Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/26/2002 4:55:17 PM EDT
 Our church youth group is going on a mission trip to fix houses to "innercity" Denver. What's the gang situation there? Just wondering what the big gang is and how the summer games might be going.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 5:15:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I live on the other side of the mountains from Denver, but I know there are enough gangs to go around.

Hopefully someone closer to Denver will chime in with more usefull info.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 5:23:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Ya know something about white country folks going into areas like this to build and renovate houses has always confused me. It has always seemed to me that there are large groups of young healthy guys playing basketball and lollygagging around whenever I go to a diversity enriched area. Why don't these fine young men renovate and rebuild the houses in their neighborhoods? Why do people from outside have to come and do it for them? Is there something I am missing? [:\]
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 5:32:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I wouldnt worry about it much, Ive never had any problems in Denver, not even in the Ghetto
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 5:33:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I live on the other side of the mountains from Denver, but I know there are enough gangs to go around.

Hopefully someone closer to Denver will chime in with more usefull info.
View Quote

Im In grand junction, where are you at???
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 5:38:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I live in a western 'burb of Denver (Lakewood).

Yes, there is certainly gang activity in Denver, but it's not nearly as bad as what I've heard about parts of LA or Chicago.  There isn't really one specific "big gang", just a lot of factions.  Black gangs, Mexican gangs,...we've even got some Asian gang activity.  We're diverse, damnit!!! [:D]

Do you know what specific area of Denver you'll be in?  I doubt you'll have any problems considering you'll be in a group.  

A couple of hints:

Five Points after dark = Bad idea.
City Park area after dark = Bad idea.
Capitol Hill area after dark = Bad idea, but you'll see some really interesting freaks if you go.  [:)]

Let me know where you'll be at in Denver and I can give you a better idea of what to do (and what not to do).

Link Posted: 6/26/2002 5:47:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Rustygun,

Firstly, what makes you think you can "fix" the inner city? If the blacks/mexicans/white trash that lived in these neighborhoods cared about their surroundings they would fix them their damn selves. The broken down inner city doesn't cause the lack of intelligence, work ethic, civility, and culture. It's the other way around. The best you can do is put a thin coat of paint over the whole rotten place (which, of course, will be "tagged" with graffitti within 24 hours).

However, if you insist on being a do-gooder, I can tell you that Denver is not that bad of a place. In fact, the absolute worst neighborhood in Denver (5 points or East Colfax Ave., take you're pick) is no where near as bad as the worst neighborhoods in cities such as Boston or Washington D.C.

I have noticed an inordinate number of young black men (and a couple of hispanics and white boys) wearing N.C. Tarheels gear from head to toe (i.e. blue bandanna, blue hat, blue shirt, blue shorts, and blue shoes). I guess that makes Denver a "Crip" town as I've never seen anyone wearing all read in the manner noted above.

Dude, do yourself a favor. Stay in Tennessee and get involved in a junior shooting program or something. You CANNOT come here and fix people who cannot be bothered to fix themselves.

Sincerely,

Matt
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 5:51:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Hey Yankee, lets send him to Cheeseman park!
;o)

Matt

Quoted:

A couple of hints:

Five Points after dark = Bad idea.
City Park area after dark = Bad idea.
Capitol Hill area after dark = Bad idea, but you'll see some really interesting freaks if you go.  [:)]

Let me know where you'll be at in Denver and I can give you a better idea of what to do (and what not to do).

View Quote
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 5:53:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, you would think that you were a liberal or somthing.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 6:00:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Hey Yankee, lets send him to Cheeseman park!
;o)

Matt

View Quote

I'd thought of mentioning Cheesman Park, but it's not what I'd consider a dangerous area.
Just disgusting.

[puke]
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 6:06:15 PM EDT
[#10]
If anyone wants to learn how to stop gangs or find out more about them.  its more than just "show and tell"  which is just telling you what to look for.  this site [url]www.gangguy.com[/url] has real good information!  oh ya its my dad's site too.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 6:17:56 PM EDT
[#11]
their smart (in a way) they let others do the work so they can relax
similar to the lazy welfare recipients

Quoted:
Ya know something about white country folks going into areas like this to build and renovate houses has always confused me. It has always seemed to me that there are large groups of young healthy guys playing basketball and lollygagging around whenever I go to a diversity enriched area. Why don't these fine young men renovate and rebuild the houses in their neighborhoods? Why do people from outside have to come and do it for them? Is there something I am missing? [:\]
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 6:22:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Stay away from Highlands Ranch, lots of gangs there. But they drive BMW's and have to be in by 10 PM!
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 6:25:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If anyone wants to learn how to stop gangs or find out more about them.  its more than just "show and tell"  which is just telling you what to look for.  this site [url]www.gangguy.com[/url] has real good information!  oh ya its my dad's site too.
View Quote

Your dad is Mike Knox?  That's awesome!

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...

Link Posted: 6/26/2002 6:25:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Sounds like a good church, teaching your children to help the worthless!!

BIll3508
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 9:02:08 PM EDT
[#15]
The worst areas in Denver are nothing compared to LA, Chicago, Detroit, NY, Boston, etc. I was scared **itless one nite in East Chicago when I got off the wrong highway ramp.

A white boy could walk in the Denver "Ghetto" at 8pm and be ok. At 2am you might have a problem in one or two areas, one being that crappy housing project on 20th Ave just east of downtown. Fortunately, it isn't that large.

Regarding 5 points, the yuppies are actually moving in and housing values are going up drastically. Same in most of the inner city neighborhoods.

You know where there is a gang problem? In THORNTON! Yes, Thornton, one of the northern suburbs. The increase in property values has forced alot of them out of Denver and alot have moved there.

legrue - Denver native (the city and not a 'burb, either)
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 9:08:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Your dad is Mike Knox?  That's awesome!

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...

View Quote

yes he is.  do  you know him?
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 9:29:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
The "poor pitiful me-ers" dont fix any thing just whine about it. Besides white country folks will go  in and renovate it for um! It's their job don't cha know!![:D]
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 9:31:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Like all cities, Denver is both safe an dangerous.
I write this with the understanding shared by others who have replied to your topic, although I wonder what you meant by "summer games". . .
What does this mean to you?
What "gangs" are you interested in?
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 2:51:10 PM EDT
[#19]
 It sounds like Denver doesn't have a real gang problem. Here in Memphrica we have already had four children under the age of 10 killed by stray bullets and it isn't even 4th of July yet.
 I wonder why the kids need to go to a far away place to help folks when there are plenty of old folks with leaky roofs right here locally, but whatever.
 As far as helping scumbags, God loves their sorry asses although I often wonder why. I think the idea is too demonstrate God's love to people whether they appreciate it or not.
 Some of them come around as they get older although most don't get too old. Not too many greybeards in the ghetto.
 I guess I'll recommend six thirties and four grenades along with sniper overwatch. One of my old buddies said it best when he said "You don't have to hope they go to hell, but their bodies have to be stopped".
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 5:47:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
 . . . Here in Memphrica we have already had four children under the age of 10 killed by stray bullets and it isn't even 4th of July yet. . .
View Quote

Never heard of "Memphrica".  Please enlighten me.
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 11:14:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Never heard of "Memphrica".  Please enlighten me.
View Quote

It's that sorry assed town on the Mississippi River. You know, where Elvis used to live? It's also the sorry assed town where they elect & re-elect a state sen, John Ford, who has fired shots at a trucker going down I-40, fired shots at a city work crew working in front of his home & had his driveway blocked, & his wife & girlfriend (who both have kids by him) got into a big slugfest.

It's also a town where numerous cops were busted for selling drugs.

In short, it's a cesspool that by all rights should've been allocated to Arkansas.
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 1:05:42 PM EDT
[#22]
 Check out www.memfrica.com for further info.  
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 12:18:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Watch out for the "Trenchcoat Mafia"

All in all, Gangs don't seem to be as active here as in NJ, NY, CA, etc.

Then again, I stay in the burbs, and the county, and don't go into the city looking for trouble.
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 1:05:42 AM EDT
[#24]
There's lots of gangs in the "Cherry Creek" area. Stay away from there. Gangs of Yuppies and those with "reclaim" our city type attitudes!

Speaking of disgusting. I just thought of a  place near Broadway and Alameda called Club Stud, which could use a little renovation since Denver is on the fix it list. LOL

Do you do any work on cars?

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give."

Sir Winston Churchill
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 8:09:54 PM EDT
[#25]
I saw where "Habitat" fixed up a house for these people near 38th & Navajo making it ADA accesible and now the Crips are dealing drugs out of it.

The gangs are actually pretty mild here, the turf wars have been over for more than a decade.
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 8:26:06 PM EDT
[#26]
My dear old grandmother lived in Denver from about the end of WWII until her death in 1991, at the age of 91. Although she had relatives in California, Indiana, Iowa, and Minnesota, she refused to leave her apartment downtown because all her friends lived nearby. In here 70's, she was mugged on the street twice, thrown to the ground and kicked, her purse stolen, and all that. Her apartment was robbed numerous times, and what little valuables she had were taken. In each occasion, the guys were identified as members of local gangs. If it were me, I'd find a way for those people to fix their own stinkin' houses.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top