Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2009 3:30:36 PM EDT
The transaxle in my '01 Impala had a significant failure in the final drive area (maby a CV shaft snapped off inside the housing)
Most likly it'll have to come out for repair or replacement:
Any tips/tricks?
Drop the TA only or the whole front package? or???
I make a living working on medium to heavy trucks and have finally learned to ask others who've done the job how to make it easier.  
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 3:36:30 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 5:52:49 PM EDT
While I don't have a lift, I do have a lifting crain and a transmission 3,000lb transmission jack that I use for HD truck transmissions.
Looks fairly straight forward:  drain, disconnect the shift linkage and hoses, pull the CV shafts, mounts, converter bolts, slide left and out.
Having just installed new wheel bearings and discovering a bad CV boot I changed that shaft: It was some Chinese product sold outright, tomorow I'l pull it and see if it sheared off inside.....it sounded like something shearing off like an axle shaft, or spider gear pin.
I know better than to buy crappy parts, but didn't have much of an option at the time.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 2:40:40 AM EDT
On the 4T65 used in the Impala, you can pull the final drive without taking out the trans. Where the right axle goes in the tran, that end has a 4 bolt cover on it, pull the axle, then the cover, with a pan underneath, then your home free, the final drive carrier pulls right out.

I did a shit load of these on 01 Impalas, GM made some noisey final drives then.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 4:43:11 AM EDT
Originally Posted By DonofKalifornia:
On the 4T65 used in the Impala, you can pull the final drive without taking out the trans. Where the right axle goes in the tran, that end has a 4 bolt cover on it, pull the axle, then the cover, with a pan underneath, then your home free, the final drive carrier pulls right out.

I did a shit load of these on 01 Impalas, GM made some noisey final drives then.

Top Top