Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/14/2007 12:55:29 PM EDT
Okay, military gurus. I was just curious,

Which is better the RPG or the M72 LAW? As far as preformance goes.

Which is the best?

Bazooka maybe?

Or the Panzerfaust?

Edumacate in the ways of the world's light anti-tank small arms.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 12:57:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Javelin. You're about 40 to 50 years behind on AT weapons if you think the panzerfaust, M72 and RPG-7 are contenders against modern MBTs.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 12:58:30 PM EDT
[#2]
According to the VPC, .50bmg.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 12:58:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Javelin hands down the best.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 1:00:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 1:02:30 PM EDT
[#5]
You can't just say RPG because there are a number of RPG models and they vary in performance. I think the latest RPG model is the RPG-29.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 1:04:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Javelin. You're about 40 to 50 years behind on AT weapons if you think the panzerfaust, M72 and RPG-7 are contenders against modern MBTs.

Honestly I just don't know,

I've seen vids of the Javelin, but didn't realize it was as portable as it is. I thought it was to heavy to be carried by a single soldier, but after googeling I found out other wise.

Is the M72 still in use by the military for soft targets?
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 1:05:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Armbrust!

The only ATW you can shoot with A) folks behind  and b) inside a room

ETA - I know in real life it's now anemic, but I always found the concept of an "urban friendly" ATW really cool.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 1:05:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Javelin in action. Hit the hot linked references.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Debecka_Pass
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 1:06:24 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've seen vids of the Javelin, but didn't realize it was as portable as it is. I thought it was to heavy to be carried by a single soldier, but after googeling I found out other wise.

No the Army use the AT-4 for that mission.  The Marines have the SMAW. Canada still uses the old M72 LAW.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 1:08:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Oh, a RPG-29 did penetrate a Challenger 2 equipped with ERA in Iraq. So, the RPG-29 ranks up there.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 1:11:03 PM EDT
[#11]
The M72 LAW is good for light armor and bunkers. There are probably stockpiles of them but it isn't currently issued. It would still be handy in a urban fight against infantry/bunkers/light vehicles. AT4 is the current issue disposable AT missile.

The US Army has for the past 10+ years lacked a real anti bunker, anti personal weapon. The Ranger regiment use the Carl Gustav 84mm and the Marine Corps uses the SMAW. Both are reloadable and have dedicated gunner/Assistant gunner crews.

You can't always rely on armor to create breaches for you in urban combat. Having a non-disposable anti bunker weapon would be a major asset for the US Army infantry.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 1:11:35 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Oh, a RPG-29 did penetrate a Challenger 2 equipped with ERA in Iraq. So, the RPG-29 ranks up there.

RPG-29 does not have top down attack capability though. Javelin does.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 1:13:16 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The M72 LAW is good for light armor and bunkers. There are probably stockpiles of them but it isn't currently issued. It would still be handy in a urban fight against infantry/bunkers/light vehicles. AT4 is the current issue disposable AT missile.

The US Army has for the past 10+ years lacked a real anti bunker, anti personal weapon. The Ranger regiment use the Carl Gustav 84mm and the Marine Corps uses the SMAW. Both are reloadable and have dedicated gunner/Assistant gunner crews.

You can't always rely on armor to create breaches for you in urban combat. Having a non-disposable anti bunker weapon would be a major asset for the US Army infantry.
When I was in the AT-4 basically replaced the M72 for that mission.  I was under the impression the Army still uses the AT-4 because I have seen pics from Iraq where troops still carried the AT-4
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 1:13:28 PM EDT
[#14]
javelin kicks ass but dam 50lbs!  better have a vehicle transport.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 1:15:02 PM EDT
[#15]
i would want the AT-4-CS
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 1:16:00 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
javelin kicks ass but dam 50lbs!  better have a vehicle transport.
Man up dammit.  The dragon was heavy and all the 11M I worked with carried two for an ambush in addition to their personal weapons.  Hell our M249 guy carried a dragon in addition to his SAW.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 1:16:11 PM EDT
[#17]
There is a new version of the AT-4 that you can shoot indoors.

Baldy the Wonder SEAL shot one.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 1:18:00 PM EDT
[#18]
every time .mil channel does something that features the javelin my pee-pee tingles.

somebody did a thread one time on what weapon to take back and effect a change on WW2.

I voted a javelin with reloads in the midst of the tank battles European theater.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 1:19:03 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

just said that
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 1:23:29 PM EDT
[#20]

Artist's rendering of the RPC in use:

(Here's hoping they don't change the links after I post this... god, getting goatse'ed would suck)
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 1:24:48 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

RPG-29 does not have top down attack capability though. Javelin does.

Yeah, but it penetrated the frontal armor of the Challenger and injured Crew.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 1:25:05 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

just said that

Yeah my computer is running slow so i did not see that you had posted it. sorry
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 1:33:06 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No the Army use the AT-4 for that mission.  The Marines have the SMAW. Canada still uses the old M72 LAW.

Yep. I'm pretty sure i saw pics of canadian troops carrying LAWs. I've also seen pics of troops carrying bigger tubes, and I'm wondering if it was an AT-4 or if it was an ERYX tube. We also field the 84mm CG, and I've read on wiki we agreed to buy the javelin, but coming from wiki, take it with a grain of salt.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 1:35:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Spike or Javelin.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 1:41:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top