Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/15/2005 3:10:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/15/2005 3:11:04 PM EDT by Kreutzberg]
I see plently of information about taking firearms, but what about just ammo. If your not taking a gun, do you have to declare that you have ammo? I would imagine so, otherwise the explosive screeners might catch you.

I also seem to recall hearing about a maximum amount of weight, I think 11 pounds. How many rounds of .308 is this? It has to be packaged in a container designed for ammo. Does that include the original box?
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:19:11 PM EDT
Quantity depends on the airline, and they usually specify that it be in factory boxes. I have flown with a gun twice in the last month, and I simply unloaded my mags and put the ammo back in a factory box.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:23:23 PM EDT
My experience has been that there is a weight limit, IIRC, 7#s. Never had a problem and wasn't asked if it was in factory boxes. Just "do you have less than X #s?". Check with the individual airline, but be patient if you get an non-gun type on the phone. Keep asking until you get the answers.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:45:00 PM EDT
factory boxed ammo is fine, the weight limit is 11 pounds, but somehow I managed to get far more ammo to training.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:04:52 PM EDT
I carry 50 rounds of Corbon packed in a typical transparent reloaders box with tape to seal it. Ammo has not been questioned for about 10+ flights this year, including the trip I am currently on.

If you need more than 10 pounds of ammo, ship it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:48:46 PM EDT
Check with your airline. Alaska will let you carry up to 50#, their max. weight for one bag. I packed a M1 ammo can (locked with a Ammo-can-lock) in my suitcase. I declared it, but TSA didn't care about it. They had lots of questions about how to get a Garand after inspecting mine.

Their explosive sniffer doesn't pick up smokeless gun powder.
Top Top