Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/26/2003 5:05:14 PM EDT
Mad Cow Disease eating muscle meat but a huge recall of meat is underway.  They say it is only in the brain and spinal cord.  Fox says it is contracted by tainted feed.  One cow can't give it to another.  Fox even said that a calf isn't born with it.  WTF?  Can someone explain this to me?  A farmer or rancher buys feed but only one cow in Canada and one in the USA is affected?  Again, WTF?  
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 5:10:57 PM EDT
[#1]
railman, there's another thread going on a bout this, but here goes:  brains and spinal cord ar ethe only places the diseas can spread.  People are worried about ground beef, thinking everything goes into one hopper, even thought the infected cows spine and brain are in friggengland right now!  some animal feed used to be made from leftover parts as a way to get cheap protein.  this method hasn't been used in 5 years in the US.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 5:11:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Cows get it when ranchers grind up the unused portions (brain, spinal cord, etc) and mix it with the feed they give to other cows.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 5:54:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Cows get it when ranchers grind up the unused portions (brain, spinal cord, etc) and mix it with the feed they give to other cows.
View Quote

Y'all telling me that cows are carnivorous, and cannabalistic to boot?  [shock]
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 6:02:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

They are but don't know it. [;)]

Don't they still use rendered animal proteins in dairy cows? Or maybe it was poultry.

Anyway, I've been chewing on a huge beef roast for 3 days now and I have no plans to stop until it's gone. [:D]
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 6:04:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Shhhhh, nobody's told the cows yet. [;)]
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 6:05:04 PM EDT
[#6]
We are planning on buying a chest freezer now to take advantage of the falling meat prices.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 6:08:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 6:13:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Just eat pussy and you'll be OK!
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 6:17:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ranchers don't do it.  Renderes and Packing houses with rendering operations do that.  It's called meat meal or bone meal.  It is then sold to Feedyards to make feed.

This case of BSE will probably be the end of this practice.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 6:26:41 PM EDT
[#10]
 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
Y'all telling me that cows are carnivorous, and cannibalistic to boot?
Cows are like people and dogs, They eat what you give them(sooner or later). Didn't you see the movie Solyent Green with Charlton Heston??
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 6:52:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Dont worry! Our cows are fine!

They taste good!
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 6:55:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought I read in the other thread that although Bone Meal/Meat Meal is no long given to cows that it's still give to other animals chickens?...
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 7:22:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Ranchers don't do it.  Renderes and Packing houses with rendering operations do that.  It's called meat meal or bone meal.  It is then sold to Feedyards to make feed.

This case of BSE will probably be the end of this practice.
View Quote

Hope so.

While they are at it, maybe we will stop being sold meat from "downed" animals. You know, those cows and calves that cant stand on their own, have brokem a leg, are sick, or otherwise wouldnt survive.  
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 7:44:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Years ago as I had the pleasure to go to a rendering plant.There they would take all the parts of the cow that wasn't used for human consumption(heads,hoofs,bones,tails,fats, etc) grind them all up and then cook it down.The tallow was skimmed off(used for soap making and some skin care products} and the remainding solids were used for dog food,cat food,or any other high protein feed.Great place to get rid of a human body,not that I would know about such things.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 8:07:17 PM EDT
[#15]
What's the best load to use against mad cows?
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 8:18:11 PM EDT
[#16]
< chick-filet cow > eat mor chiken
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 8:24:34 PM EDT
[#17]
that's what I'm thinking

Quoted:
hotdogs?
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 8:25:19 PM EDT
[#18]
kosher man, kosher!
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 8:25:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you don't have the stomach to slice the juglars and watch the blood flow, you can use a .22 LR to the base of the skull.  They still jerk and twitch except with the bullet, its a bit more exciting.  

For the rest of the thread, the meat reclaimed from the bones is often added to ground products.  How do they reclaim it?  Bones are put in a press and the meat, being a non-Newtonian fluid, is expressed like toothpaste.  Bones stay behind.  This has been discouraged with the current events because a majority of the bone meat is from the uper spinal column.  Yes, some spinal cord was included in ground.

Makes you want to do your own processing.  And follow a few of the Jewish rules too.  Like no downed animals.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 8:56:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Just eat pussy and you'll be OK!
View Quote

But the cat is a member of the family!JK
[:D]
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 8:58:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Welcome to government junk science.  We (the government) are here to spread panic and fear.

I am sure there is more than one way to cause neurological disorders in cows.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 9:14:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

[img]http://www.corpusnet.com/geezuz/works/madcow.jpg[/img]

[size=3]Moo!!  From my cold dead hooves!!![/size=3]
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 9:27:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
We are planning on buying a chest freezer now to take advantage of the falling meat prices.
View Quote

I haven't seen any price drops.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 10:01:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I haven't seen any price drops.
View Quote

they *SHOULD* though. the exports we have lost total to about 3 billion annually, or so im told. with that chunk of the market(demand) gone, and the idiots that stop eating beef taking their effect, our price ought to drop.

about damn time too. the steaks i prefer were 18$ for a 4 pak 2 years ago, they were 25 about a year ago, and now thier 45 goddamn dollars. i would like to be able to enjoy that cut again for under 10$ per steak
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 10:09:37 PM EDT
[#25]
The Prions or the infective particles are the ultimate survivors.  They have been burned, buried, put into chemicals and they somehow survive.  They are amazingly simple organisms, if you can call them that.  Much simpler then even viruses.  They infect the brain matter and spinal cord and slowly degenerates the tissue.  The human equivalent is called JK, or Jakob-Krutzfeld, I cant spell tonight!  I have actually seen people with this disease die.  They literally become a body without a brain.  The problem with the cows is the tissue is usually not carefully removed and there is a great fear of contamination.  This cow probably got this about 5 years ago. Its had 2 calves since then.  That whole farm is basically going to get nuked.  Its very unlikely that you will get it eating regular beef, but the damn things will not die with cooking.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 10:12:11 PM EDT
[#26]
You guys ever hear of Gelatin?
Do a search and see how many things a day you ingest contain Gelatin?

Do you think wen they throw in the boned to make gelatin none of the Spine gets in there?

Think man! Think!
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 11:05:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Prions are simply mis-formed reactive protien molecules...

These are the simplest of infectious entities (the next 'up' on the totem pole would be the RNA retrovirus), not really 'alive', but capable of doing tremendous damage by reacting with and breaking down existing tissue... Basically think of an protien compound that is a cross between a retrovirus and a poison...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top