User Panel

Posted: 7/10/2002 6:34:46 PM EDT
I got's to know [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 6:38:33 PM EDT
[#1]
it takes 33 of 'em to equal a decent beer?  [;)]
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 6:43:16 PM EDT
[#2]
On a scale of 1 to 10, amoung domestic beer, the Rock scores a 33.
DanM
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 6:46:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 6:46:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 6:46:30 PM EDT
[#5]
ALright, here's a link to their web site...but you need to be 21....you guys ARE 21..right?

[url]www.rollingrock.com[/url]
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 6:55:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I went to school in PA and the story I heard was when the beer first came out the label was proofed (read for grammar, etc.) and contained 33 words, so the proof person wrote that on the label for some reason and it got included as a mistake and it's stayed there since.

Milan
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 7:00:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Why do they charge an Import price for the domestic beer.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 7:04:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Here is a twist, look up "freemason" on the web
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 7:06:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Prices must vary, here in Virginia the stuff is dirt cheap. Here they come in longneck bottles but I remember years ago they used to come in small little 7 oz? bottle. We used to call those 'green grenades'....ECS
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 7:10:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 7:13:01 PM EDT
[#11]
AIMLESS is right,and after 33 of them you will piss like a race horse!

Bob [8D]
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 7:14:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

It comes from Pennsylvania. That's sort of like importing it isn't it? All I know is that among my friends on your 33rd birthday you must drink Rolling Rock.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 7:14:39 PM EDT
[#13]
When I first started drinking beer I could down Rolling Rock no problem, bottle after bottle of the stuff.

I haven't touched the stuff in over 4 years though cause it seems to taste AWFUL to me now.   I really don't think my tastes have changed that drastically and it really used to be one of my favorite beers, I just think somewhere along the line they changed the way they brew the stuff even if it was slight.

Now, as best as I can describe it, Rolling Rock tastes like "burnt" if it were an official flavor and was possible to put it into a bottle.

RollingRock=BurntBeer
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 7:19:04 PM EDT
[#14]
This is interesting if my memory is correct.

Back in the sixties the main beer of South Vietnam was called Bam de Bam.  Any Vietnam vet knows what I'm talking about (if I spelled it correctly).  It tasted like shit but it got you drunk quickly.  The interesting thing is that Bam de Bam is Vietnamese for 33!
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 7:27:22 PM EDT
[#15]
[url]http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a2_044.html[/url]

"Mr. Tito's family owned Latrobe from the end of Prohibition until the company was sold to an outfit in Connecticut in 1985. After some prompting, he told me the sordid truth.

Based on some old notes and discussions with family members now dead, Mr. Tito believes that putting the 33 on the label was nothing more or less than a horrible accident. It happened like this:

When the Titos decided to introduce the Rolling Rock brand around 1939, they couldn't agree on a slogan for the back of the bottle. Some favored a long one, some a short one. At length somebody came up with the 33-word beauty quoted above, and to indicate its modest length, scribbled a big "33" on it.

More argument ensued, until finally somebody said, dadgummit, boys, let's just use this one and be done with it, and sent the 33-word version off to the bottle maker.

Unfortunately, no one realized that the big 33 wasn't supposed to be part of the design until 50 jillion returnable bottles had been made up with the errant label painted permanently on their backsides. (I suppose this bespeaks a certain inattentiveness on the part of the Tito family, but I am telling you this story just as it was told to me.)

This being the Depression and all, the Titos were in no position to throw out a lot of perfectly good bottles. So they decided to make the best of things by concocting a yarn about how the 33 stood for the year Prohibition was repealed.

In retrospect, this was a stroke of marketing genius. Next to cereal boxes, beer labels are probably the most thoroughly scrutinized artifacts in all of civilization, owing to the propensity of beer drinkers to stare morosely at them at three o'clock in the morning.

The Rolling Rock "33" has baffled beer lovers for generations, and accordingly has become the stuff of barroom legend. I have letters claiming that the number has something to do with a satanic ritual, that it was the age of Christ when he died, even that it signifies the number of glass-lined tanks in the Latrobe plant. "

Jonathan
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 7:28:15 PM EDT
[#16]
I got this one.

When Rolling Rock was first going to be bottled and sold, they got their labels printed by a company that charged by the word. The guys sat down and came up with that "From the glass lined vats of old Latrobe..." statement for the bottle, and wrote it all down on a piece of paper. Then they counted up the words: 33 words, and wrote that number down on the sheet of paper that ended up getting sent to the printer. The "33" got put on the first run of bottles, and has been there ever since.

You have to know this stuff if you grow up and go to college in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 7:33:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

It comes from Pennsylvania. That's sort of like importing it isn't it? All I know is that among my friends on your 33rd birthday you must drink Rolling Rock.
View Quote

....from the glass lined tanks in ole' Latrobe we tender....blah blah blah.....

mer322, duh..... 223REM....too many BBR's
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 7:49:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Rolling Rock Beer:
Death In A Tall Green Bottle.

Jay
[img]http://www.commspeed.net/jmurray/images/iroc-cop.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 7:55:09 PM EDT
[#19]
The "33" actually has two meanings. First, if you try to drink it at any temperature above 33F you will spit it out and buy a real beer. The second meaning is for the fact that after 33 tries they still couldn't make a beer worth drinking, since they ran out of R&D money the batch number 33 was given the honor of being labeled "The green death"

[beer]
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 8:03:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The "33" actually has two meanings. First, if you try to drink it at any temperature above 33F you will spit it out and buy a real beer. The second meaning is for the fact that after 33 tries they still couldn't make a beer worth drinking, since they ran out of R&D money the batch number 33 was given the honor of being labeled "The green death"
[beer]
View Quote

Green Death is what people in the midwest call "Special Export" beer.  I always thought the "33" was for the year Prohibition ended (beer was allowed first).

GunLvr
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 8:05:44 PM EDT
[#21]
I grew up mostly in Ohio and Rolling Rock was always reffered to as "the Green Death"

[beer]
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 9:17:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
This is interesting if my memory is correct.

Back in the sixties the main beer of South Vietnam was called Bam de Bam.  Any Vietnam vet knows what I'm talking about (if I spelled it correctly).  It tasted like shit but it got you drunk quickly.  The interesting thing is that Bam de Bam is Vietnamese for 33!
View Quote

Bau mi Bau?

Scott

Link Posted: 7/11/2002 6:25:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Flash66-Yep.

I don't remember if the VN name was Bam de Bam, but I do recall that the label had a big (red?) "33" across it.

Ever drink Tiger Beer? It had a snarling tiger on the label. It did it's job well.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 6:53:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
When I first started drinking beer I could down Rolling Rock no problem, bottle after bottle of the stuff.

I haven't touched the stuff in over 4 years though cause it seems to taste AWFUL to me now.   I really don't think my tastes have changed that drastically and it really used to be one of my favorite beers, I just think somewhere along the line they changed the way they brew the stuff even if it was slight.

Now, as best as I can describe it, Rolling Rock tastes like "burnt" if it were an official flavor and was possible to put it into a bottle.

RollingRock=BurntBeer
View Quote

I think somewhere along the line, they changed to formula.  I lived in PA back in the 60s and drank it when it still came in thos 7oz "Pony Bottles."  It was a really good beer.  Had some here in TX a few years back, and it really tasted funky.  My tastes have changed somewhat, but not to that extent.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 6:57:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 7:12:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Ah yes, Vietnamese beer...scum on the top, crud at the bottom...ya had to drink the middle. As far as Rolling Rock, we made that in the early '80's when they were on strike. We were also told to pack heat as the good old Pennsy boys may come to pay us a visit. We did have a tanker from Latrobe filled with "mountain pure water", which we used, 'cause it said so on the label. It was rumored to come from a fire hydrant somewhere in that town. And we had to get rice as that was also in Rolling Rock's brew. Finally, the CO2 level in their formula was so high, it blew the safeties on our fermenting tanks on a regular basis. Normally, we made Schmidt's, Duke and P.O.C and a few other off brands. Because we could drink all we wanted there (a story unto itself), I discreetly did my 5th of Rum each day...shhhh.
View Quote

Wow, you're really refreshing my memories of rot gut beer.  You mean "Schmidt's of Philadelphia" wasn't really made there.  That was a really awful beer, as was Duke.  I don't think I've ever had P.O.C.  Did you make Old Reading as well?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top