Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2004 3:35:45 PM EDT
I have heard this all over the TV news.  Anyone know the full story?  Is this a union thing that might be over soon or is this the end of professional hockey as we know it?  Someone told me the league might fold?  I would like some answers please?
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:36:01 PM EDT
[#1]
$$$
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:37:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't know, don't care.  Professional sports are the modern version of the Roman Colosseum, only with overpaid crybabies who are mostly morally corrupt.  

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:42:26 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Don't know, don't care.  Professional sports are the modern version of the Roman Colosseum, only with overpaid crybabies who are mostly morally corrupt.  

+1
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:45:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Greedy players, greedy owners.

Eventually they'll run all pro sports out of business.

More free time to shoot.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:56:34 PM EDT
[#5]
So lemme get this straight...It's about money.

Translation...it may be over in three weeks or three decades.

Thanks for the help guys.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:04:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Greedy players refusing 6 generous offers from the owners. They want more money than the leauge can afford without declaring bankruptcy.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:35:19 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Greedy players refusing 6 generous offers from the owners. They want more money than the leauge can afford without declaring bankruptcy.

The collective bargaining agreement expired and the owners locked the players out.

Owners want a salary cap, players refuse to accept one.

The owners claim they are losing too much money, yet they've been able to over the past few years accumulate a war chest in preperation for this lockout.  A study commissioned by the NHL estimated that the league lost $273 million on revenues of $2 billion during the 2002-03 season.

Owners are proposing a hard salary cap, like the NFL and NBA, set at $32 million. The Detroit Red Wings and the New York Rangers current payrolls are well over twice that. The players have countered with a small rollback on salaries (5 percent), reducing salaries for rookies, and say they're open to a luxury-tax system like that of Major League Baseball.

We've all seen how well salary caps work at keeping the costs down in the NFL and NBA right?  

BTW deej86, do you live in a cave?  The lockout became reality on Sept 16.

Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:39:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Actually, the salary cap in the NFL has greatly improved the game...baseball needs one, too...and this is coming from a Yankees fan...
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:42:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:43:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, let 'em stay locked out...just means the Lightning will keep the Stanley Cup longer...
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 5:13:52 PM EDT
[#11]
All the more reason for minor league sports.

BTW Phil_in_Seattle, I don't live in a cave but thanks for asking!
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 5:16:53 PM EDT
[#12]
I heard that until America becomes a little more Canadian we don't get to play hockey.

Or did we just use up all of our hockey minutes? (Sprint Reference)

MT

Edit: For Wireless Correctness
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 5:18:01 PM EDT
[#13]
The players don't realize that the league has the worst ratings and is actually having to pay ESPN to carry their games.
Then again the owners never had to award those huge contracts.
I think the players should just give in, and watch the owners try to subvert their own salary cap keeping their favorite players.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 5:18:02 PM EDT
[#14]
NHL is done. I'm guessing we see a true International league, with a North American division and a European division. Limited inter-divisional play.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 5:20:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 5:21:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 5:24:15 PM EDT
[#17]
The NHL's insane expansion into places like Columbus, San Jose, and Raleigh didn't help much.

Bring back the Original Six.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 5:26:06 PM EDT
[#18]
what's funny is that the sabers dropped ticket prices right before the lockout happened
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 5:33:14 PM EDT
[#19]
looks like we've seen the last of Stevie Yzerman....
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 11:09:07 PM EDT
[#20]
I heard last night that the players may settle.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 11:36:55 PM EDT
[#21]
This is the first I have heard about this.  But there is a reason, and that is because I care about as much for NHL as I do for soccer.  Which is to say, I like hockey slightly more than bronchitis.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 11:51:27 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Like Pat Tillman.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 4:43:22 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
The NHL's insane expansion into places like Columbus, San Jose, and Raleigh didn't help much.

My dad agrees with you. I do somewhat.

I like minor league hockey better anyway.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 6:17:01 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I heard that until America becomes a little more Canadian we don't get to play hockey.

Or did we just use up all of our hockey minutes? (Verizon Reference)

MT

Right church, wrong pew my friend...Sprint is the service provider you meant to mention right?

But I did think we did use all of our hockey minutes

hahahahahahahahahahahaha
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 6:51:50 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My dad agrees with you. I do somewhat.

I like minor league hockey better anyway.

The NHL has gone to hell with that dipshit Commissioner Gary Bettman, expanding to friggen cities that will never support a hockeyteam plus the expansion has watered down the talent level forcing teams to resort to the good ole boring ass Trap to try to compete.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top