Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2010 11:37:58 PM EDT
Just had the internet reconnected at my college house. When it was cancelled in May everything worked fine. Signed up for the same plan last week, they said it would take a few days to be available. Got it activated now, and can download OK for the most part (speed tests are running at 10 Mbps), but my upload speed is virtually non-existent. Speed tests completely fail when they try to do an upload test. I'll be surprised if I can even post this thread. It took me 10+ minutes to finally attach a file to an email I'm sending.

Just trying to mess with the router configuration now. Disabled wireless connection (I'm plugged in on a desktop right now); didn't help. Tried turning off firewall. Still nothing.

This is really annoying considering I need this to be functioning for school work.

Any ideas?

ETA: Well it only took about 10 seconds to post the thread, but I'm trying to attach another small Word file to an email and it's still failing. Speed tests are still failing on upload too.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 11:42:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Upload is probably capped so you're SOL.  What's you're actual speedtest upload result?
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 11:48:25 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Upload is probably capped so you're SOL.  What's you're actual speedtest upload result?

It says "Upload Test Error". It can't even complete it. I was trying to add an ETA to the original post but it won't even go through. Hoping this reply can...

Is this something on my end or a DSL provider problem?
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 11:48:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Try this:

http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks

Edit: Usually you have to have your router running for a while for it to handshake with the CO and make adjustments.

Sometimes it takes a day or two.

If you have another computer and produce the same results that is probably it. Process of elimination is the best route for this kind of thing.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:10:43 AM EDT
[#4]
I think I may have found the problem. I feel kind of like an idiot because I should have tested this sooner.

I was running Cat5 from the router to a switch in my room, and then two more Cat5 cables went to two different desks in my room (I had been plugged into one of these cables). I just took the cable that was running directly from the router and plugged it into my computer. Upload speed is now actually testable and is about what it was last semester. So apparently my MiLAN switch is toast. Weird that it would still allow download but basically block me from uploading much of anything? Not techy enough to understand how that could happen when it's all running through the same cables, but I just know it works for now.

As I'm typing this I just lost internet connection entirely and then it came back on by itself- didn't touch anything. I'm wondering if I should just let this sit overnight and come back tomorrow with a clear head. It's fairly functional now, so I can try different cables and what not tomorrow. I wonder if I have a bad cable. Maybe it just needs some time to do the "handshake" stuff you mentioned.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:19:10 AM EDT
[#5]
There's a reason why even at home, I pretty much refuse to run consumer-grade routers and switches.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:42:57 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Try this:

http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks

Edit: Usually you have to have your router running for a while for it to handshake with the CO and make adjustments.

Sometimes it takes a day or two.

If you have another computer and produce the same results that is probably it. Process of elimination is the best route for this kind of thing.

I'm trying the tweak thing to see if it works.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top