Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/28/2001 7:13:32 PM EDT
Well your trigger finger of course! I have a friend and we were talking today about our glocks. He is talking about getting rid of his M17. Well yesterday he doing the pinch check (I think it is called) to make sure he has a bullet in the chamber and BOOM! Off goes the gun. So I just asked for him to show me how he did it (with an empty gun of course, I checked it first). Well he starts to do it and has his finger in on the trigger. I about fell over! Hell the momentum of the slide probably made it fire with his finger on the trigger, plus the fact he had a 3.5 trigger installed. I just couldn't believe it as this guy has many more years of experience with firearms and I look to him a lot before making most gun purchases. It just never seems to amaze me of how some people deal with their firearms. Luckily no one was hurt besides a hole in his shed. I love the glock and think it is an excellent gun all around. As with any gun though it needs to approached with respect and knowledge. Okay I'm off the soap box.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 9:43:14 PM EDT
[#1]
edblevi: thank you for taking the time to post this thread.  I see that your friend violated the "keep your finger off the trigger, until you are ready to fire."  I guess that is why you should always point your "gun in a safe direction" rule.  It can happen to anyone of us, just one moment of carelessnes, BANG!
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 9:51:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Any Negligent Discharge would cause me to do a "Pinch Check"!!!
Whatta pantload!
We really do need to keep an eye on the other guy, even when the other guy is the "expert".
Real glad to hear nobody got injured.

BTW, the best safety is 'between your ears'...
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 10:53:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Too many Steven Segal movies
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 3:53:10 AM EDT
[#4]
What's the best safety?
What's the best weapon?
BusMaster007 nailed it "between your ears"

BTW it's Press-check, fyi.

Mike
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 4:07:11 AM EDT
[#5]
A Gun is [b]ALWAYS[/b] loaded.  Even when it is empty, it is loaded.  

Link Posted: 8/29/2001 4:08:47 AM EDT
[#6]
The only safety I would ever trust is not a hardware solution it is a wetware solution.

No external safety is ever 100%, you have to practice trigger control awareness our eventually you will have a negligent discharge.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 5:45:50 AM EDT
[#7]
This is a very worthy discussion to be having, thanks ed!

Speaking of Glock slides and trigger fingers, I was SO'ing a stage at a recent IDPA match and a guy, whom I KNOW knows what he's doing when it comes to shooting, had a ND with his new G35.  He was just completing a speed reload from slide lock behind cover.  He grabbed the rear of the slide and when it went home a round went off into the trees.  His finger was off during the reload, but he put it on the trigger after he let go of the slide with just a little too much pressure.  He felt pretty bad about it and took the penalty - which was nothing compared to how hard he must've been on himself I'm sure.  But it helped serve as a reminder.

I think people press check much too often anyway - don't you know if your gun is loaded or not?  It's a dangerous habit IMNSHO!
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 6:11:14 AM EDT
[#8]
My gun is *always* loaded, otherwise it is not a gun, it is a paperweight.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 6:16:59 AM EDT
[#9]
For us uninformed, what is a pinch check or a press check[?]
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 7:02:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top