

Wrappers from the pilots.

And this week a mouse I have been trying to catch/kill. I am praying that fucker in mot eating wiring...
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 8:02:17 PM EST
When I was in HS I went to a half day flight academy that gave us college and HS credits. There was a maintenance program there too. We had an older Beech Bonanza that the maintenance program would work on and a UH-1 they would do the same with. Huey was flyable the Bonanza was going to be. We pulled a 12" flathead screwdriver out of the cowling. Maintenance also tried microwaving a roll of paper towels with aluminum foil in the middle.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 8:06:35 PM EST
I forgot to mention that i pulled a rolled up piece of tape from the bottom of a rudder drain hole on a G-V. About 15 to 20 gallons of watter poured out of the drain hole for a good half hour. The plane was painted 2 years prior and nobody removed the tape from the drain hole, go figure.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 8:07:33 PM EST
Found clecos holding a flap spar to the hinge brackets. Also found a half digested cheeseburger once.

Link Posted: 10/23/2013 8:09:28 PM EST
Originally Posted By Chas8008:

And this week a mouse I have been trying to catch/kill. I am praying that fucker in mot eating wiring...

View Quote

A mouse...wow.

I didn't search for fod (except for a walkdown), just wrote the MAF and kicked back.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 8:10:21 PM EST
Not mine, an acquaintance. Fuel mat ingested into,engine during takeoff. Nice preflight bud..
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 8:16:59 PM EST
UH-60L Blackhawk that was having trouble with full left stick. Upon taking it apart we discovered that in place of the normal bolt someone had wrapped safety wire through the bolt holes over and over again until there was almost no room to push the wire through.

Yeah it kept the control arms tight to each other but the 1 Inch plus bulge all around it sort of interfered with normal stick movement.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 8:19:29 PM EST
I have a buddy who flew 727's for quite a few years.
Taking off from YVR they lost #2 and had to abort.

Apparently a mechanic left a padded blanket on top of the fuselage after servicing an antennae and it got sucked into the S-duct.
Destroyed the engine and grounded the aircraft for 3 weeks.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 8:23:06 PM EST
Pair of long needlenose pliers inside a wing of a brand new King Air. Beech actually asked us to return them.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 8:23:49 PM EST
Not FOD per say but that's not supposed to be there

Challenger lav leaked all the way back from Hawaii

Sir James...
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 8:27:33 PM EST
Originally Posted By SirJames556:
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn132/SirJames_album/0330080242.jpg

Sir James...
View Quote

I had the same on a G-IIB but with turds and tampons.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 8:37:12 PM EST
Originally Posted By Ehaban:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ehaban:
Originally Posted By SirJames556:
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn132/SirJames_album/0330080242.jpg

Sir James...

Link Posted: 10/23/2013 8:45:13 PM EST
Originally Posted By Blackhawk101:
UH-60L Blackhawk that was having trouble with full left stick. Upon taking it apart we discovered that in place of the normal bolt someone had wrapped safety wire through the bolt holes over and over again until there was almost no room to push the wire through.

Yeah it kept the control arms tight to each other but the 1 Inch plus bulge all around it sort of interfered with normal stick movement.
View Quote

WTF? Did anyone called to the carpet for that crap?
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 8:48:03 PM EST
A balled up piece of safety wire lust laying in the intake of an F14.

The poor guy (not me, I retreived it) that found it was investigated...because he found it and reported it.

That's when I learned all about "shoot the messenger" and how fucked up the military can be.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 8:48:32 PM EST
I ended up probing an engine nacelle with a telescoping magnet once. It was my fault, really. I was looking for my watch.

It was my first real lesson why you're supposed to de-fod yourself before conducting maintenance.

Link Posted: 10/23/2013 8:51:51 PM EST
Inside the tube.
A cat jumped out of the hydraulic service center just after take off.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 8:53:52 PM EST
never saw this with my own eyes, but have seen it on television many, many times..

FBHO and Moochelle exiting Air Force One and Marine One.

oh, F. O D. !!

well, fuck them anyway !

Link Posted: 10/23/2013 8:56:26 PM EST
Had a flightliner pull a screwdriver out of an area between the transmission and mast on an AH-1W.....we traced it back, and it had been there for at least 7 months (from when it was in AFG). AND it was a civilian contractor screwdriver, so they had basically been reporting ATAF every day for the last seven months when they weren't.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 8:58:49 PM EST
A dead duck.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 9:08:19 PM EST
Originally Posted By BTooneUSMMA:
Had a flightliner pull a screwdriver out of an area between the transmission and mast on an AH-1W.....we traced it back, and it had been there for at least 7 months (from when it was in AFG). AND it was a civilian contractor screwdriver, so they had basically been reporting ATAF every day for the last seven months when they weren't.[
View Quote

that's fucked
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 9:20:44 PM EST
so they had basically been reporting ATAF every day for the last seven months when they weren't.
View Quote

What does that mean?
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 9:28:53 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/23/2013 9:44:07 PM EST by NAEP3]
When I worked in the maintenance operations center (MOC) I was privy to a lot of opps.

Toughbook fell out of wheel well on take-off

2 Lower body cowls and tail cone came off in flight

Upper wrap cowl open in flight

MASSIVE hole(s) in leading edge from a goose strike

Loose engine mount

One of my buddies told me of a tanker that jettisoned a multi-point refueling (MPRS) hose and another that lost a fillet flap.

Edit: I have a lot of DOPs on here. I'm tired.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 9:30:02 PM EST
Originally Posted By makeitflyfast:
And these are the reasons why I won't fly unless absolutely necessary. For those that don't know what FOD is, it's anything that doesn't belong in an aircraft or something that has caused damage or has the potential to do damage.

Over the years I've seen all kinds of shit that has be left in aircraft and later flown around and forgotten about. Here's just a few that are kinda ,

Saudi money wrapped around the intake screen of 3A fuel tank boost pump housing on an F-15.

Vice grips still attached to a structural part with no fasteners installed to hold it in. Same goes with clecos.

Once found a com set left under the intake difusser on an F-15. EVERYTHING that could have been removed had been sucked off and through the FOD screen and ingested already.

Pilot's cell phone under the throttle controls on an F-15.

A Maglite under a primary flight control panel that had been beat to shit from getting bounced around and caught under the fight control actuator. Damn surprised that one didn't crash.

Flight crew's M9 still in the lock box on a C-17...loaded. I would have liked to have been a fly on the wall when that crew got notified of this.

View Quote

I pulled a skydiver out of my plane.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 9:31:02 PM EST
Originally Posted By neverenough86:

What does that mean?
View All Quotes
so they had basically been reporting ATAF every day for the last seven months when they weren't.

What does that mean?

“Yeah I inspected everything, your good to go"
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 9:31:19 PM EST

What does that mean?
View All Quotes

What does that mean?

all tools accounted for
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 9:35:28 PM EST
Forgot the birdstrike that prevented N1 rotation on the next sortie. If I remember right, 2 I&Es and a walk around didn't see it.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 9:35:54 PM EST
found a bag of poop, yes human feces in a plastic bag underneath the floorboards of a P-3C Orion a few years ago. Terrible smell, eventually found out it was a LCDR who "forgot" about it during a mission. That motherfucker screened for command and made it.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 9:40:13 PM EST
Considering the location not FOD. But found an open and empty condom wrapper in an AFT Galley's food warmer. Never found the actual condom.

Piss bottles under Apache pilot and co-pilot seats.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 9:48:37 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 9:53:27 PM EST
wire cutters in the tail rotor of an Apache, and this.

This is what a 10mm socket does to a IPS when sucked thru the intake.

Not my oops.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 10:10:47 PM EST
Cleaned a full coffee can of butts out of the belly of a cub. Pilot was a smoker and just ground them out on the floor where they would eventually fall through a hole into the belly. Also mixed in was about a half a box of kitchen matches he had spilled out of a pack and never cleaned up, and two 375 H&H shells.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 10:19:05 PM EST
The pilots jacket that he took off and laid on the wing while he was doing his walk around on a Cessna Citation.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 10:29:38 PM EST
A big bat in #1 on a 680 that flew in from Africa.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 11:14:04 PM EST
half pack of parliament lights inside a compressor spool.

This is pre assembly of course.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 11:23:45 PM EST
Always remember the one about that Boeing guy that fell asleep while sand bagging inside the tank only to get closed up in it & drowned by jet fuel. They eventually figured out where he was after he started clogging up the fuel filters.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 12:20:08 AM EST
Found a coffee can inside the engine nacelle of one of our aircraft just a few weeks ago. Fresh out of maintenance, the mechanics had used it to catch fluid and then left it there when they buttoned up. Delayed my flight because we had to have a crew uncowl the engine to remove. Probably wouldn't have caused a problem due to its position and being wedged in there, but told me everything I needed to know about the service center.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Top Top