Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2005 11:52:29 AM EDT
I've got a BBQ grill with cast iron grates. I've never seasoned them properly, and it's showing. I've got nothing better to do today, and the Mrs wants burgers later on so...

...how do I properly season the grates? I know I'm going to have to wire brush the things clean first, as they're pretty nasty. What do I do next? How do I maintain my grates afterwards?

Thanks in advance, arfcom!!
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 12:01:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Same as a pan. clean it, cover it in bacon fat (any oil will do to start if you don't have animal fat) and then bake it for hours at 300 or so. Since it is a grate and not a pan you'll have to take it out every 30 minutes or so and re-coat it and maybe flip it over.

Put foil under it to catch drippings.

Redo this as often as possible. clean it with a rag and water. re-oil it after every use. Don't let old food set on it, especially veggies and such. Don't scrub with abrasives and don't even use soap if you can help it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 12:33:34 PM EDT
[#2]

I just get mine hot, hit it with the wire brush, and then coat it with cooking oil.  I just did this again about an hour ago, because I am cooking pork ribs for the party crew today.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 11:44:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Bump in case there are any other techniques people might want to share.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 11:53:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Follow the advice given above, but one more:

Take an old towel and roll and tie like a little roast. Dip in a plate of canola oil or something with a high smoke point, and USING TONGS, rub it all over the hot grates BEFORE you start cooking.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 11:56:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Toss it into the waters of New Orleans for a couple of days.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top