Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/6/2005 11:21:28 PM EDT
I'mma cook dinner for a date this weekend and want to cook an impressive, fast and delicious 3 course meal for dinner.  I was thinking:

Grilled Shrimp Scampi
New York Strip (her favorite cut), stir fried veggie medley and garlic mashed potatoes
Tiramisu (her favorite dessert)

What are your suggestions for a romantic dinner and the recipes to go along.  I definately have to do a tiramisu, it's her favorite and I dont have a recipe so I could use one.  But I could use suggestions for a starter and main course (with side dishes).
Link Posted: 6/6/2005 11:24:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I've always liked toasted garlic bread with melted cheese and diced tomatos on top.
Link Posted: 6/6/2005 11:25:54 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I've always liked toasted garlic bread with melted cheese and diced tomatos on top.

I do a killer brushetta.

French bread baguette
buttered
diced garlic
melted motz
fresh basil leaves
sliced fresh tomatos on top and grilled under the broiler til the cheese melts
Link Posted: 6/6/2005 11:26:51 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I do a killer brushetta.

French bread baguette
buttered
diced garlic
melted motz

Thats what its called. I'm frickin retarded tonight. Except I put the tomatos on last so their still cool.
Link Posted: 6/6/2005 11:30:15 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I do a killer brushetta.

French bread baguette
buttered
diced garlic
melted motz

Thats what its called. I'm frickin retarded tonight. Except I put the tomatos on last so their still cool.

What about a main course?

Keep in mind I want to take her to the grocery store to shop for produce before hand, get some fresh veggies and pick out some cuts of meat.  

I want to do grilled steaks of some kind because steaks are hard to screw up as we both like them med-rare.  But i want to do some thing nice and easy (that I can prepare before like fresh mashed potatoes)  Well, for potatoes, all I have to do is boil them and then mash them up in a pot with half/half, butter and seasonings.

Also, when posting a suggestion on a main course, post a wine recommendation and keep the suggetions for thunderbird or MD2020 to a minimum.

Link Posted: 6/6/2005 11:35:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I think you've pretty much nailed the menu..  (at least )  

Don't forget a decent bottle of wine, or her preferred adult beverage.

It's not always so much the food, but more-so the effort you've taken to prepare it.  

I remember making a simple salad, broiling 2 steaks (15 minutes each side), and zapping a coupla' potatoes (served with all the goodies - butter, sour cream, bacon, & cheese).  Lights low, radio on, etc, etc., ...

We've been married for 14 years.  

Have fun.  

Link Posted: 6/6/2005 11:35:42 PM EDT
[#6]

1st: Lobster Bisque
2nd: Filet Mignon with onions and Bernaise sauce (and possibly a potato dish)
3rd: Most appropriate maybe some kind of chocolate mousse, or rich chocolate cake - but I would go for a Baked Alaska.  Relatively easy to make, but people are always impressed, and think it's a big deal.

Link Posted: 6/6/2005 11:35:47 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I do a killer brushetta.

French bread baguette
buttered
diced garlic
melted motz

Keep in mind I want to take her to the grocery store to shop for produce before hand, get some fresh veggies and pick out some cuts of meat.  

I want to do grilled steaks of some kind because steaks are hard to screw up as we both like them med-rare.  But i want to do some thing nice and easy (that I can prepare before like fresh mashed potatoes)  Well, for potatoes, all I have to do is boil them and then mash them up in a pot with half/half, butter and seasonings.

Also, when posting a suggestion on a main course, post a wine recommendation and keep the suggetions for thunderbird or MD2020 to a minimum.

Main course? Pasta.
Link Posted: 6/6/2005 11:35:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Hire a personal chef for the evening
Link Posted: 6/6/2005 11:38:46 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Screw that, I'm a damn good cook!
Link Posted: 6/6/2005 11:39:02 PM EDT
[#10]
For dessert though, I'd make my special cheesecake. Its a bit labor intensive, but well worth the effort.

Remember, anyone can cook food. Dessert is what wins hearts.
Link Posted: 6/6/2005 11:40:36 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

make homemade ravioli, chicks love that
Link Posted: 6/6/2005 11:40:53 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
3rd: Most appropriate maybe some kind of chocolate mousse, or rich chocolate cake - but I would go for a Baked Alaska.  Relatively easy to make, but people are always impressed, and think it's a big deal.

Recipes!  Especially for the Lobster Bisque!  That sounds badass!

I could use a recipe for Bernaise sauce.  I can handle the Mignon and carmelized onions.

Anyone got a good recipe for Tiramisu?  (with something in place of Grande Marnier like rum?)
Link Posted: 6/6/2005 11:41:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Fettucine with long thin chicken strips and thick buttery garlic sauce.
I make that once in a while with a date and it indeed gets results.

Link Posted: 6/6/2005 11:41:37 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
For dessert though, I'd make my special cheesecake. Its a bit labor intensive, but well worth the effort.

+1000000000000
Link Posted: 6/6/2005 11:41:46 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I do a killer brushetta.

French bread baguette
buttered
diced garlic
melted motz

Main course? Pasta.

I make a killer Chicken Pesto too.  But I've made that for her already.
Link Posted: 6/6/2005 11:42:41 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

make homemade ravioli, chicks love that

Recipe FOOL!

I can get fresh pasta sheets at a local resturant.....Roccos, they specialize in fresh pasta.  But I can do cookie cutters instead of a ravioli press.  Need a recipe for the filling and a sauce!
Link Posted: 6/6/2005 11:43:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Test tag
Link Posted: 6/6/2005 11:47:16 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I can do some small, personal cheesecakes, I have several small (4 inch) cassarole dishes.  I can get the philadelphia filling and graham cracker crusts.
Link Posted: 6/6/2005 11:50:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Bernaise:

2 oz white wine vinegar
2 oz cider vinegar
1/2 shallot <sliced >                          <-----reduce in a ss pot, till almost dry(a little liquid left in pot)
1 bay leaf
2 tarragon stems
5-6 black peppercorns
2 white peppercorns

2 eggs     <-------separate the yolk from the albumen (white) of 2 eggs, place in ss bowl and warm over double boiler

strain vinegar reduction into warm egg yolks (don't let yolks get too warm, they will cook!!)

melt 12 oz unsalted butter.  slowly drizzle into bowl of above combined ingredients while whisking to emulsify butter into egg mixture.

keep warm/ serve immediately

add 1 oz fresh chopped tarragon, tobasco to taste, and a pinch of Kosher salt to taste

use sauce liberally on grilled meats (beef, elk, etc.)

Link Posted: 6/6/2005 11:52:37 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Bernaise:

2 oz white wine vinegar
2 oz cider vinegar
1/2 shallot <sliced >                          <-----reduce in a ss pot, till almost dry(a little liquid left in pot)
1 bay leaf
2 tarragon stems
5-6 black peppercorns
2 white peppercorns

2 eggs     <-------separate the yolk from the albumen (white) of 2 eggs, place in ss bowl and warm over double boiler

strain vinegar reduction into warm egg yolks (don't let yolks get too warm, they will cook!!)

melt 12 oz unsalted butter.  slowly drizzle into bowl of above combined ingredients while whisking to emulsify butter into egg mixture.

add 1 oz fresh chopped tarragon, tobasco to taste, and a pinch of Kosher salt to taste

OMG, isn't there something in a package I can doctor up with fresh tarragon and shallots?

Link Posted: 6/6/2005 11:53:14 PM EDT
[#21]
taggg
Link Posted: 6/6/2005 11:53:25 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can do some small, personal cheesecakes, I have several small (4 inch) cassarole dishes.  I can get the philadelphia filling and graham cracker crusts.

Ohhhh buddy. We need far more then that.
Your gonna need lemons, lime, fresh key lime juice, eagle brand sweetened condennsed milk, strawberries, sour cream, suger, powdered sugar, salt, grahm crackers, eggs.....Thats all I can think of right off.
I'd have to look at my recipe when I get home if you really want it.
Link Posted: 6/6/2005 11:53:48 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Bernaise:

2 oz white wine vinegar
2 oz cider vinegar
1 bay leaf
2 tarragon stems
5-6 black peppercorns
2 white peppercorns

OMG, isn't there something in a package I can doctor up?

yeah, it's called knorr..
Link Posted: 6/6/2005 11:56:32 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm confused. You've already said you are GOING to have steaks. You said you HAVE to have tiramisu for desert. You've already said you are doing potatoes. What suggestions are you looking for? How much do you plan on feeding this girl?
Link Posted: 6/6/2005 11:57:46 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your gonna need lemons, lime, fresh key lime juice, eagle brand sweetened condennsed milk, strawberries, sour cream, suger, powdered sugar, salt, grahm crackers, eggs.....Thats all I can think of right off.

Cripes, made from scratch?  BTW, she's allergic to citric acid, it burns her mouth.  Can't be having that, can I?

Ever done a Tiramisu before?  It's her fave.
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 12:00:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Tiramisu
There's gotta' be an easier way...  
This seems like it would take hours alone, just for the dessert.  

Consider another cajun favorite, Bananas Foster.  Recipe follows, that at least sounds entertaining, and not so time consuming....

Emeril's Tiramisu Recipe

Emeril Lagasse is one of New Orleans' top chefs and host of the TV Food Network's "The Essence of Emeril." Here is his recipe for basic Tiramisu, including his hot sponge cake. According to the information on the website, this recipe makes 2 dessert portions. Emeril also made his Tiramisu on his new show, "Emeril Live," but he made some adjustments to the "mascarpone cream" recipe below: (1) He substituted Marsala wine for the rum, (2) he used 3 tablespoons of sugar instead of 6, and (3) he used 3 cups of heavy cream instead of 1 cup. It's your call!

Ingredients: Hot Milk Sponge

* MILK, 1/4 cup
   * BUTTER, 2 teaspoons butter
   * FLOUR, 1-1/4 cups
   * BAKING POWDER, 1 teaspoon
   * EGGS, 3
   * SUGAR, 1-1/4 cups
   * EGG YOLKS, 3

Ingredients: Mascarpone Cream

* ESPRESSO COFFEE, 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons
   * HOT WATER, 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons
   * GRAND MARNIER, 3 tablespoons
   * MASCARPONE, 1 cup
   * RUM, 2 tablespoons (Substituted Marsala wine on "Emeril Live")
   * EGGS, 3 separated
   * SUGAR, 6 tablespoons (Substituted 3 tablespoons on "Emeril Live")
   * HEAVY CREAM, 1 cup (Substituted 3 cups on "Emeril Live")
   * VANILLA, 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
   * SALT, a pinch
   * COCOA POWDER, enough to sprinkle
   * POWDERED SUGAR, enough to garnish

Directions: Sponge Cake

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Grease and lightly flour an 8 by 11-inch sheet tray.
  3. Heat milk and butter until the butter melts.
  4. Stir the flour and baking powder together.
  5. Put the eggs, sugar, and yolks in a bowl and set over a hot water bath, whisking until the egg mixture triples in size.
  6. Fold in the flour mixture and the milk.
  7. Pour into the prepared pan.
  8. Bake for 10 minutes.

Directions: Mascarpone Cream

1. Combine the espresso, water and the Grand Marnier, set aside.
  2. Combine the mascarpone and the rum in a large bowl, beat until smooth.
  3. In a medium bowl, beat the eggs yolks, and 3 tablespoons of the sugar together until smooth.
  4. Set over a hot water bath and beat for 3 minutes until light and foamy.
  5. Remove from the heat, and without waiting beat this mixture into the mascarpone mixture. Set aside.
  6. Whip the cream until the cream holds a firm shape.
  7. Fold in vanilla.
  8. In two small additions, fold about 1/3 of the mascarpone mixture into the whipped cream.
  9. Then fold the whipped cream into the remaining mascarpone mixture. Set aside.
 10. Beat the egg whites and salt on medium until foamy.
 11. Increase the speed and add the remaining 3 tablespoons sugar, beat until glossy, not dry.
 12. Fold the egg whites, all at once into the mascarpone.

Directions: Assembly

1. Cut the sponge cake in half crosswise.
  2. Place in a pan large enough to fit the halved sponge cake snugly.
  3. Moisten the cake with half of the espresso mixture.
  4. Top with half of the mascarpone mixture, spreading it out evenly.
  5. Sprinkle generously with cocoa powder, and powdered sugar.
  6. Top with the other half of the sponge cake layer.
  7. Moisten with the remaining espresso mixture.
  8. Top with the remaining mascarpone mixture, spreading evenly.
  9. Sprinkle generously with the cocoa powder and powdered sugar.
 10. Refrigerate, uncovered, for 2 hours.

BANANAS FOSTER

A quintessential New Orleans dessert, and a favorite among most locals.

* 4 tbsp. butter (1/2 stick)
       * 1 cup dark brown sugar
       * 2 bananas
       * 2 oz. banana liqueur
       * 4 oz. dark rum
       * Ground cinnamon
       * Vanilla ice cream (optional)

This dish cannot be prepared in the kitchen. It must be performed, in front of your guests. Use a chafing dish, and some kind of portable heat like Sterno. Don't be sloppy, and keep a fire extinguisher handy. There's no need to burn the house down just for dessert, but this really must be done right. I learned to cook this dish from Chef Joe Cahn at the New Orleans School of Cooking, and he spun dire tales of what befell those who dared sequester themselves in the kitchen when making Bananas Foster. Seriously, bad gris-gris will befall you if you deprive your guests of the spectacle. Plus, they'll talk for years about how cool you are to have made this for their dessert.

First, you should make some preparations. Peel a thin strip of peel from the bananas, and use your knife to slice the banana crossways into coins. Then replace the banana peel so that it looks untouched (as best as you can, anyway). This way, you can pretend to "peel" your bananas, and dump them into the put already cut, as if by magic. Cheesy, you ask? Well, it still looks cool, particularly if you're really nonchalant when you do this in front of your guests. If you insist, you can slice the bananas the classical way, quartering them by slicing thm lengthwise and then in half. I still think the other way is cooler.

Put your ground cinnamon into some kind of non-standard container, or even a little muslin bag, the better to "convince" your guests that it is, in fact, not cinnamon but voodoo dust, scraped from the tomb of Marie Laveau at midnight on All Soul's Day ... some kind of delightfully corny crap like that. Also, I recommend taking a cinnamon stick and grinding it fresh in a spice or coffee grinder instead of using pre-ground cinnamon. Sieve the result through a tea ball strainer to remove the larger pieces which won't grind finely. This will maximize the fresh, aromatic cinnamon flavor. If you use your coffee grinder, it'll also make your coffee taste great.

Now, to business ...

Melt the butter and add the brown sugar to form a creamy paste. Let this mixture caramelize over the heat for about 5 minutes. Stir in the banana liqueur and rum. Heat until the liquor is warmed, about three minutes. Add the bananas, cook for about 1 - 2 minutes, then ignite with a flourish. Here's the best way to do this:

Using a long, bent-handled ladle, scoop up some of the warm liquor. Hold it a foot or two above the chafing dish and ignite the liquor in the ladle. VERY CAREFULLY, pour the liquor into the dish. A column of flame will descend from the ladle into the dish, which will ignite with a marvelous *poof*! Keep a pal nearby, subtly wielding a fire extinguisher. Try not to become a human torch in the process.

Agitate to keep the flame burning, and add a few pinches of "voodoo dust" to the flame. The cinnamon will sparkle orange in the blue flame, and looks really neat.

Let the flames go out. Serve over ice cream if you wish, but some hardcores like me like it just like it is. Yum.

Variations: one may substitute any fruit for this dish that has a correspondingly flavored liqueur -- peaches, pears, whatever.

Link Posted: 6/7/2005 12:00:41 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I'm confused. You've already said you are GOING to have steaks. You said you HAVE to have tiramisu for desert. You've already said you are doing potatoes. What suggestions are you looking for? How much do you plan on feeding this girl?

Doesn't have to be steaks but a choice cut would be easiest.

I'd welcome variations on Steaks or something else beef.

BTW, no outside grill so I'll be using a grill pan (cast iron with grill slates) on the burner.

I also have a display stove (one of those flat, butane gas burners) that I could use to make side dishes.
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 12:04:29 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Bernaise:

2 oz white wine vinegar
2 oz cider vinegar
1 bay leaf
2 tarragon stems
5-6 black peppercorns
2 white peppercorns

OMG, isn't there something in a package I can doctor up?

yeah, it's called knorr..

I know, I know.  I want to put forth the effort but still have time for some cuddling afterwards and I want her to be involved too, so we can do this together and spend some time in the kitchen working together.

Keep in mind, I still have to do dishes afterwards.
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 12:14:28 AM EDT
[#29]
BTW, guys....I'm emphasizing fast so I can do most of this myself within.....say.....1-2 hours.

What I'm planning (taking into account murphy's law) is to go shopping for groceries with her.  Have a menu with recipes on index cards and then we can work on a dish together.....say we do Raviolis.....we can both work on the raviolis together then I'll do the sauce.  Then if we do Tiramisu, then I can make the cream filling at home and we can do the assembly together and put it in the fridge to chill.  I can grill shrimp for the scampi and then we can put it in the oven to keep warm or throw steaks on the grill.

I'd like your input on how to work out the timing so everything is hot and fresh while we still have a chance to chat at the table.

I'm open to any and all dinner suggestions on what courses would be fast, beautiful and still delicious.

I can alter my plans, we're on for this Saturday so there's plenty of time to plan this so we have a good time.
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 12:17:02 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cripes, made from scratch?  BTW, she's allergic to citric acid, it burns her mouth.  Can't be having that, can I?

Ever done a Tiramisu before?  It's her fave.

Yep, from scratch.
Its a Citron cheesecake.
Essentially, an lemon cheesecake with key lime pie on top and a cour cream glaze on top of that with a strawberry puree or orange glace on the side.
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 12:22:46 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Doesn't have to be steaks but choice cut would be easiest.

I'd welcome variations on Steaks or something else beef.

BTW, no outside grill so I'll be using a grill pan (cast iron with grill slates) on the burner.

I also have a display stove (one of those flat, butane gas burners) that I could use to make side dishes.

If you don;t have a grill, I suggest broiling in the oven. Alot of people fuck it up, but if you do it right they are very, very good. Set your rack on the second highest setting from the top. About 4 inches below the broiler element. Set oven to broil.

Season your steaks with everything you want EXCEPT the salt/salt products. Pepper, garlic, anything else. Wait until AFTER they come out of the oven to use any salt, lowrey's or whatever. Cook 5 minutes on one side, flip, four on the other. That should be a perfect mid to mid rare. Also, get the best steaks you can. No amount of proper cooking can make a bad steak good.

I suggest some sauteed onions and mushrooms with the steak. That should be self explanitory. Butter, pan, onions mushrooms, and sautee. A little white wine also kicks some extra flavor, but don't go crazy on seasoning. The mushrooms and onions taste fine they way they are, I promise.

Also, asparagus spears. Boil some for around four minutes and salt to taste. Be sure and make some little dishes of butter for dipping.

Skip the potatoes. Pasta is a starch too. Maybe do a lightly olive oiled and seasoned angel hair pasta with fresh tomatoes. Just a little nest, don't want her filling up on it. I also like to add artichoke hearts.

Pop your steak on the plate, top decoratively or side accent with the onions and shrooms. Use capers or peppercorns to accent further.

Asparagus spears to the right side of the steak at an angle, make it pretty.

Pasta nest in the remaining space. Make it look like art, not a pile of noodles.

Presentation is what makes a good meal seemingly great. Make that plate look like you paid $85 for it at a fine steakhouse.

We could get into desert, but you said quick. There's no such thing as an IMPRESSIVE desert that is quick. Cheesecake will suffice but it's kind of a "cooking date cliche'" in my opinion. A GOOD steak dinner at my house takes around 5 hours to prepare, that's before desert. An impressive meal, takes all day, but it also tastes like it took all day.
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 12:30:51 AM EDT
[#32]
Between the Scampi and the Mashed Potatoes, you have a LOT of garlic there. I would pass on the garlic bread if you plan on kissing this lady...

Tiramisu is a PITA to make and you need a lot of time. Something simple like chocolate fondue with fresh fruit to kill that garlic breath might be refreshing... The chocolate can be saved for later when it cools too

Get her a T-Bone..It has the NY Strip and a small piece of Fillet..If you want a larger piece of fillet, get a Porterhouse, it's the same thing...Show this lady you know what you're doing! If you can get U-10 shrimp, cut them in half lengthwise leaving them in the shell and broil them with garlic butter and throw some fresh chopped parsley (Italian flat leaf) on top after they come out of the broiler..That's a killer presentation...

Another suggestion would be to steam the veggies and add some fresh dill or fennel and S&P to them and keep them out of the frying pan. You have steak which has grease, shrimp which has grease (butter), mashed taters that have more butter in them and possible bread of some sort which will be served with butter.. You have a LOT of fat in this dinner...

You have some very rich food going on here. Even thought you have red meat as the entree', I would go with a full bodied dry white like a chardonay...

Just my .02

Link Posted: 6/7/2005 12:37:33 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

If you don;t have a grill, I suggest broiling in the oven. Alot of people fuck it up, but if you do it right they are very, very good. Set your rack on the second highest setting from the top. About 4 inches below the broiler element. Set oven to broil.

Season your steaks with everything you want EXCEPT the salt/salt products. Pepper, garlic, anything else. Wait until AFTER they come out of the oven to use any salt, lowrey's or whatever. Cook 5 minutes on one side, flip, four on the other. That should be a perfect mid to mid rare. Also, get the best steaks you can. No amount of proper cooking can make a bad steak good.

I suggest some sauteed onions and mushrooms with the steak. That should be self explanitory. Butter, pan, onions mushrooms, and sautee. A little white wine also kicks some extra flavor, but don't go crazy on seasoning. The mushrooms and onions taste fine they way they are, I promise.

Also, asparagus spears. Boil some for around four minutes and salt to taste. Be sure and make some little dishes of butter for dipping.

Skip the potatoes. Pasta is a starch too. Maybe do a lightly olive oiled and seasoned angel hair pasta with fresh tomatoes. Just a little nest, don't want her filling up on it. I also like to add artichoke hearts.

Pop your steak on the plate, top decoratively or side accent with the onions and shrooms. Use capers or peppercorns to accent further.

Asparagus spears to the right side of the steak at an angle, make it pretty.

Pasta nest in the remaining space. Make it look like art, not a pile of noodles.

Presentation is what makes a good meal seemingly great. Make that plate look like you paid $85 for it at a fine steakhouse.

GREAT suggestions....only the part about the Asparagus and Artichoke.  I love them both, especially Asparagus tips with steaks but I was always taught no Asparagus or Artichoke with wine.....does that still hold true?

I like the idea of an angel hair pasta.  Maybe I could cut the NY strip into strips and lay them on top the bed of pasta.

I'm all down with presentation, I just need some tips on how to do it!  ;)

I need to get some of those shallow, oval dishes for a scampi dish.  Wot are those things called again?
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 12:38:05 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I could use a recipe for Bernaise sauce.  I can handle the Mignon and carmelized onions.

Anyone got a good recipe for Tiramisu?  (with something in place of Grande Marnier like rum?)

I'm a romantic cook as well and I have made tiramisu once and let me tell you I didn't think the work was worth it. That's literally like a whole day (or more depending how far you go) of cooking for ONE dessert. Speaking from experience you are better off just buying a good tiramisu. It will be appreciated just as much. The only way to get a little more appreciation for cooking it is to make a big deal to her of how hard it was to make, which I think is tacky.

Law of fair return.
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 12:49:30 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm a romantic cook as well and I have made tiramisu once and let me tell you I didn't think the work was worth it. That's literally like a whole day (or more depending how far you go) of cooking for ONE dessert. Speaking from experience you are better off just buying a good tiramisu. It will be appreciated just as much. The only way to get a little more appreciation for cooking it is to make a big deal to her of how hard it was to make, which I think is tacky.

Law of fair return.

Too true on the Tiramisu.  

I could use some better ideas on Dessert.

I was thinking, alternatively......an apple tart on puff pastry, ala mode.  Simple and delicious.

Take some puff pastry, cut into two circles, slice some granny smith apples....spoon some apricot preserves in a circle, put the apples on top, bake and spoon some more apricot preserves on top to glaze.  Put a scoop of french vanilla ice cream on top and serve.
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 12:52:07 AM EDT
[#36]
Can anyone suggest a recipe for Chocolate molten lava cake?  You know, a small chocolate cake with hot fudge filling inside.  I don't know what it's called but it looks devilishly delicious.
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 12:52:59 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Law of fair return.

I was thinking, alternatively......an apple tart on puff pastry, ala mode.  Simple and delicious.

Take some puff pastry, cut into two circles, slice some granny smith apples....spoon some apricot preserves in a circle, put the apples on top, bake and spoon some more apricot preserves on top to glaze.  Put a scoop of french vanilla ice cream on top and serve.

The best easiest romantic dessert to make is creme bruleè. It tastes great, easy to make and most importantly sounds sophisticated. If you want the best recipe I've found (from my sister) I can pm it to you.
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 12:54:24 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Law of fair return.

The best easiest romantic dessert to make is creme bruleè. It tastes great, easy to make and most importantly sounds sophisticated. If you want the best recipe I've found (from my sister) I can pm it to you.

Please do!
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 1:01:01 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Yeah, just wait till he fires up that butane torch in the kitchen! Yee Haw!

Creme Brulee is a very fine dessert...But, not as romantic as some type of "finger" food like fruit and chocolate as mentioned above...

Link Posted: 6/7/2005 1:01:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Try the 6,000 calories of MRE's.
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 1:03:37 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Try the 6,000 calories of MRE's.

LOL.  Get some beef spew, boil them in a pot of water then dump it on a plate with crackers on the side?
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 1:04:08 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, just wait till he fires up that butane torch in the kitchen! Yee Haw!

Hell yea!  That's what I'm saying!
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 1:07:02 AM EDT
[#43]
Someone here told a story about a quick dinner idea containing 3 MRE's, the poor girl ate it all and ended up having really bad gastrointestinal problems for the rest of the night, he ended up confessing. She was upset, I'd imagine .
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 1:09:27 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Law of fair return.

Why you be holding out?

Why not go with like a little salad + the shrimp scampi on top, chilled?

That way, it can be done before everything elseand not have to worry about cold/hot timewise.
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 1:09:27 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Someone here told a story about a quick dinner idea containing 3 MRE's, the poor girl ate it all and ended up having really bad gastrointestinal problems for the rest of the night, he ended up confessing. She was upset, I'd imagine .

How the hell can I get some lovin' if my date's on the shitter all night?  
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 1:11:03 AM EDT
[#46]
I don't know. I like the way Dk-Prof thinks though.
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 1:33:28 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Law of fair return.

Why you be holding out?

Why not go with like a little salad + the shrimp scampi on top, chilled?

That way, it can be done before everything elseand not have to worry about cold/hot timewise.

No shit. I HATE people who pull that "I'll PM you" shit, like their information is gonna stop the world.
Its a recipe. I gauren-damn-tee you i can google 30 recipes that are as good as the one you have. This isnt the secret to cold fusion, its a recipe for creme brulee.
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 2:48:06 AM EDT
[#48]
To be fair, it might be his sister secret recipe.

BTW, still waiting on that homemade Ravioli recipe!  
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 3:34:57 AM EDT
[#49]
sounds good to me

i'd make that a baked potato and no veggies w/ garlic bread

and make it a 16oz steak
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 3:42:59 AM EDT
[#50]
pie for dessert?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top