Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/1/2006 6:02:03 AM EDT
I just don't understand this show.

You have a guy cooking food in front of an audience. With a band.

Emeril adds cilantro to a dish. The audiences audibly gasps in awe like it's a high wire act.

Emeril makes a stupid comment about a spice. Audience erupts in laughter.

Emeril does just about anything that millions of people do in their kitchen every day, and his audience applauds like he's done something they've never seen before.

Where do they find these people for the audience? Can a human being be so impressed by a guy cooking that they really act that way?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:05:40 AM EDT
These people come from the same place they find infomercial audience members.

I think they arrive via the short bus.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:06:00 AM EDT
BAM!!!

I'm with you, I have no idea.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:08:42 AM EDT
sheeple
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:13:53 AM EDT
They just want the free stuff everyone gets at the end of the show.

Kharn
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:15:10 AM EDT
That guy handles the raw meat, handles stuff already cooked, handles this, handles that, and then flops the plate down in front of ME ! I would slide the thing right back to him and in the immortal words of a then 5 yr old motorcycle riding buddy { I was 48 at the time ] .

" I AIN'T EATIN' THAT ! "

Joker never appears to wash his hands ! Every now and then he wipes them on a towel. What's up with that ??

rj
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:27:11 AM EDT

He's a clown. The people in his audience are a bunch of hyenas.

The Food Channel has had him in the prime 8 o'clock slot for how long? 7 or 8 damn years? And it seems to be the same old shows over and over.

Mario Batali should kick his ass for chef impersonation.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:28:55 AM EDT
Now this is coming from a person with a degree in Culinary Arts...

the guy is a HACK. He used to be a good chef. Now he is just about the show. Sell out.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:35:42 AM EDT
I have never seen Emeril.

Does he just cook something and with a lot of flare?

He has a band? Really?

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:37:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/1/2006 7:37:52 AM EDT by jj01]
Sounds like you're happy with your beans and weenies...... I'm sure he's laughing/bam'n all the way to the bank.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:38:10 AM EDT

Originally Posted By unforgiven5150:

the guy is a HACK. He used to be a good chef. Now he is just about the show. Sell out.

Sell Out?

Now that is funny. A chef that is a sell out… Do you have any idea how silly that sounds. He is a cook not the Dali-Lama.

DUH… of course it is about the show… it is a show, that is why they call it a SHOW.

The guy is doing what everyone else is doing trying to make money, more power to him if he can do it.

Now you can go back to watching Dog the Bounty Hunter.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:45:18 AM EDT
He's making a couple million a year.

I'd sell out too.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:51:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/1/2006 7:52:11 AM EDT by EricTheHun]
If Emeril was cooking me dinner gratis, I'd chuckle at his jokes and gasp at his culinary techniques, as well.

Eric The(<b-u-r-r-r-p>...'ScuseMe)Hun
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:57:20 AM EDT

Let's kick it up a notch!

Where's my turkey baster and escargot tong?

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:58:36 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Hellhound:
sheeple

no other descriptor.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:58:41 AM EDT
The audience is SALTED
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:59:40 AM EDT
BAM!

Yes the crowd goes crazy when he adds garlic to stuff, wtf is with that?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:02:11 AM EDT

Originally Posted By bastiat:

Emeril adds cilantro to a dish. The audiences audibly gasps in awe like it's a high wire act.

Emeril does just about anything that millions of people do in their kitchen every day, and his audience applauds like he's done something they've never seen before.

Where do they find these people for the audience? Can a human being be so impressed by a guy cooking that they really act that way?

I've been watching while here at my sister's house. I like the show, but I, too, don't understand the item hilighted above.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:02:27 AM EDT
Yes his jokes are repetitive and he uses the same lines every week (Thats why i stopped watching like 3 years ago (also see "Howard Stern)) But this guy is making money and he is a "Decent" chef. He does have some good ideas and recipes.

Personally I like Alton Brown. Then again, I like the science behind cooking over showboating.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:06:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/1/2006 8:09:11 AM EDT by TRW]
"Oh ya..babe"

"Now, while that's getting happy"
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:10:03 AM EDT
Call your cable company and complain that you don't have SMELL-A-VISION
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:10:48 AM EDT
With all of the other stupid shit they put on TV, I'm surprised the lot of you are bashing Emeril. I'm not a cook. In fact, I could probably burn water. Maybe that's why I like the show. That and Iron Chef. Not so much for the food, just for the classic dubbing in English. You know thats not what they're really saying. Kinda like MXC on Spike.

But I've also wondered why everyone loves it when he puts garlic in stuff. I mean, I love garlic too, but I don't really get excited over it.

Now, who's that chick from Everyday Italian. Man, she's hot
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:11:05 AM EDT
ok.. all yall have never been to a filming of a show.

lets put it this way.

you clap for 5 minutes while they get every camera angle possible
you laugh for 5 minutes while they get every camera angle possible

then they do the show.. LOTS of takes. LOTS of screw ups. in about 4-8 hours you have a show. Its all edited together in a linear way, they add in laughing and clapping where needed, and when they cut to the clapping audience it is usually file footage from those 5 minutes that made your hands sore.

ok, that is how most are made, i dunno about emeril, ive only seen that show once, and wasnt anything special.

drew carey show was FAST, they hit almost every line dead on every time.
americas funniest people took 4 or 6 hrs for one half hour show... SUCKED except tawny kitaen is/was HOT
ive been to one or two other sitcom filmings. each different, but the final cut was always added in stuff. edited and spliced to death.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:11:49 AM EDT

Originally Posted By DrFrige:
Yes his jokes are repetitive and he uses the same lines every week (Thats why i stopped watching like 3 years ago (also see "Howard Stern)) But this guy is making money and he is a "Decent" chef. He does have some good ideas and recipes.

Personally I like Alton Brown. Then again, I like the science behind cooking over showboating.

I really like Good Eats with ALton Brown.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:23:42 AM EDT
It never fails that every dish he puts out ends up looking like a pile of shit. I can't stand the bastard, and I really can't stand that Rachel Ray bitch. She has gotta be the most annoying person in the world. I think Mario Batalli is one of the only good chefs left on Food Network.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:29:10 AM EDT
Emeril is cool. Great to see a master at work. As for sheeple, that can be said of anyone who watches any show. What shows do you watch? Sheep!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:30:04 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:37:51 AM EDT
Any show I've watched with a "real super duper" chef is about as boring as watching paint dry.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:40:57 AM EDT

Originally Posted By AssaultRifler:
Emeril is cool. Great to see a master at work. As for sheeple, that can be said of anyone who watches any show. What shows do you watch? Sheep!

I write my own shows and then have my cats act them out.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:42:25 AM EDT
Would Julia Child be more to your liking?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:42:36 AM EDT
I like it when he wipes his nose on his sleeve, right at the cuff.....

There are some good cooking shows on. PBS has one, America's Test Kitchen.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:44:22 AM EDT

You sir, are a big fat liar....
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:46:10 AM EDT

Originally Posted By nightstalker:

You sir, are a big fat liar....

well, I still have to do the voices for them, but they handle all the acting.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:49:21 AM EDT

You're a "cat guy" - oooohh that explains a lot.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:54:01 AM EDT

Originally Posted By jj01:

You're a "cat guy" - oooohh that explains a lot.

You can't detect a joke...what does that tell you?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:54:18 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:22:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/1/2006 9:23:35 AM EDT by Admiral_Crunch]
Emeril Live is the most annoying show on Food Network. A cooking show should not have a band. It's like a late-night talk show with one guest who is also the host. Bizarre. He has/had a show called Essence of Emeril where it was just him in a kitchen cooking for the camera. That show I could actually tolerate to some degree. He wasn't so flamboyant.

Rachel Ray is too annyoing to watch for any length of time. Good Eats is my favorite show on Food Network, but Alton Brown's not really a "chef".

Mario Batali and Giada De Laurentiis are very good. Giada is a little annoying in that she overpronounces any words of Italian origin. "Okay, now we're going to add a little bit of MOHTTZARRRRHELLLLA cheese to this...."

Oh, and Elzar rules, by the way.
"Just give it a blast from your spice weasel! BAM!"
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:34:25 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Flakchak:

+1. If she would just hold those shoulders back !

We have actually cooked some of her dishes. The torte is really good.

rj
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:40:12 AM EDT
I could not go to a show and watch them cook if I couldn't eat it. Wait this isn't a thread about strip clubs.........Is it?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:19:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/1/2006 11:21:46 AM EDT by unforgiven5150]

Originally Posted By Max_Mike:

Sell Out?

Now that is funny. A chef that is a sell out… Do you have any idea how silly that sounds. He is a cook not the Dali-Lama.

DUH… of course it is about the show… it is a show, that is why they call it a SHOW.

The guy is doing what everyone else is doing trying to make money, more power to him if he can do it.

He USED to be a good chef. His show USED to teach you something. As said before, he throws in garlic and the audience goes nuts like they have never even seen garlic before. He has become an actor and not a chef.

Sure, more power to him. Make money. A chef can be a sell-out just like any profession can be. Not sure why that is funny?

I'm a big fan of Alton Brown. I like shows that actually teach me something. Emeril's used to. Now he just wanted to say "BAM" and have the audience burst into applause for a spice.

As for Dog the Bounty Hunter, I'm guessing that is supposed to be put down. Maybe I would be offended if I've ever even seen 30sec of the show.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 12:48:24 PM EDT
I quit watching Emeril's shows. I will say this though. His restaurant, Tchoup Chop, next to Universal Studios in Orlando, has a Polynesian/Asian style and is some of the best food I've ever tasted.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:01:44 PM EDT
I disagree with those of you saying he "used to be a good chef". His show Emeril Live is about taking everyday recipes and spicing them up a little bit to where the home cook with no training can still make them, not pushing the culinary creative envelope. The guy would lose a big chunk of his demographics if he got too complex in that format. I read an interesting article about him in a cigar magazine a few months ago, he's made food network what it is almost single-handedly. His recipes in his restaurants are great and the guy is a marketing savant.

As far as all the clapping etc that's prompted/handled by the black woman that is on camera from time to time, I can't remember her name but her job is to direct the audience.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:11:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By XDBACKUPGUN:

Originally Posted By DrFrige:

I really like Good Eats with ALton Brown.

+1

Skip Emeril and go watch Good Eats. I've never liked any cooking shows, but Good Eats still manages to be so uniquely interesting that I watch it every time I notice it's on.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:21:15 PM EDT

Much like other live audience shows, the audience goes through a pre-show orientation. Clap in between segments. Be lively. Make the show happening. I do think the audience behavior is over done sometimes.

I went to see David Letterman. We were given the pre-show low-down. One thing they asked us not to do is yell "Woo!" when cheering because it sounds like sirens.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:22:57 PM EDT

Him and Jimi Hendrix both, man! They get the money and the groupies and the big house in the hills and suddenly the mus...I mean food isn't important anymore! It's all about the suits at the food company want! They forget about the days when they were nobody, sitting in their dad's garage pounding out omlets with a $2 spatula! They forget about the little people that got them where they are! Food these days ain't got no soul, man! Back in the day food MOVED PEOPLE, man! It moved people!

Shit. As soon as I heard about a channel of nothing but food, I knew it was over: the video became what is important. There hasn't been any good food since the 70s.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:32:54 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Echo_Hotel:

.......................... There hasn't been any good food since the 70s.

You are referring, of course, to The Galloping Gourmet !
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:41:04 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:41:53 PM EDT
The man has gotten a lot of folks to start cooking again, rather than eating at chain restaurants or from their microwave freezer boxes. Emeril has been an inspiration to many, myself included.

It is hard to cook a fine meal when all you are good at is being a keyboard commando.

It is EASY to criticize those who are successful out of mere jealousy.

It is STUPID to slam a successful multi-millionaire who is in the prime of his career.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:59:47 PM EDT

Originally Posted By PBIR:
I disagree with those of you saying he "used to be a good chef". His show Emeril Live is about taking everyday recipes and spicing them up a little bit to where the home cook with no training can still make them, not pushing the culinary creative envelope. The guy would lose a big chunk of his demographics if he got too complex in that format. I read an interesting article about him in a cigar magazine a few months ago, he's made food network what it is almost single-handedly. His recipes in his restaurants are great and the guy is a marketing savant.

As far as all the clapping etc that's prompted/handled by the black woman that is on camera from time to time, I can't remember her name but her job is to direct the audience.

+1 BAM!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:10:58 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Max_Mike:

Sell Out?

He USED to be a good chef. His show USED to teach you something. As said before, he throws in garlic and the audience goes nuts like they have never even seen garlic before. He has become an actor and not a chef.

Sure, more power to him. Make money. A chef can be a sell-out just like any profession can be. Not sure why that is funny?

I'm a big fan of Alton Brown. I like shows that actually teach me something. Emeril's used to. Now he just wanted to say "BAM" and have the audience burst into applause for a spice.

As for Dog the Bounty Hunter, I'm guessing that is supposed to be put down. Maybe I would be offended if I've ever even seen 30sec of the show.

Jealousy is a ugly thing.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:20:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Flakchak:
With all of the other stupid shit they put on TV, I'm surprised the lot of you are bashing Emeril. I'm not a cook. In fact, I could probably burn water. Maybe that's why I like the show. That and Iron Chef. Not so much for the food, just for the classic dubbing in English. You know thats not what they're really saying. Kinda like MXC on Spike.

But I've also wondered why everyone loves it when he puts garlic in stuff. I mean, I love garlic too, but I don't really get excited over it.

Giada del laurentiis......

I wonder if she is related to dino?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top