Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 5/4/2004 5:50:28 AM EST
I know it sounds stupid but I figured some of you could shed light on any easy way to get over a straight 6 foot fence with no ledges or anything to put your feet on. Got to take a physical agility test tomorrow to try and get on with a different JBT agency and was wondering if someone can suggest something that I haven't thought of to help and make it easier.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 5:50:59 AM EST
Be chased by a 3 foot dog.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 6:00:39 AM EST
A few ideas...

1. Go under, around, or through the fence if you can't get over it.

2. The Blonde on the Other Side of the River
So there's this blonde out for a walk; she comes to a river and sees another blonde on the opposite bank.

"Yoo-hoo!" she shouts. "How can I get to the other side?"

The second blonde looks up the river, then down, then shouts back, "You are on the other side."
s/river/fence

3. Moon Boots.

4. Ye Little Olympic High Jumper

5. Tannerite!
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 6:01:20 AM EST
Drive through it.

Seriously, why go over when you can go through..

Failing that suggestion, leverage is your friend.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 6:01:43 AM EST
Watch COPS on TV. Someone does it on that show every week.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 6:02:58 AM EST
The way I did it way back when was run full steam at the wall and basically walk (run) up the wall. Get that chicken wing over the wall and you're good to go.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 6:03:12 AM EST
[Samual Adams beer ad] Explosives are always a fine choice! [/Samual Adams beer ad]
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 6:03:42 AM EST
Chain link or wood? Chain link usually isn't tight enough to do the 'hit the fence running and launch yourself over' thing that you can do on wood.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 6:04:04 AM EST
Keep up your momentum.
The people that seem to have trouble, are the ones that stop when they get to it.

Or wait for the inevitable fat guy, and use him for a step/ladder.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 6:04:27 AM EST
You have to hit it running and use your momentum to swing a leg over the top. Once you have a leg over, you use that to pull yourself over the top.

Go rent Officer and a Gentleman. It's all there.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 6:06:25 AM EST
We have an obstacle course with three 6 ft walls in a row about 20 ft apart. If you timing is off you can't make all three.

Leap onto wall, brace left foot against wall, hands on top, swing right foot to the top as lever, roll over wall on your belly.

Be very careful with the nads.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 6:06:50 AM EST

Originally Posted By Gunslinger808:
Keep up your momentum.
The people that seem to have trouble, are the ones that stop when they get to it.

Or wait for the inevitable fat guy, and use him for a step/ladder.

So true. Whatever you do don't run up to the wall and stop! Those guys always make an ass of themselves.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 6:07:18 AM EST
one man --Jump up , pull yourself up to the waist, lean over, flop the rest over, hit the ground running.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 6:08:06 AM EST
6,800lb. pickup does the trick everytime.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 6:10:19 AM EST
[Last Edit: 5/4/2004 6:11:16 AM EST by Kar98]
(If necessary, jump up), grab hold of top, pull yourself up, swing legs over it, depending on ground on the other side either lower yourself gently, or jump down, cushioning the fall by flexing your knees a bit. Time allowed for assignment: 0.5 seconds. Shouldn't even slow down your run.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 6:19:29 AM EST

Pole vault.

Link Posted: 5/4/2004 6:20:03 AM EST
Drive a truck over it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 6:24:12 AM EST
Wear sensible shoes.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 6:39:08 AM EST
unless you are a midget or wearing full gear, 6ft. wall/fence shouldn't be too hard. just make sure you keep your momentum up as you hit it
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 6:43:46 AM EST
Catapult
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 6:48:54 AM EST
I just step over them being careful not to let little Johnnie and the twins get cought on the way by.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 6:51:23 AM EST
It's easier than it looks if you got a running start.

Or if you're a woman, they'll let you use the step stool.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 6:54:57 AM EST
If you are with somebody, I think there is a way to use a PR-24 to scale a chainlink fence.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 7:05:48 AM EST
you'll see when you get up to it that 6ft really isn't as high as you think. like everyone else is saying, don't stop. Just run, put both hands on top, and use your forward momentum to help pull yourself up. Then just either throw one leg over and straddle it, or pull one leg up and put it on top, then finish up on the other side. you'll do fine.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 7:13:04 AM EST
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 8:29:01 AM EST

Originally Posted By QuietShootr:
Chain link or wood? Chain link usually isn't tight enough to do the 'hit the fence running and launch yourself over' thing that you can do on wood.

I'm assuming it's wood.

The applicant will start the ability test by running to and climbing the 3-Foot Chain Link Fence. Indicators of needed upper and lower body strength.

The applicant will then proceed to the 6-Foot Fence. The applicant will then climb the fence and continue toward the Residential Style Window and climb through it. Indicators of lower, upper body strength, as well as needed jumping ability.

The applicant will proceed to the Commercial Style Window. After climbing through the window the applicant will run to and around the outside of the designated cone. Indicators of upper, lower body strength and needed flexibility to maneuver into restricted areas.

The applicant will proceed to and take hold of the 150-pound Victim (dummy) by reaching under the arm area. Once having gained control of the victim, the applicant will drag the victim backwards for 35 feet, until the (dummy) victim has been dragged passed a specified point, then the applicant will be told to lay the victim down. Indicators of upper, lower body strength, including abdominal and back strength. It is very important that the applicant does not stop until told to by the officer administering the test. If any applicant fails to complete the test in the specified 2-minute time period, they will be disqualified from the application process.

The applicant then will be giving a 30-minute resting period at this point. After the rest period the applicant will be required to perform a 1.5-mile run. The applicant will be required to perform this run in a maximum time of 15-minutes and 37 seconds. This indicates the applicant’s aerobic fitness, regarding pursuit tasks and the use of force issues. The time required for the 1.5-mile run is quantified through the “Cooper Institute of Aerobic Research” in Dallas, Texas. The time was taken from established “Norms” taken nationwide during a 37-year research process. The time of 15:37 represents the percentile of a fair expectation of the national norm. The time is a good indicator that the applicant is trainable to obtain the needed physical and aerobic result in the academy.

Link Posted: 5/4/2004 8:46:06 AM EST

Originally Posted By jadams951:

I'm assuming it's wood.

The applicant will start the ability test by running to and climbing the 3-Foot Chain Link Fence. Indicators of needed upper and lower body strength.

The applicant will then proceed to the 6-Foot Fence. The applicant will then climb the fence and continue toward the Residential Style Window and climb through it. Indicators of lower, upper body strength, as well as needed jumping ability.

The applicant will proceed to the Commercial Style Window. After climbing through the window the applicant will run to and around the outside of the designated cone. Indicators of upper, lower body strength and needed flexibility to maneuver into restricted areas.

The applicant will proceed to and take hold of the 150-pound Victim (dummy) by reaching under the arm area. Once having gained control of the victim, the applicant will drag the victim backwards for 35 feet, until the (dummy) victim has been dragged passed a specified point, then the applicant will be told to lay the victim down. Indicators of upper, lower body strength, including abdominal and back strength. It is very important that the applicant does not stop until told to by the officer administering the test. If any applicant fails to complete the test in the specified 2-minute time period, they will be disqualified from the application process.

The applicant then will be giving a 30-minute resting period at this point. After the rest period the applicant will be required to perform a 1.5-mile run. The applicant will be required to perform this run in a maximum time of 15-minutes and 37 seconds. This indicates the applicant’s aerobic fitness, regarding pursuit tasks and the use of force issues. The time required for the 1.5-mile run is quantified through the “Cooper Institute of Aerobic Research” in Dallas, Texas. The time was taken from established “Norms” taken nationwide during a 37-year research process. The time of 15:37 represents the percentile of a fair expectation of the national norm. The time is a good indicator that the applicant is trainable to obtain the needed physical and aerobic result in the academy.

Not to be an ass, but....How hard is it to control a dummy?
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 11:48:35 AM EST
[Last Edit: 5/4/2004 11:48:59 AM EST by Noname]

...!
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 3:20:22 PM EST
Hey sweet I've got this same thing going on this Saturday. Thanks for the tips!
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 7:12:56 PM EST

Originally Posted By mojo:

I'm assuming it's wood.

Not to be an ass, but....How hard is it to control a dummy?

Beats me
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 7:26:23 PM EST
BY dummy they mean whoever was stupid enough to volunteer
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 7:29:44 PM EST
6foot fence?

Chain link -> Wire cutters? For the course, just climb the thing, stick your feet in the links for leverage.

Wood -> hit it running, as said before...
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 7:55:39 PM EST

I know it sounds stupid but I figured some of you could shed light on any easy way to get over a straight 6 foot fence with no ledges or anything to put your feet on. Got to take a physical agility test tomorrow to try and get on with a different JBT agency and was wondering if someone can suggest something that I haven't thought of to help and make it easier.

I'm not real sure but, I can check with a local 6 year old girl who made it over only to have a Rotwhiler knaw on her ass. That is as soon as she feels up to answering questions. And no, she didn't get the toy she went after.
Top Top