Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/29/2006 1:23:09 PM EDT
Hello everyone,
   I've recently taken a deep interest in American WWII firearms.  I'd really like to ad an M1 Garand or M14 to my collection, and wanted to know if any companies make a replica version.  Main reason being that I like my guns to be bangers, not hangers, and I don't want to risk damaging a true WWII relic. That being said, are there any companies that make a very accurate M1 Garand replica, or civilian legal M14 replica? And if so, does anyone have any personal experience with likes or dislikes with this gun?  Any help would be great .
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 1:24:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Fulton Armory or Springfield Firearms.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 1:24:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Springfield Arms makes one. Dunno how 'good' it is, but it is insanely expensive. Just get a CMP and shoot the hell out of it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 1:26:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Springfield Inc makes both of those.

But you'd be much better served with a Garand from the CMP.  --->  www.odcmp.com

I have a 2003 Springfield Inc M1A that shoots like a dream and has never failed.  But I'm sure the Springfield haters will chime in shortly.  

ETA: you also might want to check out the M1/M1A forum under armory.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 1:26:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Get one from the CMP.  No reason you can't shoot it just because it's a real Garand.  And it'll be cheaper than whatever you get from Springfield or (gag) Fulton Armory.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 1:27:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Aye, if you want i'll sell you my Springfield Replica M1.

$950 looks just as good as the day I got her.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 1:28:00 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Springfield Arms makes one. Dunno how 'good' it is, but it is insanely expensive. Just get a CMP and shoot the hell out of it.

what he said...
why spend 900 bucks for a replica when you can get a real "banger" for 300-500?
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 1:29:01 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Get one from the CMP.  No reason you can't shoot it just because it's a real Garand.  And it'll be cheaper than whatever you get from Springfield or (gag) Fulton Armory.

I agree, get one from CMP.  You cannot really bang around one of those Garands any worse then they have already been.  If you take good care of them and use surplus ammunition, there is really nothing that you can do to them.

I would recommend any CMP rifle over a newer one and then spend the extra money on ammunition.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 1:31:43 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Main reason being that I like my guns to be bangers, not hangers, and I don't want to risk damaging a true WWII relic. That being said, are there any companies that make a very accurate M1 Garand replica, or civilian legal M14 replica? And if so, does anyone have any personal experience with likes or dislikes with this gun?  Any help would be great .

There are very few true relic M1 Garands, save for some sniper M1Cs(these are are true collectors worth tens of thousands of dollars because they are very rare) & M1Ds(these are much more common, but still in the realm of $3,000 for a true USGI).  You will know that when you encounter a collector's piece because the price will be pretty high.  Most of the rifles from the CMP/DCM are shooters and not wall-hangers.

There very few real USGI M14s in civilian hands because the ATF regards them as machine guns(under the rule "once a machine gun, always a machine gun").  There many manufactures of M14-clones, LRB manufacturring, Springfield Armory, Fulton Arms, etc
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 1:34:21 PM EDT
[#9]
First, you are not going to add an M14 to your collection.  The M14 was select fire and they weren't sold to the public as surplus.

The ONLY Garand to have is a USGI one and the best place to get those is CMP.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 1:38:05 PM EDT
[#10]
CMP, and its delivered to your door!

What more could anyone want?
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 1:41:07 PM EDT
[#11]
CMP
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 2:29:26 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

That it a pretty tempting deal, but I'll have to pass for now.  I'm just starting to look into these guns, and don't want to impulse buy myself out of nearly $1,000.  Plus, I like to space out my gun purchases quite a bit, and usually spend ample time doing research about guns long before I buy them.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 2:34:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Doesnt one have to compete in competitions to own a rifle from cmp?
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 2:38:27 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That it a pretty tempting deal, but I'll have to pass for now.  I'm just starting to look into these guns, and don't want to impulse buy myself out of nearly $1,000.  Plus, I like to space out my gun purchases quite a bit, and usually spend ample time doing research about guns long before I buy them.  

Get a CMP/DCM gun.  I think they are something like $500.  These are decent quality shooters, and is probably not a collectors item.

Stlkid: You just have to do one shoot now.  Before under the old DCM, you had to do 2.  Thank you Sen Ted Kennedy, in the process of trying to ban guns, you actually helped us by giving us the CMP.  In the old days under the DCM it took at least one year to get your rifle, under the CMP is measured in months.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 2:41:54 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Get a CMP/DCM gun.  I think they are something like $500.  These are decent quality shooters, and is probably not a collectors item.

Stlkid: You just have to do one shoot now.  Before under the old DCM, you had to do 2.  Thank you Sen Ted Kennedy, in the process of trying to ban guns, you actually helped us by giving us the CMP.  In the old days under the DCM it took at least one year to get your rifle, under the CMP is measured in months.

I do believe that if you are a vet, you don't have to shoot any competitions.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 2:44:28 PM EDT
[#16]
You'd be nuts to buy a commercial rifle when real Garands are to be had for $500.  First the only way to get a WWII rifle that is original and pristine would mean you'd have to rob a museum or buy a time machine and join the Army circa 1942.  

Every Garand you will buy has been either rebuilt, rebarreled, reparked, restocked, had the guts swapped a hundred times, etc.  There are millions of them.  Only a handful are real collectors items.  No need to worry about ruining a war hero.  Most likely if you got a WWII rifle the reciever is the only original part.  There are rifles that are correct but they are rare.  And there's no guarantee that they are "original".  The Greeks returned a few NIB HRA's that are the only M1's known to exist in this state outside of a select few collectors.  The CMP auctioned a couple that went $6k+  IIRC.  But you can get a nice collector grade that is amlmost new and original for $1400 but it's 1950's vintage.  I doubt you'd find a NIB or equivalent WWII M1 anywhere..
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 2:45:55 PM EDT
[#17]
If you are looking for a Club to belong to, send a IM to The_Beer_Slayer and he can get you hooked up for a fraction of the cost of joining the GCA
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:05:45 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
If you are looking for a Club to belong to, send a IM to The_Beer_Slayer and he can get you hooked up for a fraction of the cost of joining the GCA

What's that ? GCA is only $25 a year.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:14:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Thaks for all the info.  This has been really helpful.  It's reasons like this why I love this site .
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:18:32 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Doesnt one have to compete in competitions to own a rifle from cmp?

No.  A CCW will do.  That was the main reason I got my CCW, for a nice Springfield Garand from the CMP, delivered to my front door.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:21:31 PM EDT
[#21]
If you are a vet, your DD214 and membership in VFW is all you need.  

Ask me how I know.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:50:53 PM EDT
[#22]
CMP
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top