Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/28/2012 4:04:45 PM EDT
I posted a thread weeks ago about selecting a career for a young family member (no pics will be forthcoming, don't ask...) and based partially on the very helpful replies here, she looked more deeply into the COTA program at a local college and now is doing some more investigation into it.  Thanks so far.  

Can anyone give their observations on the type of work life, typical work day and schedule you have seen?  Of course she wants to shadow  a local one and is setting that up, but wants broader input.
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 8:03:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Hoping to get some replies this fine Saturday!
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 8:38:29 AM EDT
[#2]
They implement OT plans as directed by the supervising OT, which varies depending on the setting. Could be helping with toileting, dressing, grooming, hygiene, cooking, oral motor treatments, etc. They report to the OT who signs off on the reports, there is no responsibility placed on the COTA to evaluate or develop plans and goals.

OTs are in extremely high demand right now and can get a job pretty much anywhere without even looking much at all. OTs are in the top 10 careers and one of the highest job satisfaction rates in the country (top 3 I think).

-This is from my wife who is an OT. Hope it helps.
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 8:44:32 AM EDT
[#3]
My wife was a COTA for about 8 years.  She worked geriatrics, where most COTAs do. She did not like it.  Lots of micro-management from staff, lots of justifying 'units' (hours), ever-short budgets, lots of changing diapers and cleaning patients.  She said the worst thing was that, in geriatrics, you would rarely get to see any results.  Most of the patients were in a nursing home waiting to die, so you never had the satisfaction of teaching a person how to function again, and then sending them back into the world--you were just marginally improving their quality of life until they died (which is a noble thing to do).  My wife always wanted to get into a position where she could treat kids, infants or at least younger adults, but geriatrics is where the money and jobs were.  I couldn't do what she did--a nursing home is a depressing place to visit, let alone work.  It was heart warming to listen to some of the patient's stories when they would talk, however--most lead fascinating lives.  My wife is now a pre-school teacher, and does not regret leaving the field.  However, I believe things would have been different had she been able to find a COTA position working with kids.
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 3:30:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I am assuming it is not a 8-5 40+ hour a week job?  The one I know seems to have very flexible hours.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top